What's better than the Fenix L1P & Nuwai Q3?

widget

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for an afforable light that can run on rechargeable batteries. Fenix L1P & Nuwai Q3 seem to be the favorites here. What's better than the Fenix L1P & Nuwai Q3? Are the Jetbeam & Iota better than the Fenix L1P & Nuwai Q3?

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't think the Jetbeam and Iota are available yet, so no one knows if they are better. The Fenix is about the best-received light on CPF in quite a long time and seems to be the value leader. That doesn't mean it's the best light, but rather, if you want something better, you have to spend more. Once the Jetbeam and Iota come out, those might be good alternatives.

I'm not that keen on the RCR123 lithium rechargeables that some people like for the Q3 and 123-powered lights. I like NiMH AA's, which means the Fenix, or maybe the HDS EDC series with 2AA holder if you want a bigger and much more expensive light (and I'm not even sure the 2AA holder is available yet).

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, Widget.

What Paul said.

The Fenix and the QIII get a lot of glory around here, and with good reason, so give those a try. Feed them a NiMH AA (Fenix) and rechargeable CR123 (QIII) and you'll be happy, I bet.

Another affordable rechargeable is the Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon (the 1LED flavor not the older 7LED flavor). Costs under $30 and will eat NiMH batteries. Its a little larger and a good general purpose or car light.

peace

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
widget said:
I'm looking for an afforable light that can run on rechargeable batteries. Fenix L1P & Nuwai Q3 seem to be the favorites here. What's better than the Fenix L1P & Nuwai Q3? Are the Jetbeam & Iota better than the Fenix L1P & Nuwai Q3?
They are both very good lights, esp. the L1P.

In that same class -- single-cell very compact lights -- two others come to mind that may be "better", but they're considerably more expensive. But first, the Fenix L1P:

- Fenix L1P: 97.7mm x 20mm (about $50) - Pros: price, beam quality, AA battery. Cons: anodizing, discharge curve with alkaline, size (relative to more expensive, smaller lights)

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1p.htm

- Peak Caribbean (pocket body, about $100): 73.2mm x 20mm - Pros: Quality, throw, size, run time, good regulation, anodizing. Cons: cost

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/peakled_caribbean.htm

- Fire~Fly3 (pocket body, about $130): 65.2mm x 20mm - Pros: Programmable with variable brightness levels, very small size. Cons: unknown

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1197747&postcount=122

Unfortunately the FF3 hasn't been shipped yet, so I can't give hands-on advice. However it's the smallest regulated CR123A light I've seen, plus it has variable output (like an HDS).

The Caribbean is very high quality, just a great combination of output, run time, throw, size and regulation.

FF3 and Caribbean are twisty switches, vs the L1P tail click switch. The FF3 will run on nonrechargeable cells but is intended mainly for (and works better with) rechargeable RCR123A cells. The Caribbean will run on either.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
There are a number of things that are better, but none are cheaper. I have a QIII and it is just a fantastic light for the money. I was just using it the other day and marveling at now nice the beam was while using a rechargeable 123. It isnt as nice as my Lion Cub or HDS U60 XRGT but they both cost a lot more. In fact the HDS is almost 10 times as expensive as the QIII and it isnt 10 times as nice. For the price, I dont think you can beat either the QIII from my experience or the Fenix from what I have read.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
In case you are looking for a cheaper alternative, the Nuwai ALX2611 is a good light at $20-$22 from Amondotech, Emilion, and others. It is only one Watt, but puts out a good solid wide spot. It gets a bright useable spot by not having much spill. It easily fits RCR123's. The other lights mentioned are most likely better, but cost more. I still use the "forward" clicky tail switch (with momentary) 2611 a lot even though I have an Amelite Neo T3 and L1P. Sitting on a shelf with a lot of other lights, I grab it for a quick use around the house.
The new wide spot version of the Inova X1 is not as bright and has a blue and yellow-ish shaded 5mm, but at $15 on sale at batteryjunction, it has a combo momentary button and twist constant on, HA3, and very nice construction. These are the two lights I have I'm considering buying more of.
I'm really starting to like the straightforward clicky button.

Last edited:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with the L1P. The Q3 is nice, but I like the Fenix with lithium AA's for runtime.
The Iota is not a bad light. It is by no means an expensive light, but I would hardly call it junk. It is quite bright and works well. It does suffer from lack of regulation, but so does the L1P. All in all, I like the Fenix.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello widget,

Just a thought, I don't know if you are into multiple LEDs or not but, the Peak McKinley "high power" is a pretty good pocket light. Same price as a Fenix L1P and quite a bit smaller. The spot of the Fenix L1P is brighter (more throw) but much smaller than the McKinley which is more of a "flood". I'd say the McKinley has a bit more overall output also.

I own both and seem to grab the McKinley more often as it seems better for most of my applications. Beyond 50 feet or so, I'd prefer the Fenix. There is an "ultra" version of the McKinley that would probably close the throw gap some. I use 3.0 volt RCR 123s in mine. I have also used 3.6 volt RCR 123s with no poblem, same output. Runtime is a bit short. I've never actually timed it but would guess about 40-50 minutes with RCRs as opposed to over 2 hours with primaries.

I don't own a Q III. The styling is a bit beyond my taste. If I was going to go that route (and I may! :)) I'd get a Lumiray. I have a couple of Nuwais and they seem to be pretty good lights. For modding the Q III seems to be a favorite as you can improve them a lot. The price point is also hard to beat.

Dave

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Widget,
The Jetbeam looks very good but it all depends on what you are looking for. Are you using rechargables because you have some and it saves money and hassle? Maybe because you will use the light all the time and primaries are not a good option.
I have been using a Fenix L1P and a MillerMods (Fenix) L1P for awhile and although they look the same, they are quite different. The MillerMods L1P punches 500mA to the Luxeon (1.7 watts) and is very bright although the runtime is a little over an hour. It has a two-stage 5-ohm modded switch for high/low output so I can kick it to low when the NiMH AA cell is almost gone. Nice to have that option to complete the task.
The Jet-I on the 2AA body reminds me of a higher output version of the MillerMods L1P. An hour of runtime on NiMH/CR123 batteries so you better not us it all the time or have spare batteries handy. All depends on your use and what your requirements are.
Now, for general use in the $50 range were you don't need screaming output... there are two lights that come to mind. The brightest would the the Fenix L1P with 2-2.5 hours runtime on a NiMH single cell. The second is the Peak Pacific (1AAA, 1AA, 2AAA or CR2 your choice) Although not as bright as the Fenix, the throw is about the same due to hand picked Luxeons and the same size reflector. Runtime on a 850mA AAA NiMH is 1 hour 45 minutes or over 5 hours on a 2500mAH NiMH AA cell. Since the regulator is "smart" the output jumps when different battery chemistries are used, it should be as bright or brighter as a 2AAA or CR2 as the Fenix L1P. The light will take 1.2V to 3.7V so lithium-ion AA cells will give it more punch, is rechargable and a very configurable light for $49.95.
If your plan is Li-ion 3.7V rechargable AA cells, the Pacific at $50 and another $5 to $10 for the optional AA body would be a great choice. Very high quality light with great regulation and will blast with the 3.7V AA, give decent light for 5 hours with a NiMH AA and run for well over 12 hours on an alkaline for emergency use.
The Pacific in HA-III aluminum will be released next week and I would see how all the battery packs play out to see if it fits your needs. I am buying two, one as lithium AAA powered for 5 hours of flat runtime on the keychain. The other one will eventually run 3.7V lithium-ion AA cells as a "weekend EDC" to replace the Fenix L1P.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you already have the Q3 I suggest you buy some 3.7v rechargables. They make a real difference in the overall power, and if runtime isn't an issue I think it will work great for you.

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
The Surefire U2 ................................................. :whistle:

Not to worry, it can be had with a small home equity loan.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like AA NiMH batts - go for the L1P - Incredible light!
If you like CR123's - try an INOVA T1 - Slightly larger than the Q3 but I think it is worth it in reliability and ease of carrying ( no sharp bits that dig in at awkward moments!!!).
Better runtime than the Q3 too.
Anybody know if it will accept rechargeables without complaining?

Last edited:

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nyctophiliac said:
If you like AA NiMH batts - go for the L1P - Incredible light!
If you like CR123's - try an INOVA T1 - Slightly larger than the Q3 but I think it is worth it in reliability and ease of carrying ( no sharp bits that dig in at awkward moments!!!).
Better runtime than the Q3 too.
Anybody know if it will accept rechargeables without complaining?

I asked about it a while back and the consensus was that the T1 probably would not survive rechargables.

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
If runtime and ease a getting battery is a issue,go for the fenix,I love the l2p.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I didn't even see the Jetbeam thread until this thread...that looks nice!
To stay on topic, if you're looking at the Q3, also take a look at the Nextorch Z1. If I didn't already have 2x Q3s (or had money to throw to get another 1x 123A light just to have), I'd pick up the Nextorch Z1.
Don't know where you're located, but if you're in cali, Amondotech's prices aren't as good as if you're elsewhere (i.e. the 2611X would cost me almost $30 due to tax and shipping).