T vs u bin

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
Is there a noticible differece in light between them,regarding raw orb?I wonder how much of a difference.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
not much to the eye.. if you are driving at the rated current... upgrading from a S bin to U bin will mean 25% improvement to eye (on light meter it might be almost 2 times bright)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without referring specifically to the ORB lights, the important thing to keep in mind is that the flux bins are ranges, not absolutes. The T-bin ranges from 67.2 to 87.4 lumens and the U-bin ranges from 87.4 to 113.6 lumens. You could, in theory, find a VERY bright T-bin and a very dim U-bin and they would be only .1 lumen difference.

I haven't kept up on ORB prices, but the emitters themselves, there is a considerable price difference. I've bought good T-bins for $8. The least I've ever paid for a new U-bin was $25, I think.

I see it like this... if you can get the T-bin and save a few bucks and still enjoy the light, then that's what I'd do... You'll never miss the difference. If you're the kind of person that it will eat you up knowing you didn't get the best, then I'd get the U-bin.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. Barely any practical difference. In all honesty, I'd even take an s bin with a good tint over a U with a bad tint.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
I know this doesn't pertain to the orb raw but I recently modded two Pentagonlight L2 3W lights, one with a TXOH emitter and one with a UX1L emitter. The TXOH emitter swap didn't really do much since it appears I already had a T-bin in my L2s, it did make for a much warmer tint though. In comparison to the T-bin the U-bin mod was well worth it, the U-bin has a much brighter hotspot and corona and improves throw by about 10 yards compared to the TXOH.

Here are some pictures: (Wholly not indicative of the overall brightness value of the lights and only meant as a comparison of the two lights pictured.)

U-bin on the left and T-bin on the right:
tvbin.jpg

T-bin on the left and U-bin on the right:
tlefuright.jpg

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is another example comparing the U and T bin emitters. The emitters are in Aleph 3 heads with Downboy 917mA converters. Other than the extra cost for the U-bin emitters the lights are the same.

The U-bin visually looks like it has 10% more light. The tints look the same between the two lights.

ux1jtw0k1xy.jpg

If you can find U-bin emitters and can get them with a good tint then it is free extra photons for you. Finding a good tint to a U-bin is the hard part. Or bypass the problem and go with a Lux V, W or equally unobtainium X bin light running a Downboy 917 converter.

wx1s5lr.jpg

cy

Flashaholic
having been very_fortunate to snag a number of intial release Ubins. have noticed that Ubins tend to have the widest latitude of any luxeon I've played with.

don't have any actual proof, other than handling a number of Ubins. seems intial release Ubin had higher flux, than latest Ubins I've been seeing.

I've only handled four Orb Ubin raws and all of seemed to be closer to Tbins. had nice tint though.

most early Ubin seemed to be from UX1J, output ranged from spectacular to Tbin range. tint ranged from greenish to bluish white, vf ranged from 3.75 to 3.15, all this veriation from a single bin UX1J.

all were pretty white when driven to spec or 700milliamps. color shift veried from pronounced to pure white on low beam.

please note this is what my eyes saw, your mileage may veri....

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Cheapo, soon the production ones will be around. Maybe one week.

I have to agree with cy. The early U-bins were more performance oriented than the later ones. The later U-bins are lacking in the extra punch of light. The tints were great on the early ones and seem to have soured on the later U-bins.

So…OUR mileage may vary with the U-bins.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
so it'll be out in a week, do you mind posting a thread somewhere so that we dont hijak this one.

-David

easilyled

Flashaholic
I bought some UYOK emitters.

One is DD on my LH and is about the same brightness and similar
tint to the T-bin it replaced. It runs cooler though which means that
it will probably outlast me :thinking:

The other was placed in a Mclux Chromie powered on high at 850mah that I sold. I would say that this was slightly brighter than my brightest T-bins powered at 917mah or DD, but not very noticeable.

In conclusion, in hindsight, I could hardly detect any discernable difference
and probably would have been just as happy with TXOJ or TWOJ