Anybody seen these Mossberg LED lights?

prn

Newly Enlightened
I ran across a 3 light set of "Mossberg" flashlights recently at my local Meijer (grocery/etc) store. Here is a picture of the lights (3rd pic from the bottom of the page). They each have 5 LEDs in their heads. They look like they might take 1xAA, 2xAA and 3xAA, but what they take for batteries is entirely unmarked on their packaging so my guesses are just guesses. The packaging says they are distributed for Mossberg by "Meyerco" and gives URLs for both www.mossberg.com and www.meyercousa.com, but the Mossberg site doesn't have any mention of the lights and the Meyerco site doesn't exist at all.

At approximately $30, with 5 LEDs each, they may be vaguely interesting, but probably not a world-beater. Still, I'm mildly curious whether anybody knows anything about them.

Thanks,
Paul

linerlock

Newly Enlightened
http://www.meyercousa.com/detail.lasso?item=MOLED12

This one kind of looks like the 2xAA variant of the Ghost series that Lighthound sells.

In my experience, they're not bad lights. They typically have bluish floody output and respectable run times. Machining tends to be a bit on the rough side, but they're good functional utility lights that won't break the bank.

At $25.50, the Mossberg light is no bargain considering similar lights are available through Lighthound, ebay and various other sources for < $10.

http://www.lighthound.com/sales/multi-led_flashlights.htm

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
As linerlock says, you might consider the price! I just bought a couple of these

http://www.szwholesale.com/xnova-recommended-p-155.html?osCsid=c797ffaa945050d09da133d5fc502b26

They are the new kind of X-nova type lights with the batteries 'reversed' (negative in first). This one is far, far brighter than the older ones, and they are the first led-cluster lights I bought that actually might be said to have some throw. Excellent output on NiMh's. Runtime: don't know. Must be up to 10 hours to 50%. Very sleek and pocketable too. A clip would make them even more usable.

For me, they fill a niche in brightness vs. runtime as an EDC. My only concern is water resistance: I used some transparent silicone (not the lubing kind, but the kind you use in your bathroom) to seal off every single led, leaving the front of the leds clear.

And if I lose or break one, I'll just pick the next one out of the drawer; for this price I naturally bought 6 of them :)

Kees

Last edited:

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3AA and 2AA lights are happy with regular or NIMH cells. The 1 AA likes higher output cells better, like a Lithium or an Oxyride. Mossberg's other offering is a 2AA sink faucet head (too small to be a showerhead) style that is decently bright and only $16. Some Meijer stores carry them as well.