FourSevens        

View Poll Results: Would you buy a McLuxIII-T is another run takes place?

Voters
220. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, no way I miss this piece of beauty!

129 58.64%
  • More than 50% chances that I buy one, but can't be sure!

61 27.73%
  • Sure that I won't.

30 13.64%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

Default Re: McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

H3 Vial in the Ti Piston, I have died and gone to Ti PD heaven! Everyone knows I LOVE tritium!
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

H3 vial ... argh! I'd prefer it clean, I don't like exposed H3 vials. But I *think* I'll take one nevertheless ... and I won't be whining about it either ...
    bk
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

For such a unique light, I for one think that a U-bin should be standard... Besides, at that price point, the price difference is really a drop in the bucket.

I just think it's kinda silly to use a second-best LED in a best-of-class light made with the best materials available. I know the Luxeon Lottery applies regardless of bin, but why not raise the bar a bit for the Rolls-Royce of flashlights?

Quote Originally Posted by kennyj
    For such a unique light, I for one think that a U-bin should be standard... Besides, at that price point, the price difference is really a drop in the bucket.

I just think it's kinda silly to use a second-best LED in a best-of-class light made with the best materials available. I know the Luxeon Lottery applies regardless of bin, but why not raise the bar a bit for the Rolls-Royce of flashlights?

Maybe the difference in brightness is too small to tell the difference. Though if it made a difference in runtime, then that would be a different story!

I know we're nowhere near the time yet and there's a good chance Don won't be doing custom orders, but I'll be saving my UW0J just for this light...just in case.

-DF
    KineticParadox ...a personal web space with my CBA Battery Testing and my LED Bin Coding Charts.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHonu
    Maybe the difference in brightness is too small to tell the difference. Though if it made a difference in runtime, then that would be a different story!
    That's exactly the reason - the difference in brightness is relatively small (in fact, a high Y-bin can sometimes be brighter than a low U-bin.) Still, it counts, and when you do things like push light through a material that only lets small amounts of light through (I'm frequently shining through window tint, for instance) it can help.

IIRC, Don (or maybe someone else with an IS or lightbox?) observed T-binned PDs ranging from as low as 40 lumens to as high as 60 lumens. U-bins raise that spread a bit, bringing the minimum and maximum up a bit. The U-bins won't necessarily guarantee that you get a full 60 lumens out at minimum, but they make it much more likely.

Runtime is actually comparable regardless (depends more on the forward voltage than anything else.) The lower a letter in the alphabet that the last letter in the bin code happens to be, the less energy the LED needs to produce light at its rated level (this isn't necessarily an indicator of overall efficiency.)

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo

The light is essentially a PD with the extras; Ti bezel ring, Ti fasteners and a Ti piston with H3 vial.
    Do I see this correctly; the light is an HAIII aluminum body with Ti bezel, fasterners and piston but not a Ti body? That would be pretty much what you can get today except for the Ti piston. Or DO we get a Ti body? That is what I think we are looking for.

Will you be making any more Ti without the piston like the last run? I like the simplicity of that one and the difference in milling on the body.

Steve

Surley Not!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveStephens
    Do I see this correctly; the light is an HAIII aluminum body with Ti bezel, fasterners and piston but not a Ti body?
    My understanding is that the whole flashlight will be made out of Ti. The body, the head, the bezel ring, the piston, the clip, the fasteners...

kennyj, as long as Don will be offering higher binned luxeon for those who wants it, I don't see why the standard option TYOJ would be a problem. You get the bin you want to pay for.
    Bead Blasting McGizmos - PM disabled, email aoc.paypal (at) gmail.com

That´s what I thought as well first, but...

Quote from McGizmo:
    "Hi guys,
    There is no line and there is no group buy. The parts on order are for a Ti version of the original PD but with some minor tweaks as well as the Al heat sink as used in the McLux T.

That is a Ti head, bezel ring, sleeve and piston along with clip and clip screws."

I´ve asked this a few posts ago. And it doesn´t look like there will be a complete Ti-light, but just some Ti-components in an standart PD.

Ben

I think that the fact that the body will be made out of Ti is so obvious that Don didn't find it needed to mention it. Why would he offer a light that is completely made ot Ti except... the body!?! Doesn't make sense to me.

Let's wait for a confirmation from the master
    Bead Blasting McGizmos - PM disabled, email aoc.paypal (at) gmail.com

Hi guys,
    On the first Ti run, I elected to use TY0H for a few reasons. Low Vf would typically imply greater efficacy with less heat; a consideration for a light that can't claim thermal relief as a strong point. The Y0 is a high color temperature at full drive current but this light was at two underdriven levels with a resulting colorshift.

The same considerations do apply to the Ti PD that is in the works. If I open the Ti PD offering to LED choices, this means that I will be building the lights possibly one or a couple at a time and keeping them isolated from each other with no clear or obvious distinction of difference without marking them. This is added time and consideration and admittedly, at the price these lights will go at, so what!?!?! It's the least I can offer, right? Well, time is the one resource I am short on and most protective of. If I offer LED bin choices, I will open the door to dialogues of one on one with many who will want to discuss the options and differences at length, via e-mails. Not only is this very time consuming, repetative and frustrating, it is based on subjective values and opens the door to should have, would have, could have and I changed my mind; can I exchange..........

I am not ruling out opening this to LED choice but I know that if I do, I will regret it, regardless of what I say and the content of discussion on the forum. I can spell out that you can make your choice on LED and you get what you choose, plain and simple and it is not open to discussion. I will still get the e-mail from someone who ignores the forum thread, isn't aware of it or simply doesn't mind asking a simple question: "So, please explain the differences in the LED's. I am a newbie and not clear on these..."

The Ti PD is all 6-4 titanium (head, bezel ring, sleeve, piston, clip and clip fasteners). It will use an Al heat sink just like the previous "T" does and this means that the light engine can be removed from the host with the removal of one screw and unsoldering of the LED leads. The converter as well as LED can easily be changed by anyone with the proper tools and ability.

These will be built initially with Joker Luxeon III's mounted on Luxeon III based heat sinks and coupled with McR-20-J reflectors. I do have some new Lumiled "universal" heat sinks on order that will be available and possibly offered in conjunction with the lights themselves. These heatsinks are designed to accept a K2 as well as the Luxeon III's. Whether this option is of any value still remains to be seen!

I grant you all the right to ask any question you wish in these threads but please grant me the right to choose if and when I answer any question. I have a real problem ignoring any unsolicited e-mail I receive and it frustrates me when I find the need to respond in a timely fashion to clear the inbox. In regards to my designs and offerings, I have the fortune as will as misfortune of being in the driver's seat. I don't want to close my ears to the requests and comments of any passengers but on the other hand, I do need to drive and concentrate and the number of destinations is very finite as well as one at a time.

EDIT: The "sleeve" is the body of the PD. ALL exposed metal of the Ti PD will be 6-4 titanium. The only other metals in the light will all be interior and consist of: Al reflector, nickel plated brass contact ring, S.S. converter mounting screw, silver plated berylium (sp)/ copper Kilroy, silver plated tapered battery spring and then the metal in the converter components as well as the battery.
    Last edited by McGizmo; 04-15-2006 at 01:26 PM.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Don, as a new owner of a chrome PD I have the utmost respect for you, your work and your time. Whatever you decide, whenever, is fine with me. I'm glad to hear the LED is easily replaced, as it gives people the option of installing their own "prefered" bin if so desired. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that this endeavor goes through and that I am part of it

-DF
    KineticParadox ...a personal web space with my CBA Battery Testing and my LED Bin Coding Charts.

Quote Originally Posted by DFiorentino
    Don, as a new owner of a chrome PD I have the utmost respect for you, your work and your time. Whatever you decide, whenever, is fine with me. I'm glad to hear the LED is easily replaced, as it gives people the option of installing their own "prefered" bin if so desired. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that this endeavor goes through and that I am part of it

-DF
    What he said.

Cliff
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats!
    H.L.Mencken (1880-1956)

"sleeve" that´s the keyword that made me wonder.
    Sorry guys bad translation skills!
    Where is colubrid when I need him to help me speak english?

Ben

Don you make the call here, no worries with me. The possibility for us to change on our own the led is good enough.
    Lights were once incandescent. And halogen bulb were great

That's actually a really cool feature (the ability to easily change out LEDs, with K2 compatibility.) I might just get a stock Ti PD and order a bunch of U-bins to try on my own...

Flashaholic*

Don,

Will there be any appreciable difference between using a "T" or "U" bin since both are underdriven anyway? If so, then wouldn't using TxxH sound more practical unless you are able to provide UxxH leds.
    Bill

Flashaholic

Whatever bin Don chooses, I am In I have a feeling my quest for a Ti PD is about to end
    LED: Gladius; Orb Raw (UWOJ); Brass LionCub (TXOJ); Elektrolumens ELX6; Classic Chameleon; McLux Ti PD
    Incan: SF 6P; Mags
    Hybrid: SF A2

I'll be among the first of the U-bin fanboys to point out that the difference, as Don has repeatedly stated, really isn't that noticable. In fact, there's no guarantee of improved performance whatsoever.

I'm just one of those freaky "must have the best" types. Perhaps I'm compensating for something. XD

A U bin will be nice. But again, I m in with whatever Don decide to put in the Ti.
    Lights were once incandescent. And halogen bulb were great

I have a T and U bin PD's, there is NO difference to my eyes whatso ever. I would rather have a nice white T bin than a undesirable tinted U bin! I am ready for these puppies though!
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Exactly PSM,
    I have a T bin PD and compared to my U bin McLux, there really isn't that much difference, the only difference I can perceive is when they are running high. I actaully prefer my T bin, as PSM stated, because of the tint, but the U bin mystique still prevails. I am really open to whatever Don wants to do.

If you take a T and U bin LED that are both reasonable representations of their bins, you will certainly measure a difference in their output, even at the lower drive levels. In a side by side comparison illuminating a distant object, you will be able to see a difference but not to any strong significant difference, IMHO.

If you plan to use the light in competition, go for the U bin. If you plan to use the light in normal navigation and illumination needs, your knowledge of the difference will have substance but your experience will not demonstrate this difference.

The design and intent of usage of the PD's does not place a heavy demand on the light engines. They are not race cars and do not need steller specifications or performance potential to function satisfactorily, again, IMHO. If you want great numbers then you need great parts. Peace of mind is a subjective state and although bin differences are objective and measurable, their significance in the real picture is greatly subjective as well.

The very early Luxeons were simply inadequate for many applications they were used in. Today's Luxeons are more than adequate for these same applications. To my way of thinking and actual needs in a 1" OD and single CR123, EDC type light, 30 lumens of light output will get the job done and more often, I need and want much less than that. The first luxeon's couldn't provide 30 lumens. Now we can get double that. If I only need 30 but can have the choice of 40 or 60 then how important is the 60 to me?

I don't expect others to have the same perceptions that I do and although my required threshold has been met and exceeded in these particular lights, yours may or may not have been met. If you want a hot rod, to yourself be true! These lights arent' hot rods though and don't claim to be.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

*Flashaholic*

like Don said, if you take good examples of both Tbin and Ubin.

since most of us don't have integrating spheres. We'll have to make do with our integrating ceilings

no question you can tell a difference between Ubin and Tbin. differance is barely perceptable. I agree with don that for real life useage, there is no functional difference. especially when luxeon is underdriven.

it says i voted on this at one time but i dont know what i voted, probly no,i now would say that yes ,i would most likely get one,

Popcorn Re: McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

Don, if it's that simple to change out the LED, I would rather you enjoy your time with things other than pittering over emitter bins. I'll be very picky about the emitter than ends up living long term in the Ti PD I hope to buy and I certainly don't want you to have to deal with that neurosis.

I've expressed my own particularities reguarding tint bin in the other thread and will honestly say that I'll be happy with whatever lands, so long as I get a Ti PD.

Any idea how much these lights will weigh?

I'd also like to say that as little as a month ago I'd a thought I'd be crazy to contemplate a 450 dollar flashlight. What happened? I dropped a couple grand on a shiny rock called a diamond. Relatively speaking , 450 for something beautiful AND functional is just about dirt cheap.
    Last edited by xochi; 04-22-2006 at 10:02 PM.
    Titanium flashlights are like solid gold radial tires

Xochi,
    Good timing on your weight question. I just finished building the First Article Ti PD that I have had for a couple weeks now. Too busy!!

The Ti PD weighs 3.40 ounces and an Al PD with the Ti bezel ring and same clip weighs 3.15 ounces. The Ti would weigh more but its ti piston helps against the brass piston of the Al PD. So 10% heavier. I am happy to carry the extra weight.

Oh yeah, the FA has 6 milled flutes in the head but the run should have 8 milled flutes. No idea of the weight of the removed material of 2 additional flutes but it should go under the 3.40. These weights were with both lights hosting a Titanium CR123 battery.

EDIT: weight unit of measure corrected
    Last edited by McGizmo; 04-23-2006 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo

The Ti PD weighs 3.40 grams and an Al PD with the Ti bezel ring and same clip weighs 3.15 grams. The Ti would weigh more but its ti piston helps against the brass piston of the Al PD. So 10% heavier. I am happy to carry the extra weight.
    Unless you're on a small moon, you probably meant to say ounces...

Thanks aosty! Sleep depravation coupled with a failure to grasp the gravity of the situation coupled with a key fact:

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast