F1P Eating O Rings

Bozzlite

Enlightened
How many of you have had a problem with the Fenix F1P tearing up the O rings when you remove the tail cap? This was mentioned on Flashlightreviews.com by a third party who had the problem the first time he removed the tailcap to replace the battery.

He claimed it was because of lack of lubrication at the factory.

Since I just ordered one, I am wondering if this is a common problem, and the fact that they include spare O rings with this lite makes me wonder even more. Things that make you say Hmmm.

carrot

Flashaholic
Never heard of an F1P. You probably mean Fenix L1P. When I got my Fenix I was quite pleasantly surprised to find some lube on the o-rings. Or maybe it didn't, but it twisted on and off very smoothly anyhow.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
powernoodle said:
Bozz -

No probs here with my L1P. Its been my daily user since was first released, with a NiMH change about 2x a week. :wave:
No problems with mine either. I regularly change out the NiMH AA cell for conditioning and recharging and the o-ring still looks like new.

Side note: I love this Titanium TG-2800 charger as much as the flashlight.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
it might've been that that one slipped through without lubrication. i have/have had a L1P, L2P, and L1, and all 3 came very well lubricated at both ends. probably if you are still worried, my advice would be to keep some lube handy, and to make sure it's well lubed up once you receive the light, and if not, then lube it =)

thezman

Enlightened
No problems with mine.

Applying a little lube periodically should be routine maintenance.

Macaw

Enlightened
If you decide to lubricate it do not use a petroleum based lubricant, they will damage your O-rings. Silicone grease is commonly used on these lights. Available at plumbing departments. You can use Nyogel also.

olephart

Newly Enlightened
It was probably an out of spec groove rather than lack of lube.

When the groove is the correct depth, the cap will go on without damage with or without lube. Lube makes it a lot better.

When they are cut on the first try, the groove is too shallow and the cap is hitting more toward the center of the o ring. This will cut it every time. It was probably cut during the initial installation.

Lube may allow a new one to slip by, but it's not going to last too long unless the basic problem is fixed. I would consider it to be a rare manufacturing defect rather than a recurring issue.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a few do that. Seems sometimes the lubrication from the factory
didn't seep in enough. After some use, the lubrication should spread out a bit.

If any of you had an oring die and are insecure with have only those two
spares, email me and I'll drop a set in the mail for you free of charge :)

That goes with switch boots too. :D

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
When I fed my new L1P with its first (lithum Energizer) cell, I noticed the o-ring binding. A visual check revealed a slight white color where the o-ring was rubbing against the opposite surface. Definitely too dry. I'll be picking up some silicone grease on my next trip to town.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever type of light that gives you this problem should be checked not only for need of a lube, but also for a mis-seated o-ring and for dirt in the area. Just lubing will not cure the problem if either or both of the other troubles are present.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I added some silicone lube to mine as it was a little dry for me and now it's much smoother.

Longbow

Enlightened
No problems with mine, o-rings or otherwise. I think if you look-up the word "perfection" in a dictionary there will be a picture of a Fenix. :)

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I just received my L1P today. It appears that the O-ring was put on dry and then the threads were lubed. There was lube in the tail cap and on the threads but the not enough had made its way onto the O-ring and a fragment of rubber came off when I opened it for the first time. I didn't have any extra lube with me so I used a Q-tip to transfer a little to the ring directly. The tail cap went on much more smoothly than it came off.
It is an awesome light! Only slightly dimmer than my L2P.

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
Checked my L1P, very little grease on threads and dry on o-ring. Took care of it with some Nyogel, very smooth now and don't expect trouble. Same situation with L0P on keychain, probably more of an issue there since its a twisty. Had both for about a month and still on first set of batts, pretty sure thats how it cam from factory. Easily remedied so not concerned. :)