How do you pronounce ''February''?

• FEB'ru'aree

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • FEB'you'aree

Votes: 32 62.7%

• Total voters

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to pronounce it with the "Ru" when I'm spelling it, otherwise it doesn't come out right when I write it..

drizzle

Enlightened
ACMarina said:
I have to pronounce it with the "Ru" when I'm spelling it, otherwise it doesn't come out right when I write it..
Hehe, yep, me too! But I chose "You" because unless I'm writing it that's how I pronounce it.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Huh. I'll have to listen to the NOAA talking weather computer today and see how it pronounces it!

**EDIT** The NOAA weather computer didn't state the month during the forecast, so I don't know how their machine pronounces it.

My Radio Shack talking alarm clock pronounces it "Two." :laughing:

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I avoid that word but if I have to say it I do so incorrectly on purpose. I just don't like the correct version.

I won't say tiss sue but might say tish shoe and more likely to say kleenex.

Vatalis is not gree zee kid stuff. It is gree see kid stuff. I'm a member of the coalition for articulation snobbery. However, I might get all colloquial and say "a little dab'll do ya." for effect.

It is offin not oftin. Oftin seems to be used by poor to average speakers wishing to be good to excellent speakers.

The fizzcal year starts July 1st for many businesses. If you are in accounting or finance and refer to a physical year you should be physically removed from the building.

Skill in speaking is more important to me than it should be, I suppose. It certainly does not seem to be a requirement for leading the free world.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say Feb YOU wary.

Funny thing is, so far, almost 40% of folks claim to include the first r when they say it but in my entire lifetime, I've only met one person that I've ever heard say it with the first R.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
drizzle said:
Yeah, and WARSH-ington.

Here in Indiana, if you say 'wash ington' you are in the minority.

My other pet peeve is measure... some folks say it like the rank of Major, but with a softer 'jh' sound as opposed to the way that would rhyme with treasure.

Edit - then down in the south, there is the relation of far, fire and fur... Something that's a considerable distance is a fur piece down the road... and if your dad fell asleep with a cigarette in his hand, it might set the house on far. As for expensive coats, they just call 'em 'coon skins'.

crackup.gif