Will they ever make a UK 2AA LED ???

jtice

Flashaholic
I hadnt even realized there was a 2AA incan UK light before.
But came across this today...
http://www.cottonwoodwholesale.com/pc-6529-269-underwater-kinetics-2aa-as1-switched-black.aspx

I like the 4AA LEDs alot, not very bright, but great runtime, and regulation.
I use the 4AA as a caving backup light,
but due to it not being very bright for its size, I dont use it much as a primary light.
But if they were to make a 2AA version, that would make a much better brightness to size ratio.

Anyone hear of any plans?
I assume the 4AA led head will not work on the 2AA body,
do to the lower voltage.

~John

paulr

Flashaholic
The 4aa head works on the 2L body, if that helps. Someone measured the runtime of the 4aa eLED head on the 2L body as about 8 hours.

jtice

Flashaholic
Paulr,

thanks for the info!
Do you know if the 4AA head was as bright on the 2AA?
I am guessing no, since the runtime is that long.

~John

Empath

Flashaholic
The last I knew, BrightGuy was selling the 4AA LED heads, alone, as an accessory to the 2L.

paulr

Flashaholic
The 2L uses two CR123A's and is about the size of a Surefire E2e, a little thicker but a tad shorter. It weighs less because it's plastic. Nice little light.

jtice

Flashaholic
oops, i see now, you are talking about a different body.

I like to stick with AA cells for my outdoor gear, makes it interchangable with my other items.

Thanks Empath,
but I would be more interested in buying just the 2AA body :D

~John

jtice

Flashaholic
Thanks alot Nikon !

I expected that :(
Well, guess I will just have to hope they come out with a 2AA LED :(

~John

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been looking at the 2 AA body for some time wondering if you could use 2 14500 Li-Ion AA's with the LED head, anybody know?

Later
Kelly

paulr

Flashaholic
Using 2x14500 could be a little dangerous because it would be 8.4v when fully charged. You could ask UK if that's safe. But if you want to run the eLED head on li ion rechargeables in a compact body, you might try a single 17650 in a 2L body. I guess you could also try four 1/2AA NiMH cells in the 2AA body.

I'd like if they made a 2AA version of this light but it would have to be a new circuit with a boost converter. The current version is a buck converter which is one thing that makes its flat regulation so simple to accomplish.

jtice

Flashaholic
hmmm, i didnt even think about 14500s :eek:oo:
That is a good option, if it can handle the higher voltage.

im tempted to try a couple in my 4AA UK, with a couple spacers,
but i would hate to fry it :(

~John

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
I talked with UK tech (nice people) and they didn't know at this time if the LED module would handle the voltage of 2x14500 cells but would let me know if they could find out.

Later
Kelly

paulr

Flashaholic
jtice, using 14500's in your situation (i.e. because you're trying to standardize on AA's for caving) is just about the craziest thing I can think of. Do you -really- want to be fumbling around in a pitch dark cave with two kinds of AA-sized batteries of radically different voltages, so you can blow something up by putting in the wrong cells? (Put those 14500's in your AA-using $1000 digicam and you can kiss it goodbye). The idea of standardizing on AA's is interoperability of cells between different pieces of equipment. If you've got multiple kinds of cells that don't interoperate, having them the same physical size is a DIS-advantage.

jtice

Flashaholic
paulr,

Using the 14500s wasnt really for the caving aspect,
I would rather see a real 2AA led version,
but around the house, ATV, glove box, etc, I thought the 14500 solution would be "ok".

~John

paulr

Flashaholic
Hmm, maybe. But around the house/glovebox/ATV where weight isn't a big issue, you may as well just use four AA's. Me, I'm leery of 14500's even around the house because of the possibility of damaging something that expects AA's.

jtice

Flashaholic
thats true Paul,

heh, I see you just sold a UK 4AA led, that I just missed :p

Hearing that they are discontinuing them, I will be picking up one or two more soon.

~John

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess paulr's comment about the buck vs. boost circuit makes sense as to why UK hasn't released a light in the 2AA form factor. I like the look/size of the 2AA version and it is the only light I can think of with a side by side configuration (besides from eternalights which use 3 cells). As it seems that boost circuits are getting better and cheaper these days, maybe UK will eventually update this light with an underdriven luxeon as well? I hope so :).

paulr

Flashaholic
They're being discontinued? Oh well. Heh, good thing I sold that one before I found out, or else I would have held onto it and had yet another flashlight I don't need ;).