FourSevens        

View Poll Results: Would you buy a McLuxIII-T is another run takes place?

Voters
220. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, no way I miss this piece of beauty!

129 58.64%
  • More than 50% chances that I buy one, but can't be sure!

61 27.73%
  • Sure that I won't.

30 13.64%
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

Well heck, since everyone's indicating their interest in a Ti, I might as well show mine, too. =)

Mmmmmm, titanium. Argurgle. (With thanks to Homer.)

- FITP
    Obscenely bright or unbelievably tiny are my weaknesses...

I was just wondering if Don would limit the amount of purchase per member to his upcoming light. Its seem to me that these flashlights are selling for double the amount once production stop.
    Kinda unfair for some if people are buying for quick buck instead of keeping it for pure hobby and collection purpose.
    Lights were once incandescent. And halogen bulb were great

GhostReaction,

I think we've done this to ourselves with the near hysteria over getting these lights. I've been disturbed by this since the big sale last night. I am guessing that my chance at getting a new ti McLux or 27 has gone down considerably because of this short-supply buying. Why, oh why did you go on vacation, Don?

I am concerned that either the price will go up to where I can't get a light or speculators will try and grab them for resale. I've got a McLux pd and maybe I should just keep my opinions to myself and enjoy what I already have. Rant off.

Gary

Hi guys,

With some of the recent prices in reselling of some of these lights, it would seem that there is a significant disparity in supply and demand; supply too limited. Well I am the person responsible for the supply and its limitation was based on many considerations with the one exception of intent to drive the price up. I have not nor do I plan, personally, to exploit a short supply with an inflated price. My pricing has been based on actual costs, time and money invested and a desire for a reasonable return on that invested. If the actual demand is in excess of my levels of supply then the market can determine their value and this may be a boon to those buying as an investment but let them beware of the risks they assume. I am trying to provide an honest and functional tool at the high end; not an investment opportunity. Should the latter be the case then cool and that is certainly more comforting to me than my lights showing up in resales at significantly reduced prices!!

To date, none of my offerings have been exploited by speculators to any great or obvious extent and I have not limited the number of lights to a person, in my recollection. Since shipping is included in the sale, I enjoy a savings in time and postage when I ship multiples to a single destination. First come, first served is the only clean and managable method for me to employ in my sales. There are a few who bought multiples of the McLuxIII T but I don't think I have seen any of these offered up, to date, on the forum. IMHO, an owner of a light is entitled to do whatever they please with their light. Also, IMHO, I as a builder and supplier am also entitled to do what ever I please but my ethics and business practices will ultimately effect and reflect on my success and acceptance in the market and I choose to be accountable as I feel I can be held accountable for my activities.

I find a certain comfort or vote of confidence in recent prices here for likely obvious reasons but I have no intention of negating that vote or dilluting its significance by exploiting the situation and adding any inflation to my prices due to the level of supply as justification. The lack of any economy of scale is a real burdon to be passed on in the price but this I have been doing all along.

None of my stuff is perfect and I have no intent of pricing it or selling it under any hype or false pretense.

This poll is about expressed interest but no one has signed on a doted line or made any commitment. When some lights are finally put up for sale, at that point you can make your buying decision. Hopefully the limb I have climbed out on will support my weight.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Don, I don't know you but just the quality of your post makes it clear why the prices for your lights are increasing. Class lights - class individual.

Cliff
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats!
    H.L.Mencken (1880-1956)

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo
    Hopefully the limb I have climbed out on will support my weight.
    Apparently the limb you climbed out on is made from Ti.

I can only hope that a new offering will come to light.(maybe with the 27mm head)

I passed on the first because of holiday expenditures but if there is another I will GLADLY be on board.

And I am one who will keep my chrome and hopefully Ti creations for myself......mine, all mine .......
    Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

McGizmo creations are welcome at my home, but they can never leave unless accompanied by an adult. (ME) Even then they have to return when I do.

I will say that Don's lights are my favorites, Chrome PD and McLux Ti. He is such a stand up guy it is rediculous!! In no way should he feel guilty for high prices due to demand!! He is one person, we are 12,000 strong!! His lights are so close to perfect everyone wants one. So how could he , 1 person, meet supply of something everyone wants.... Dont worry about us, most of us are are patient, honest, hard working people. People who like well crafted illumination tools, yes tools. I cant tell you how much I anticipate the Ti PD. It will be THE EDC of all time up to date. Some may disagree, most will agree. First come first serve is fair enough.

Ti Mclux, Ti PD, an Investment??

No way, family heirloom is more like it. Just as Yaeso says, these lights will outlast us.... Those who look at these as a moneymaking tool are out of their minds.....

Anywho, off of my soap box, Cheers to Don!!
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

And there shall be a day when I write a will before I die to hand over any of my Don made flashlight to my children.
    Don creactions are for true collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan
    No way, family heirloom is more like it. Just as Yaeso says, these lights will outlast us.... Those who look at these as a moneymaking tool are out of their minds.....
    Cheers to Don!!

All of Don's creations that I buy are going to be buried with me.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostReaction
    And there shall be a day when I write a will before I die to hand over any of my Don made flashlight to my children.
    Don creactions are for true collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by WAVE_PARTICLE
    Some may be tempted to dig you up (well, not "you" but the lights)

Quote Originally Posted by WAVE_PARTICLE
    At the beginning of Wave_Particle's funeral service his son deposited a large cedar-wood box into the open casket.
    When he returned to his seat an old friend asked him what he had placed in the casket.
    "Well" said Wave_Particle's son "I promised Father before he died that I would bury him with his collection of McLux lights and all his money".
    "You don't mean to say you actually did that?" said his friend in horror.
    "Of course" he replied "I gave him a cheque".
    Last edited by jacklovell; 03-25-2006 at 07:00 PM.

anybody got extra shovels?

Quote Originally Posted by GhostReaction
    anybody got extra shovels?
    I have a backhoe

Flashaholic*

Any chance that there may be another run of the T without the PD ?

I may be in the minority here, but my preference is the straight up T. I like the flat, sealed surface of the T, and didn't use the PD function too often when I had one. I'm not really concerned with owning a light from a small, limited run, as I won't be selling. I'm just hoping for another opportunity to purchase such a great light and work of art. My children will also thank you years from now, when they are gifted these special lights.

Either way, if Don's making more Ti lights, I'm in !

I'm in
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" Plato
    RIP Ben

Flashaholic

When Don opens a sign up for a new Ti PD I'm going to be there real quick. Count me in. I also might like the current light without the PD-would have to think on which to get if both were made.

Steve

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by SteveStephens
    When Don opens a sign up for a new Ti PD I'm going to be there real quick. Count me in. I also might like the current light without the PD-would have to think on which to get if both were made.

Steve
    Yeah, you, me and about a hundred others.

I don't think that there has been any indication of another run without the PD, yet. *fingers crossed*

I have officially halted all light purchases in anticipation for one of Don's Ti lights. My last purchase was a 5W HD45. That will be it until Don releases his Ti series PD.

Well, it's about time I relax the wallet anyway..... My wife should be happy about that .

WP

I think that easily over 150 could be sold. And with my luck I will be number 151 and miss out on it.

I'd buy a Ti in a blink of an eye if there was a run coming.

Flashaholic*

I`m interested! I`ll take it! I`m all in! Sign me up! I want it! I need it! I got to have it! Where do I PayPal!

I know, not yet. But I don`t want to miss out this time

I`m just going to sit here in the dark and wait

Don, is that you?

I'm in line for this functional art.

Count me in!!

I missed the last Ti light and im not missing this one!

Keep up the great work Don!
    Benny

Flashaholic*

I'm in, if pricing is around 300. I thought i said that sooner but apperantly not. if I dont make the run its ok.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

I would imagine this light would sell way in excess of $300.00. You have to remember the complexities of machining that Ti piston which the other lacked and it was $380.

Flashaholic

Peak told me today they had ordered some Ti rod and tubing and did a small run of Ti lights not long ago. Now, when it's time to reorder more Ti the price has more than doubled- I don't think they reordered. I hope Don has his own Ti mine so he can afford the stuff. I'd be surprised it a new McLux Ti light were less than $400.

Steve

Hi guys,

maybe I´ve missed something and one of you can help me understand what to expect from the Ti PD. To me it sounds like McGizmo is making a aluminium PD with titanium parts? Thanks in advance

Quote from McGizmo:
    "Hi guys,
    There is no line and there is no group buy. The parts on order are for a Ti version of the original PD but with some minor tweaks as well as the Al heat sink as used in the McLux T.

That is a Ti head, bezel ring, sleeve and piston along with clip and clip screws."

Yepp, same light, titanium parts. And maybe a different 27mm head, but that's vaporware right now
    bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Thanks Bernie!
    I know just vaporware. So don´t tell anyone!

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast