LOTC, Do you use them?

Do you use your LOTC on your EDC's?

• No, i dont use it at all

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • No, Not daily, just when storing.(More then a day)

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Yes, when i throw it in my pocket, till i use it that day.

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Yes, every time i use it, and shut it off, it gets LOTC'd.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Umm, my light does not have one, i am here for the beer.(Note, this is a BYOB Poll)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

IonFire

Enlightened
Well of course you use them, or you would lose your batteries.
ohgeez.gif

What i mean is,
I EDC, an E1L & E2L, they both come with a Z57 clickie, with the momentary and constant on by clicking, and of course can be locked out from powering up the light.

Now, i dont use them much anymore if at all. Why, i noticed on the few primaries i ran through them and in usage of the LOTC feature possible unneeded like, that the batteries when removed had a considereable ring cut into the bottom of them from the tail caps spring from using the LOTC, and that unneeded wear was being placed upon the threads. Now before you go off saying how long the threads will last, i know they last a long time, this is not the point by itself.

I have found that the Z57 is so stiff to completely engage, or deep stroking if you may, that it never comes on, and because of the stroke, never in my case comes on in my pocket so far. I can tell this by the light itself, even with my homemade diffuser, in a darkend room i can see by the light coming through my denim is quite noticeable. I carry my lights bezel down, buttons up.
grinser2.gif

So i know i am not wearing out my batts by the momentary, i dont use my LOTC at all unless storing them or not carrying them for atleast a couple days.

So,the question i ponder is,
Do you.. Lock Out Tail Cap or not?
(On your EDC lights that are equipped with them)

IF

greenLED

Flashaholic
IonFire said:
So,the question i ponder is,
Do you.. Lock Out Tail Cap or not?
(On your EDC lights that are equipped with them)

Only when I put them in my pack. One too many dead miniMags started the habit. When I clip a light to my pants, or carry inside a pocket, I don't lock out. In my mind, doing so would defeat the purpose of having immediate access to a light source (which is one reason I carry a light).

InFlux

Enlightened
For my L2 and Alephs I don't use the LOTC function. Instead I unscrew the head about 1/4 turn. Much quicker than the 1-2 turns to completely deactivate the tailswitch. :)

magic79

Enlightened
Once in a while. If I travel, I unscrew it when I put it in the bag, but not for every day carry.

By the way...I don't think "LOTC" is a very common term. At least, if I hadn't carefully read your post, I would not have known it meant "Lock Out Tail Cap". (not that I know everything by any means)

Thanks

Last edited:

SCblur

Enlightened
Same here, only when I travel, and need to leave some lights (that's lights, plural, as in all of them!) in my suitcase. Other than that, I never use the LOTC. It's one of those features that I pretty much forget about until I travel, then I'm really glad it's there.

Varmint1

Newly Enlightened
I almost always do. Exceptions would be my Fenixs. With the L4, E1L, and E2L, I find they are very easy to twist with 1 hand to lock out or turn on quickly.

My U2 and M3 aren't as easy but not bad.

I hate my A2 and L1 because they have to be turned out approximately 6,343,434 turns to lock them out.

Numbers

Enlightened
Never used.
My L4 carries nicely in it's holster and never turn itself on. It cant because of the tapered construction of the holster down at the clickie end.
I believe the same will be true of my E2L, which is on the way to me now.

IonFire

Enlightened
Yes, greenLED i agree it is nice to have a light ready to fire.

Lock out bezel, sure why not hehe.

Thanks magic, i never even considered that, thanks for the eye opener.

Seems most so far don't use it regularly, more when storing an travelling, kool.

Varmint1 i damn near choked when i read
approximately 6,343,434 turns to lock them out
Funny stuff.

My tail caps are exactly one half turn from the web address lining up with the hat bill clip, easy one hand operation, just for me, i find i can live with it on.

Almost felt guilty about not using that feature, but i have not had a issue at all with it self activating, i guess i lucky the way i carry.

Just like SCblur says, it is a nice feature for when you are travelling, and glad to have it.

IF

CLHC

Flashaholic
Truth be told—No, I don't use the Lock-Out feature. Then again, Your Methods May Vary accordingly.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lock out the lights when I put them in a bag. SureFire M3 with 225-lumen lamp activating in my breifcase = bad.

Scott

IonFire

Enlightened
Well, seems using the LOTC option is winning.

Most seem to either lock out, throw into a bag and reactivate during thier first use of the day/ or upon each re-use.

I didn't really think many would choose every time, that suprised me, other then like Beezaur type's:nana: whom may set his or her case on fire, or peeps with backpacks ect.

Interestingly, i think i skewered my own poll, I :poof: did not consider that there are LOTC's that have to be turned, to be either constant on or off, and are being reflected in the poll.

I had considered them to be twisties with a momentary like some Inova's lights, and not a true click and release on and off switch. Even though they are named as such.
Damn, the devil got into the details:devil:

IF