Jetbeam        

View Poll Results: Would you buy a McLuxIII-T is another run takes place?

Voters
220. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, no way I miss this piece of beauty!

129 58.64%
  • More than 50% chances that I buy one, but can't be sure!

61 27.73%
  • Sure that I won't.

30 13.64%
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

Default Re: McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

>>The Ti PD weighs 3.40 ounces and an Al PD with the Ti bezel ring and same clip weighs 3.15 ounces. The Ti would weigh more but its ti piston helps against the brass piston of the Al PD. So 10% heavier. I am happy to carry the extra weight.

Cool beans. Was wondering if the piston was brass or Ti.

Now, I just have to stop checking this forum 3 or 4 times a day in anticipation of the sale thread...

Quote Originally Posted by bmstrong
    Now, I just have to stop checking this forum 3 or 4 times a day in anticipation of the sale thread...
    You and me both brother.

But then again, if we don't we'll miss it for sure.

Cliff
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats!
    H.L.Mencken (1880-1956)

Annnn-ti-cipationnnn.....is making me wait.

How about a proxy sign up list?

The suspense is killin' me.

Any chance of extra slots in the bezel like this gorgeous little masterpiece (oh and if it's not cool to post pictures from your galleries please let me know)?
    Titanium flashlights are like solid gold radial tires

awsome, im gonna do that to mine, thanks for the pic, how are you retaining the vials
    Quote Originally Posted by xochi
    Any chance of extra slots in the bezel like this gorgeous little masterpiece (oh and if it's not cool to post pictures from your galleries please let me know)?
    Last edited by TENMMIKE; 04-24-2006 at 10:46 PM.

Xochi,
    No chance what so ever. Those were real expensive and the yield was about 50% on the parts that I had milled. sorry. The Ti piston will have a H3 vial and that will be it.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

That should totally be the next light you put up for a raffle... now if you'll excuse me, I need some tissues. I'm salivating and I can't lift my jaw.

>>You and me both brother. But then again, if we don't we'll miss it for sure.

Funny you word it like that. My brother and I have a bet running for when Don posts his classic sell thread for the Ti PD. He thinks that it'll take at least a good seven or eight hours to sell the amount of hinted Ti PD's; I have the Ti PD's sold out in less than two.

If he's right: I have to replace his video card. I'm right: He has to fund one quarter of my, if I'm lucky enough to grab one, Ti PD.

For the first time in my life I'm actually hoping that he wins

bmstrong,

I hope your brother is right too!

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo
    Xochi,
    No chance what so ever. Those were real expensive and the yield was about 50% on the parts that I had milled. sorry. The Ti piston will have a H3 vial and that will be it.
    Sorry Don, I'm just a little confused by your ambiguity .

Guys, there will be plenty of time for everyone to purchase a ti-pd. Relax! There is no need to be quivering in a corner with your laptop for the next several weeks.

Hey, I'll even personally notify you when this first run ordering begins so that you don't miss out on the sale that is anticipated to last several weeks .
    Last edited by xochi; 04-25-2006 at 06:37 PM.

Exactly Xochi. The upcomong TiPD sales thread will last a good while. People must understand that there has been some big talk on this thread, and when it actually comes time to pull the tigger, alot of people will not be able to, or they will just plain change their minds. Guys, this is just a silly Ti flashlight, I mean, who really needs a flashlight made out ot titanium anyway? I mean, I wll get one for sure, but I will probably just fiddle with it for a few weeks and put it on BST for 3/4 what I paid for it, because after all, that is all it will be worth at that time anyway. I think Don is going to have a really HARD time moving these.

Titanium........I thought it was Platinum....that's different, never mind.

Emily Littella
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats!
    H.L.Mencken (1880-1956)

Flashaholic*

Don,

Just a curious question. Does the Ti-PD look like the twisty? Your Maui pictures showed a light that look like a Ti-PD but looked nothing like the McluxIII-T. I don't believe there has been an "official" picture posted of this light yet or maybe I just haven't been paying close enough attention. Since you already have the first article, can you show us what exactly we should expect?
    Bill

Xochi: You can probably find someone on here that would be willing to mill you out those slots on the bezel. If you can find someone I'd be down for one and I'm betting some others would be too. No ones really going to want to do it unless they can make it worth there while. So there is probably going to have to be a minimum amount of people to get the ball rolling.

To my way of thinking and actual needs in a 1" OD and single CR123, EDC type light, 30 lumens of light output will get the job done and more often, I need and want much less than that.
    It's late and I can't help replying I agree with that as far as it goes, but it goes to limit the ultimate definition of an EDC to me. I distinguish between a "pocket" light (for me the CR2 Ion) and an EDC (the PD for me) and in an EDC I want the broadest use I can get. Too much light is better than too little.

Although I usually use a task specific light, and my use is often dark nights in a rural setting, having the little extra oomph of a U-bin is noticeable in my normal usage environment in comparisons I've made. It's not so much a matter of light on target as it is overall area light and the little extra confidence that inspires.

To get a little philosophical, I view properly designed "performance objects," (and the PD certainly qualifies) as "incremental sums." I don't know if it's still true, but several years ago, if you compared a top end Camry or Accord to the 6 cylinder equivalents from BMW and Mercedes, they were virtually identical on paper. The wheelbase, weight, basic performance etc. were almost indistinguishable. But anyone sensitive to what makes a car a car could easily tell one from the other when driving.

The difference is what I would call the incremental sum of one or the other. I think my point is that if you remove one of those increments from the whole and examine it independently, it would be irrelevant to the goodness of the end product. So, in a single cell light, a U-bin is irrelevant compared to a T-bin when considered on its own, but not when considered as one of the increments that go to making a great light.

On the other hand, I've seen it noted that U-bins may loose their poop at below spec levels, and I have noticed that they do seem to come alive when driven to spec or higher. I haven't seen any technical examination of this however - might be interesting and fairly easy for someone to do.

Btw, I'm with bernie way back there somewhere - 2x123 27L mit piston! In AL with a Ti piston
    There is but one life.
    God breathes through the scuttling cockroach
    and the soaring hawk.
    And yet, I am not a cat person.

Relax?
    I m in a different time zone and this would really make me lose some sleep.
    If Don except upfront payment for this, just say when and
    Quote Originally Posted by xochi
    Guys, there will be [color=Orange]plenty of time for everyone to purchase a ti-pd. Relax! There is no need to be quivering in a corner with your laptop for the next several weeks.
    Lights were once incandescent. And halogen bulb were great

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_G

The difference is what I would call the incremental sum of one or the other. I think my point is that if you remove one of those increments from the whole and examine it independently, it would be irrelevant to the goodness of the end product. So, in a single cell light, a U-bin is irrelevant compared to a T-bin when considered on its own, but not when considered as one of the increments that go to making a great light.
    Unfortunately, I believe (anyone correct me if I'm wrong here) that in making flux the primary requirement for the emitter , sacrifices must be made in tint and vf. U's are still on the "freak" edge and the U's other binned characteristics reflect that to a degree, the really good , well rounded LEDs are still T's at this point. So in adding an increment of flux, remove one from tint and VF, score -1. While with the T's we get the high quality of all three characteristics , none are necessarily adding increments (but may) but none are detracting either, score 0. It doesn't have to score like that but numbers available of T's vs U's heavily favors better all around T's than U's.

Billson,
    I won't post a photo of the First Article because I am expecting the production heads to have 8 milled flutes and not the 6 flutes of the FA. The FA head looks identical to the head on the McLuxIII-T and the rear end is the same profile and appearance of a regular PD. Imagine A regular PD in Ti but with 8 flutes on the head and the shallow grooves of the T instead of the single deep radiused groove of the regular PD. The short Ti PD in the Maui thread is a one off I made for myself with a very short, optic-less head. It is a full flood or Ti PD candle.

Bob_G,
    I understand your position on flux and these lights will have a target high of around 500 mA but that is not to say that you can't change the converter for something that doesn't zap the battery for much more. There are going to be some X2 converters available from Wayne down the road that will give folks options beyond what I am building as the stock configuration. BTW, it has been my experience that the higher flux U bin LED's do have porportionally higher flux in the underdriven states as well. If a T bin PD forinstance is putting out 40 lumens then it is possible that a good U bin would put out 50 lumens at the same drive current.

Some of you guys are scaring me on this upcomming sales offering! I think what I will do down the road as the expected offering date gets closer and the vapor starts to materialize is start a thread that will be locked. In it I will give advance notice of when I expect to open the sales thread; a date and time. Perhaps I can structure it so neither bmstrong or his brother will win or lose their bet. At least this way folks won't have to keep checking in to see when the offering will be. I want this to be fair and I still don't think these are going to sell that fast!

There is another Ti program in the wings but it is real vapor. Hopefully before this Ti PD offering is opened I will have a better idea of the additional offering. If I do, I will give you guys a heads up as it could well give some of you cause to hold off on this Ti PD. I am sure I am a couple weeks away from having anything of consequence to post about here and the lights are certainly further away than that.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Oh great I can have a full nights sleep now......but what if there is a power cut or my PC breaks or the internet goes down...... oh God, better stay awake!!!

Quote Originally Posted by London Lad
    Oh great I can have a full nights sleep now......but what if there is a power cut or my PC breaks or the internet goes down...... oh God, better stay awake!!!
    How about an email mailing list? I think I can configure my email host to SMS my phone...

Don,

Great news. I believe this is the way to go, that way no one will have an excuse for not having one. And man, this new offering sounds intense, but knowing these fellas that lurk here, they will just get both!

Awesome news, Don! Now maybe I can get a full night's rest!

Excellent news Don, you've thought of a great way of handling this, with a heads up on the order, now everybody will have a shot and we can get some rest in the meantime . I've been holding off on ordering a PD-NAT in anticipation of the Ti model, but I may have to just get the NAT to hold me over. I know, just get both and figure it out later, but another Ti project in the works......what then, get it as well !! Thanks again Don, good lookin out!
    What are you people......on DOPE!?!

There is another Ti program in the wings but it is real vapor. Hopefully before this Ti PD offering is opened I will have a better idea of the additional offering. If I do, I will give you guys a heads up as it could well give some of you cause to hold off on this Ti PD. I am sure I am a couple weeks away from having anything of consequence to post about here and the lights are certainly further away than that.
    Hey Don, mentioning the next Ti project prior to opening up sales of the Ti-PD is easily one of the coolest gestures I've seen from a manufacturer on this or any other site. I really hate to gush but with that one simple act you have essentially said that you respect your customers as human beings who deserve to be treated as much more than bank accounts. The fact that this could actually hurt initial sales of the Ti-PD makes this an even more impressive display of decency in marketing. Thanks for boosting my faith in human nature a bit!

Party Re: McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

That is what makes this a special place to be.....

Yeah, sometimes I shake my head in disbelief! Don kicks himself in his rear side all too often with his kindness ... and now look, he will sit on all those T-PDs no-one will ever buy ...

Honestly though ... Don is someone to look up to. He is so huge.

bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

I will still buy a Ti-PD no matter what the next creation is going to be, after all the moto is "buy them both"

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by London Lad
    How will staying awake prevent all those things from happening? You should buy a 2nd PC and put it in another town using a different power provider and different ISP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling
    ... he will sit on all those T-PDs no-one will ever buy ...
    Yeah, right and oil should be returing to $15/barrel in the near future.

Even the fact that I can easily make hundreds of dollars of profit isn't enticing enough to make me sell my McLuxIII-T.
    Bill

Flashaholic*

Here's hoping that some of that vapor materializes into another run of the McLux III-T (non-PD).

Anytime soon now.....

Hi guys,
    Realistically, I don't think I will be offering these until the first part of May.
    Lights were once incandescent. And halogen bulb were great

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast