buying books for cheap

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I want to get a few good books to start reading, but my library has been out of them for a while. More specifically I want to try a couple of dan brown books. The da vinci code and angels and demons.

Are there any good online retailers that sell these? I don't mind if they are used, so I am wondering if there is something similar to ebay for used books. I would prefer to not have to join anything to buy them, so no book clubs or anything like that.

Thanks.

drizzle

Enlightened
I tend to buy my used books locally. I would think there would be lots of copies of the DaVinci code to be found. Don't know about the other one.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a very good used book store in Salem, Oregon called The Reader's Guide to Recycled Literature. I don't know if they'd be willing to ship, but they might be worth a phone call; (503) 588-3166. I stop in ever six months or so and spend half a day browsing, leave with half a truck full of books; it's a great place.

Cheers. :buddies:

paulr

Flashaholic
Bookfinder searches abebooks automatically, and alibris lists on abebooks. For buying new, I like www.bn.com better than amazon.

greenLED

Flashaholic
addall.com - metasearch I consistently get access to low prices there. They also deal with other media formats now.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. I was able to get "angels and demons" for ~$8 shipped from barnes and noble.

I will probably either wait until "the da vinci code" comes out in paper back, or is available at my from my library.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've bought a crapload of books on ebay and yahoo auctions. Also picked up lots of motivational and management audio for my sales team. Might want to try Craigslist.com too.

There was a kewl auction meta-search engine that would check multiple auctions at a time for you. I think they got forced out of business or something but it was great while it lasted.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Check out the Goodwill stores in your area. We've got a few around here and they have lots of books and old records. Might be tough finding anything specific, but there's plenty to choose from.

Geoff

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been treated very well by eBay and half.com members. Here in Indiana, we have a chain called Half Price Books. They sell books at... half price... They also have a clearance section including dated materials such as 2004 and older World Fact Books and World Records type books. I shudder to think of how much money I've spent in those stores.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I go to antique malls and raid the books stalls. I even ended up making friendly with the owners of the stall. At the time I was working in a Random House distrabution center, and every month we got to pick a boxworth of pre-selected free books. I ended up taking my loot to the stall owners, and they'd give me 25% of the cover price in cash or credit. I got a 1st edition autographed copy of "Stealer of Souls" by Michael Moorcock($200) from them, using earned credit.
So yeah, definatly check your local antique/dirt malls.

Also, spent $400 my first month on Ebay, in autographed/used books.:help:

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Omega Man said:
I go to antique malls and raid the books stalls. I even ended up making friendly with the owners of the stall. At the time I was working in a Random House distrabution center, and every month we got to pick a boxworth of pre-selected free books. I ended up taking my loot to the stall owners, and they'd give me 25% of the cover price in cash or credit. I got a 1st edition autographed copy of Stormbringer by Michael Moorcock($200) from them, using earned credit.
So yeah, definatly check your local antique/dirt malls.

Also, spent $400 my first month on Ebay, in autographed/used books.:help:
I got a BUNCH of MM books on ebay, over time. I'm such a big fan and have read them all a few times over! Such a great hero. I also like the swords trilogy by MM where I first recognized his multi-verse (as oppose to universe) where he had a scene from the Elic sage in the Corum Swords Trilogy.

You are a lucky bum to have that one autographed.

I heard they tried to make the Elic Sage (or at least the first book( into a movie but it was dropped. Would have been something like that epic LOTR Trilogy but you really need the love of the people involved. Like LOTR had a big following and could pull that off.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
'Sup Moorcock fan!:buddies:
Very cool, glad to see another one out there. I was turned on to him after being turned on to the band Hawkwind, by the same kid, in highschool. I was lent a dubbed tape of the Chronicals of the Black Sword live album, and that was it for me, game over, Hawkwind for life! Most of that $400 was autographed Moorcock, here's my autographed books by him from ebay:
MM- hb City in The Autmn Stars; pb Firing The Cathedral; hb Breakfast in The Ruins; hb Behold The Man (very short, but SO good); hb Casablanca; hb Tales From The Texas Wood; hb The Adventures of Una Persson and Katherine Cornelius in the Twelvth Century (this is not a 1st, but pretty old). Also I have Carpe Jugulum signed by Pratchett in hb.
Also heard about the movie, but I don;t think it'll come about anytime soon. I have a DVD of The Final Programme from ebay, old and campy, but neat as a collector's item!
As a tribute to Moorcock and the theme of duality, I have a small chaos cross on my upper arm. Never got around to the arrow of Law on the other arm yet.

CroMag, if you are not a Hawkwind fan, you have to pick up Chronicals of The Black Sword Live. It may change ya life, it was a musical milestone for me.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Omega Man said:
'Sup Moorcock fan!:buddies:
Very cool, glad to see another one out there. I was turned on to him after being turned on to the band Hawkwind, by the same kid, in highschool. I was lent a dubbed tape of the Chronicals of the Black Sword live album, and that was it for me, game over, Hawkwind for life! Most of that $400 was autographed Moorcock, here's my autographed books by him from ebay:
MM- hb City in The Autmn Stars; pb Firing The Cathedral; hb Breakfast in The Ruins; hb Behold The Man (very short, but SO good); hb Casablanca; hb Tales From The Texas Wood; hb The Adventures of Una Persson and Katherine Cornelius in the Twelvth Century (this is not a 1st, but pretty old). Also I have Carpe Jugulum signed by Pratchett in hb.
Also heard about the movie, but I don;t think it'll come about anytime soon. I have a DVD of The Final Programme from ebay, old and campy, but neat as a collector's item!
As a tribute to Moorcock and the theme of duality, I have a small chaos cross on my upper arm. Never got around to the arrow of Law on the other arm yet.

CroMag, if you are not a Hawkwind fan, you have to pick up Chronicals of The Black Sword Live. It may change ya life, it was a musical milestone for me.
OMfG!!! I just found the live album on Amazon and ordered it for $35 with one-click!!!! :rock:

Zarozinia haunting melody has emblazoned itself to my brain! How Pumped. This is good news. Thanks a lot Omega!

I get to pull out the whole series again and have a soundtrack to read with! That cross of chaos looks pretty kewl on your arm. You need balance though LOL. You need the arrow of law.

I'm not familiar with all those titles you mentioned. The story that stands out in my mind, other than the Elric saga(Isn't the ending of the first book the absolute best off all things read!) Last page even) is that guy Corum in the swords trilogy, where he has the jeweled eye and that hand. ooh! chills!

MM has a nice writing style that just draws me in with his juxtaposition of heros and sacrifice yet so sardonic!

Thanks for the album ref. from the sound bites on Amazon I know I'll enjoy it. :)

ks_physicist

Newly Enlightened
Don't forget that you can usually place a hold on a book at your library. They will then call you when it comes in and your turn occurs.

Jim