U2 High pitch squeal

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone else's U2 have a high pitch squeal, Mine is on level 2. I just noticed it tonight when I was using it in complete silence, It was noticeable at hip level in complete silence.

Red

Newly Enlightened
I have the high pitch squeal on the lowest 2 levels,
but mine is not that loud.
I cannot hear it from hip level.

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
Can't hear any thing coming from mine. However, my hearing
isn't the best after being exposed to many year of loud
explosions. ................................... :poof:

I would talk with Surefire about it.

NickelPlate

Enlightened
hogx1 said:
Does anyone else's U2 have a high pitch squeal, Mine is on level 2. I just noticed it tonight when I was using it in complete silence, It was noticeable at hip level in complete silence.

Weird,

My guess is it's the high frequency PWM for the lower levels. Evidently they're not running above the range of human hearing. Call them and let us know. Ask them what frequency their switching at at. :popcorn:

Regards,

Dave

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L2 and one of my A2s makes the squeal/whine noise. I noticed that the L2's noise is at least partly dependent upon battery freshness. I don't think it is a problem, apart from if it annoys you.

Scott

greenLED

Flashaholic
Mine does on level 3 only when batts are low and I can't access higher levels. I only hear it if I put the light right next to my ear. Inductor (or some other electronic component) humming, IIRC.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Put almost any regulated flashlight near am AM radio that's tuned to an empty spot on the low end of the dial (~530-700khz) and you'll hear the oscillator quite loudly.
Works for handheld calculators also.

As long as the light isn't guaranteed to be completely silent for tactical use, I doubt that it's a problem. If it was running at a slightly higher frequency, it might annoy the dogs in your area!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just checked my U2 quite carefully, and noted no sound on any of its six levels.
I tried holding both the tailcap & bezel against my ear to try and detect this sound.

atm

Enlightened
I get a quiet squeal with my Gladius on certain levels and Inova 24/7 using the lower white setting.

Andrew

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
I put in new batts to see how dead the old ones were and they were not that bad, so I replaced the old onse in the opposite order and the squeal is gone....

CLHC

Flashaholic
Don't have a SF.U2 but do have the SureFire L2, and it does have a slight pitch noise when activated. No problem here. Noise lets me know that it works. . .Enjoy!