Has someone here ever used a Strike Bezel?

xdanx

Enlightened
I live in a bad area and I am out a lot at night. I was just curious, Has anyone
here ever used a Strike Bezel aka Combat Bezel like on the E2D? If so how effective was it? And did you get sued?

CLHC

Flashaholic
So far, I think I've only heard/read of one incident of its use here. If I remember correctly that is! Other than that, hardly if ever would someone let an aggressor close the proximics between them. Then again, Your Methods May Vary. . .

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I smacked myself in the hand with one once..it hurt like, well, a word that I can't say and maintain the family oriented values we enjoy here on CPF..

I wouldn't rely on it as a means of defense, though..

carrot

Flashaholic
I haven't found an instance of an E2D or other TID-equipped (tactical impact device) light being used for striking an attacker, but here's a story that's close, dug up from the archives for my Flashlight Story Collection: E2 saves the day -- unfortunately

The legal issues, as well as TIDs surrounding the story are addressed, as well as TIDs, by several CPFers. Hope this helps.

xdanx

Enlightened
I was looking at my E2D and I think it could be used as a very effective self defense tool.

1. Blinding the attacker this will give you a 2 - 4 second advantage.

2. The Bezel is very hard and sharp which could be used to jab the attacker.

3. Holding the E2D while punching provides wrist support and weight to your hand.

4. The E2D is compact and concealable.

5. The E2D looks way cool.

You have to own one to see.

carrot

Flashaholic
xdanx said:
I was looking at my E2D and I think it could be used as a very effective self defense tool.
That's the thing, it's only a tool. Have you practiced the motions of drawing it, and fighting with it? Have you considered what you would do if for some reason, you couldn't reach it or use it?

If I couldn't run away... my strategy is to use whatever one of a half-dozen lights and other possible impact weapons I have distributed on my person, and if necessary, the folder I have clipped to my pocket. Failing that, I am prepared for hand-to-hand or foot-to-hand, or whatever else. I am ninja ...well, I wish.

Edit: I think I need to clarify -- the "possible impact weapons" and flashlights are not at all for self-defense, but things I use daily.

Last edited:

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
Well, as an example I keep a M3CB on my duty belt for work. Would I use the CB for defense? Most likely I would not have to, but if it were a last resort, or it was the only "tool" in my hand at the time I would say it could be useful. I believe, b/c of experience, that light is a good form of defense. Why do you think when you get pulled over at night there are a number of bright lights raining down on your vehicle from the patrol car? This light not only can conceal your position, but give you a tactical advantage. I use my flashlights on a regular basis to my advantage when I am questioning individuals. A quick flash, or constant on of a nice bright beam gives me an advantage, and generally takes away a persons ideas of advancing on what they can't see well. Of course this is something that should be done with training, and not in a situation that would put you in harms way.

Babo

Newly Enlightened
What a coincidence.

I made a batch of fry bread yesterday.
Usually, each piece is about the size
of a dessert plate. Had some dough left over,
so I flattened it and used the bezel of my brand
new E2D as dough cutter.

Worked great. They are just the right size for scooping
hommade hummus.

I've already submitted the story to the Surefire website as
a real world example of how versatile their lights are.

Delvance

Enlightened
I personally wouldn't be using the E2D (or any torch really) for self defense. If you have had training with it, sure maybe. I guess it depends on your assailant, if he is combat trained, a small took that doesn't extend your reach won't be much helpful, and he'd be able to block most/all of your attacks. If he wasn't trained then it might give you a slight advantage if you use it appropriately. I live in Australia and people don't generally carry weapons around here so first step to defending is to learn some form of combat...you'll always have your fists, elbows etc with you.

I would think the person might press charges too ? In any case, stay safe and try to avoid first.