How long do the bulbs last?

Allnew2me

Enlightened
I just ordered my first light, a Surefire E2E and can't wait to get it. I did have a question regarding the bulbs, I didn't order a spare one. Assuming that I don't bounce this light off the concrete too many times, how long will a bulb last? I'm sure the on-off cycles would affect the life bit just on average, let's say going through 5 sets of disposable batteries, 10, 20, 30? What are you guys seeing as far as replacement time? Thanks

carrot

Flashaholic
Surefire lamp assemblies are rated at 25+ hours. Size15's has reported using an A2 lamp assembly (MA02) for 35+ hours, and only replaced it because he didn't want it to go out at a bad time.

Allnew2me

Enlightened
thanks for that info, I suppose a spare would be a good thing to have. I'll order one with all the other things I didn't get with the light.

cosine

Newly Enlightened
I guess spares are good to have on hand just in case. Welcome to CPF!

carrot

Flashaholic
For peace of mind, maybe. I don't think it's particularly unwise to not have a spare, considering the average lifespan of a Surefire lamp assembly, but it's better to have a little extra bulk (the extra lamp) than be unprepared, I guess. You might want to pick up a Surefire SC3 spares carrier to go along with it. I have the SC1 and SC2; very nice quality.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
The 'E' series bulbs are known to be some of the best and most long lived of the incandescent bulbs made by Surefire. Unless you use your 'E' series in a critical environment (and somehow I cant see the 'E's fitting that role?) I would recommend using it until you either see a noticeable reduction in output or it begins to turn black. With luck and intermittant use you could get many more hours than the suggested 25 minimum. As Surfire bulbs are quite expensive it seems sensible to get as much use out of them as possible?

Doug

OBTW the A2 bulbs are protected from thermal shock by soft start electronics. The A2 bulbs will potentially last longer than 'E' series bulbs due to this adaptation.

Screehopper

Enlightened
I just had my first E2e-HA bulb go out last Friday. So I had a good 3.0-3.5 years of use out of it.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
I have NEVER had a Surefire lamp fail under normal usage. I blew a P60 when I forgetfully assembled it into a 9 volt body, and a lamp on my 8NX blew a couple of days after I dropped it from waist height onto concrete. My original (10 years +) P90 lamps from my 9Ps are still going strong, but for sheer usage hours, the lamps in my 8NX and 8AX get used for maybe 2 hours every working day, sometimes longer.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
back in the old days, when I used my 9N and not my Led-mods, the secondary bulb of the 9N double lamp assy blew this regular, that I am used to solder a small resistor into the lead, when installing a new assembly.
The main buld only blew once, the actual one has for sure 100+ hours, and is still alive (I use this light to check NiMhs and NiCads, therefore running very often)

I would say the 25 hours runtime is a very "safe" bet, that should be achieved even when most things go wrong. Still any hotwire bulb could blow on the 1st use.

SCblur

Enlightened
I've had my E2e through about eight battery changes. Dropped it from head height onto concrete while it was on. A little ding in the tailcap's HAIII, but didn't hurt a thing otherwise. I think you will love your E2e. I have an A2, a G2 and the E2e, and the E is my favorite for everyday use, simply because of it's brightness/size ratio. Enjoy!

Size15's

Flashaholic
25+ hours is a conservative 'rating' in my experience. I've had two lamps die of old age. An N2 which had about 30 hours of hard abusive use, and an N62 which is a case by itself I think.

All other lamps I have are either not yet 25 hours use or well past 25 hours and still going strong.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF does occasionally have the problem of bulbs that instaflash, but if you have one that lasts through its first set of batteries, it will probably give you several good years of service, YMMV. I have an A2 lamp going on 40+ hours, I'll probably run it into the ground to see just how long it lasts. No problems with any other SF lamps either, though not all of them get as much use: P90, MN10, MN11, N2, MN15, MN16, MN60, and N62. :)

Screehopper

Enlightened
I originally posted "I just had my first E2e-HA bulb go out last Friday. So I had a good 3.0-3.5 years of use out of it."

I think I need to amend this to it: "That the bulb survived hard use through dozens of drops. The flashlight has gone caving, to the top of Mt Whitney and Mt Shasta during the winter, and on other adventures."

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had one die of old age. I have had a few defective ones die within the first hour, surefire replaced with two free ones.

Allnew2me

Enlightened
Well I got my first real flashlight today, my Surefire E2E. Wow! what a light it is.
I won't order a spare bulb, it seems they last a long time so I'll put my spare change into my next light instead. Thanks to all for the info, I do appreciate it.