Fenix L1P vs. Costco 2AA Lux

drizzle

Enlightened
This is not exactly a battle of titans but I thought some of you might be interested in this comparison. I'm not comparing the obvious differences in size, weight or quality of construction; only light output.

I got my first chance to go for a walk in the dark with my new L1P and got to compare it to what I have been using, a Costco 2AA Lux. I walked through a city park that is not lit at night. It's far from completely dark there but it's dark enough to see what they can both do at some distance.

At short range it's no contest. The Costco out shines the L1P easily. It has overall more light output spread over a wider beam.

At what I would call medium range, 20 to 40 feet, the Costco still wins. It's closer now though with the Fenix being about as bright within the width of it's spot. The only difference being that the Costco's spot is much wider, almost flood really.

At long range, guesstimating about 200 feet, the Fenix comes out on top. Neither one is very bright as you might imagine, they really weren't designed for this kind of throw, but the Fenix is brighter. It is bright enough to light up a white surface (a trailer) well enough to make out details but not bright enough to do the same on a brick wall.

That's it. I hope you found this a pleasant diversion, if not actually useful. :)

gilles44

Newly Enlightened
Fenix throws up to 200 feet ?
As a proud owner of New Xnova 8 led (20-30 ft throw), I couldn't imagine it !

Gilles

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
gilles44 said:
Fenix throws up to 200 feet ?
As a proud owner of New Xnova 8 led (20-30 ft throw), I couldn't imagine it !

Gilles

Those little "Xnova" things arent even in the same class.

I lit up my yard quite well with my L1P, distance was probably 120 feet and it would have had more reach left.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1P will surprise you.

It's got a very tight hot spot, and while not in the same class as a SF 6P or something, it does quite well.

Mr_Light

Enlightened
As the owner of 6 COSTCO LUXs and a L1P I agree with your comparison. The L1P is more focused, longer throw, less overall light. The COSTCO also weighs about four times as much