Acebeam        

View Poll Results: Would you buy a McLuxIII-T is another run takes place?

Voters
221. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, no way I miss this piece of beauty!

130 58.82%
  • More than 50% chances that I buy one, but can't be sure!

61 27.60%
  • Sure that I won't.

30 13.57%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

Default Re: McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

Tino,

You make great points about the absent piston. And I believe this was Don's intention, not to mnetion a huge cost issue as well to machine the piston out of Ti. Kiss is right on with this light.

F.

I'd be in for any McGizmo Ti light. I'm especially interested in the 27LT. I like the 2x123 with 27L size.

Flashaholic*

Hi all

Yep I'd love one of the Ti-IIIs- I like the original twisty with smaller reflector, not the 27LT. I love the fact that you can upgrade the LED.
    Good luck everyone.
    Kind Regards

David

Thinking Re: McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

I'm fortunate to have a McLux-T Ti light and my single biggest gripe for EDC use is lack of the Piston Drive tailswitch especially for quick momentary operation. Don had stated the Ti and standard McLux PD heads are not interchangeable, and I found he was half right. I placed the Ti head on a Chrome McLuxIII-PD body and achieved a Piston Drive McLux-T Frankenlight of my own. The Ti body will not accept standard PD heads, but the Ti head fits and works as a twisty and PD on a PD body. Cheers to PSM for the inspiration to do the "mod". Heres a quick and dirty pic:

LIGHT TRAVELS AT 186282.397 MILES PER SECOND... ANY FASTER WOULD BE DANGEROUS

Quote Originally Posted by ICUDoc
    Hi all

Yep I'd love one of the Ti-IIIs- I like the original twisty with smaller reflector, not the 27LT. I love the fact that you can upgrade the LED.
    Good luck everyone.
    I'm with you!!!
    This makes the titanium host a lifetime investment. Whatever happens:
    - do not like the tint
    - find by chance a terrific bin, UYOH or so...
    - LED or concerter failure
    - huge improvement in the future that would justify an upgrade
    You can always count on your McLuxIII-T to be tweaked.
    Bead Blasting McGizmos - PM disabled, email aoc.paypal (at) gmail.com

Hey, if you find a UY0H somewhere, be a pal and grab one for me!!! That would be one HELL of a dream LED....

Don promised a step by step LED replacement guide after SHOT, but didnt have time before hitting the warm waters of Maui, so after his return, be sure and remind him of that......
    LIGHT TRAVELS AT 186282.397 MILES PER SECOND... ANY FASTER WOULD BE DANGEROUS

Hi,

The step by step will be rather quick!
    There is only two wires to unsolder, and one screw to take off.

Still I agree that a step by step "DIY" would be usefull for those who are not used to mod, and are (rightly!!) scared of spoiling anything.

I think there are also a few tips to know about, just like the use of a non adhesive thermal compound between the heatsink and the titanium head...

Hi guys!

I hope to subject some of these Ti lights to clean salt air and water here on Maui.

Last year, I was here with a PD and HD45 proto and gave them similar exposure. At present, I am inclined to take a look at a refined revision of the PD and get it quoted in Ti. My last night home, I machined a Ti PD [candle] head that is absent any optics what so ever. It uses a window seal design that I have implemented in some 12V fixed light fixtures that are currently in production stages. This simple light will allow me to test the weather resistance of the design. I have a couple other protos to test and play with to get some ideas of where to go next.

The 27L reflector is a part that I am real happy with and it's a bummer that I was finally in a position to build some 27LT's just prior to leaving but no time with which to build them. It has been suggested that a 27L Ti head would be nice as an option. Well I suspect that such an option would be too pricey and not in demand enough to support its undertaking. I have to take these small but expensive runs one at a time and carefuly!

Any way, to re cap, tentitive plan is to look at a Ti PD with minor revisions and improvements over the original PD. Of significance would be the Al heat sink as used in the T and some refinements in geometry that should improve the fit and function of any given set of parts but not be of any reconizable difference to the user. There may be partial compatability with existing PD's but not as a primary design goal or consideration.

There is no list and I will not attempt to keep any e-mails sent as a request to be on this non existant list. Sorry but I won't take orders or try to keep track of potential customers for vapor ware! If and when a project takes some form and life, I will keep you guys appraised of this but not to any great extent or as an open topic of discussion or design options. If it is, it will be what it is.

Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

>>There is no list and I will not attempt to keep any e-mails sent as a request to be on this non existant list.

>>It has been suggested that a 27L Ti head would be nice as an option. Well I suspect that such an option would be too pricey and not in demand enough to support its undertaking.

How about a list for that one?

I'll take one...

If I may dream ... Don ... a 27L head on a 2x123 body with a piston would make quite a few people here happy ... at least I'd be drooling like seldom before ...

bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

I am satisfied. Ti PD. Nuf said.

But count me in on all that other stuff too. Matter fact, anything with Don's name on it, I'll buy.

Flashaholic

OMG!!! Thank you so much Don. You just kept my hopes alive. Thank you so much. Now go out there and enjoy your vacation.
    LED: Gladius; Orb Raw (UWOJ); Brass LionCub (TXOJ); Elektrolumens ELX6; Classic Chameleon; McLux Ti PD
    Incan: SF 6P; Mags
    Hybrid: SF A2

Ti PD?

27L Ti HEAD?

....you're such a tease...

Flashaholic*

Sounds great!
    McCree XR-19C | Ti PD UVIJ | PD-UX1K | 27LT X-Cree Mod | Ti- ExoLion #14 | Aleph 3 WWOT | Milkyspit L1 | TnC: HyperLux V's, KeyLux N-Cell/AAA's | Orb RAW U-bin | Space Needle II Clone's | Surefire: 622, Nice and Green L2 Hotwires: HA-III Mag11 | Cmaccel Finned HA-III ROP 550/1300

Quote Originally Posted by Solstice
    As much as I am sure that this light is a true work of art, there is no way that I can currently rationalize owning a $400 light. A PD in HA-Nat, on the other hand, has been tempting me for some time now....

I agree 100%. Spent too much on expensive lights.
    HUG YOUR DOG!

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo
    Hi guys!
    [...]
    Of significance would be the Al heat sink as used in the T
    That would be AWESOME
    Dang! I like this thread very much

Just think only 5 1/2 more weeks....who knows what will turn up......

I just hope that the price (with the ti piston, if it was to happen) will not jump out of my reach
    Already saving money

i think 2-3 stages on a light is the best.

just wondering if its possible to have the Low setting set to be higher then 20ma? i like using level 4/5 or 3/5 (5 being dimmest) on my Lionheart. if so i would most likely change my answer to 100% yes instead of the more then 50%. i would have to sell a few of my lights quickly just to purchase the Mclux3-T.
    The early bird gets the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by tino_ale
    I just hope that the price (with the ti piston, if it was to happen) will not jump out of my reach
    Already saving money
    I Think i'm ok up to 500$ or 600 $ max. I've to add border's taxes which is near 20% of the original price ... =/

That Ti-27 PD is gorgeous! Definitley count me in for one if it goes production!

Great thread. We need a list for a list.

Cliff
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats!
    H.L.Mencken (1880-1956)

Count me in too!

A Ti PD would be perfect, with the 27mm would be better than perfect (nirvana). Daddy doesn't need a new pair of shoes, just a Ti PD.
    Primary Duty Lights: 511 Light For Life
    Backup Lights: Mac's SST-50 EDC titanium
    Report Writing Lights: Draco XRE

Ti-PD and a 27L head may be pricey but I'll still buy it

I'm in for anything Don makes out of Ti, I dont care if its a tooth pick!
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

I don't think the Ti-PD will ever come with the 27L head. It's more likely IMO that it is offered, if it is ever offered, as an option for the Ti-PD....

Next weeks/months will tell us more.

DANG my hope of getting a McLuxIII-T (PD or not) has jumped through the roof with Don's answer

Well let me just put my name on the list....err I mean the lack of a list, but the list here of guys who would buy ...I mean not that I am trying to jump on a list that doesn't exist, but if there were a list I would want to be on it...
    Mmmmm flashlights

WOOOHOOOO check out the raffle and the number #1 item!

Thanks Don!

Ryan

Always interested in Don's fine work.

Karlthev

Wow, just saw the raffle! THank YOU!

Karlthev

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast