Wolf eyes 3.7V 100 Lumen bulb vs. Surefire P60 BEAMSHOTS!

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all!

I recently purchased one of the new Wolf-Eyes 3.7V 100 lumen lamp assemblies from Pacific Tactical Solutions, found here:

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-25-26-45-6085

If you order don't forget to ask for the spring to fit the SF! (I forgot but Mike is sending me one on monday, good Customer service :goodjob: )

PTS is a CPF dealer and has special pricing for CPF's check this thread for details

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107833

Anyway, I ordered the new 100 lumen bulb and got this in 3 days flat

wolfeyes28rh.jpg

Pic compared to a P60, notice that you will need a spring (Red arrow) to operate the light in a SF 6 series (P,G,Z,maybe M models)

I also ordered a protected 17670 li-ion battery from AW here

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=97268

I charged up the battery and proceeded to check out the bulb, with the 17670 protected battery from AW a "double tap" is needed in order to light it, I hear that with the Pilas that JonSidneyB sells a double tap may not be needed to light this LA.

https://www.jsburlys.com/shop/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=2b8f400d8ee61059a72407795ec77b98

JonSidneyB is a CPF Supporting dealer
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=56067

Anyway, I managed to light this lamp assembly and Wow the beam is smooth as a P60 and is much brighter and whiter than the P60!! I like it!!! It appears that the 100 advertised lumens are true! here is the picture, SF P60 with new batteries on the left and Wolf-Eyes 3.7V LA on the right.

wolfeyes0014wy.jpg

Distance from wall is about 15 feet, When I get the spring I will make further tests at different distances. But so far I think this LA rocks!!!:rock:

Sincerely:
AlexGT

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received the new 3.7V D26 lamp and the new 3.7V D36 (36mm reflector). I agree with your assessment! For general use, I prefer the broader (but yellower) beam of the original, 80-lumen D26. Mike Seward still has some of the old lamps in stock, in various voltages and reflector sizes (D26/D36).

The D36 probably outthrows any single-cell light in the world. After pulsing it in my eyes in a lit room, I can't see properly for at least a minute.

To make sure you have one of the new lamp assemblies, check the length of the hyphen in WOLF-EYES. In the old lamps, the hyphen was an "en dash" as long as a capital E. In the new lamps, the hyphen is only half as long as the E.

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder who makes these bulbs? I would love to have a 9volt 220 lumen bulb to try out on the TL-3 with 2 Li-Ions, I think it would be brighter.

AlexGT

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolf Eyes lamps are made by its parent company, Copia. The lamp is epoxied to the glass reflector. Even if you managed to remove the lamp, it would lack the bipins that must be mate with the TL-3 base.

At the center of its beam, the 9V D36 may outthrow the TL-3. The D36's reflector really brightens the hot spot while preserving the corona. So does G&P 's 39mm reflector.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be nice to know who the supplier of the bulbs is, would love to have a 200+ lumen lamp to upgrade the Tl-3, The D36 outthrows a TL-3? Wow! Can you post comparison beamshots, say 30-50 yards of the two?

AlexGT

Paul_in_Maryland said:
Wolf Eyes lamps are made by its parent company, Copia. The lamp is epoxied to the glass reflector. Even if you managed to remove the lamp, it would lack the bipins that must be mate with the TL-3 base.

At the center of its beam, the 9V D36 may outthrow the TL-3. The D36's reflector really brightens the hot spot while preserving the corona. So does G&P 's 39mm reflector.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlexGT said:
The D36 outthrows a TL-3? Wow! Can you post comparison beamshots, say 30-50 yards of the two? AlexGT
I no longer own a TL-3, but in March I will be posting beam shots comparing virtually every 9V lamp assembly mentioned in these forums except the old Wolf Eyes D26 and the Surefire P90.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul_in_Maryland said:
To make sure you have one of the new lamp assemblies, check the length of the hyphen in WOLF-EYES. In the old lamps, the hyphen was an "en dash" as long as a capital E. In the new lamps, the hyphen is only half as long as the E.
You can see the short hyphen in the photo of the new 3.7V D26 at the start of this thread. In January 2006, Flashlight Reviews reviewed the 6V D26. In that review's D26 photo, you can clearly see the long hyphen. Evidently, FLR reviewed the old lamp. The new D26 should deliver 50 percent more output.

pbs357

Enlightened
Hi guys,

This lamp looks awesome! A couple questions from this "new guy" though...
1. How does the throw of this setup compare to the p60? p61?
2. Does anyone know if the Pila batteries solve the double tap ignition problem?

Thanks in advance!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlexGT, thanks for the review. That's it, you've convinced me to get one.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
1-. For throw I would say that the W/E lamp is just a bit narrower, maybe 10-15% but is really nice
2-. Some say they work, I haven't tried them yet.

CM, I'm glad you liked it!

AlexGT

pbs357 said:
Hi guys,

This lamp looks awesome! A couple questions from this "new guy" though...
1. How does the throw of this setup compare to the p60? p61?
2. Does anyone know if the Pila batteries solve the double tap ignition problem?

Thanks in advance!

DIYLite

Newly Enlightened
Very nice comparison! I'm impressed!
Wonder how long will a 18650 last with this LA?
Anyone know where to get a 18650 host to house this monster?

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to jump in here, and give my experience with these bulbs. I would like to preface it by saying that I considered the stated lumens in the Ebay auction to be accurate. What I found out is that they are not.

I compared them to the P61, and the P91 based on the stated lumens.

According to the listing the 6.0v picture shows it to be 120 lumens, and the descriptions states it is 100 lumens. This should blow the P60 away, and even at 100 lumens would be close to the P61 rating of 105 lumens. The brightness is considerably less than the P61. I have not run these long enough to compare runtimes.

Equally the 9.0v as being rated at 220 lumens and running for 60 minutes. This should be a little brighter than the P91 with 3 times the run of a P91. I don't know about the runtime, but brightness is not close to the P91

If I missing something in the lumens ratings or if there are low pressure bulbs that I may have ended up with I would like to know that these numbers are actually achievable. I was happily hoping to have found a replacement for the higher priced Surefire bulbs.
I did make sure both lights had new batteries, and even switched bulbs between lights to eliminate this as a variable.
I am not going to mention the source of the lamps by name. However I will say his customer service is outstanding. I am still considering if I want to keep these or return them.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
DIYLite said:
Very nice comparison! I'm impressed!
Wonder how long will a 18650 last with this LA?
According to Wolf Eyes, 1 hour from a 2000 mAh cell (their 168A), so perhaps 66 minutes with an AW protected 18650.
Anyone know where to get a 18650 host to house this monster?
Wof Eyes 6A/6AX/6T/6TX, from Pacific Tactical Solutions. For more throw, get the 6M or 6MX (42mm head).

The X versions come with 6V lamps; you must purchase the 3.7V lamp and a cell and charger of your choice.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bravo25, for the record, on your D26 lamp, in the the hyphen long (WOLF–EYES) or short (WOLF-EYES)?

Long would mean it's the old D26 (80 lumens).

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bravo25, for the record, on your D26 lamp, in the the hyphen long (WOLF–EYES) or short (WOLF-EYES)?

Long would mean it's the old D26 (80 lumens).

I just looked, and it is the long one. Also the bulb is a lot longer than the 9.0v.