Are there any LED torches with turbo-heads?

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi:

I'm looking to buy my first Surefire torch: The L6, instead of the M4.

I'm convinced to buy an LED over an incandescent because of price and practicality.

BUT .... the M4 will blow the L6 away in terms of brightness and throw!

SO .... which brings me to my original question: Are there any genuine Luxeon LED torches, powered by at least 2xCR123s with a 3inch turbo head???

If not, what is the next best thing to that? :shrug:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know of any turbos, but I can name two or three miniturbos:
  • At the premium end, there's an Aleph 3 head with a 5W Luxeon. In fact, Aleph now has an even wider head (45mm?) that should throw even further. I think I've read that the 3W Luxeon may throw even farther in these heads.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Magmods have great throw... A Magmod with a good U-bin or T-bin in a 2C host regulated with an nFlex or downboy at 750ma to a full 1A would be my suggest as about the best throwing LED light around.

The Aleph III probably throws a bit further than the HD45 (though the HD45 is currently the light I'm drooling over) due to the design and the finish of the reflector. An Aleph III with a U-bin at 750 - 1000ma is probably your best throwing 123-sized light.

Many lights with a 27mm reflector will impress many folks as well... The Aleph I system... Even the 4W VB16 with an IMS27mm stuck in there in place of the stock reflector) is impressive.

If you don't value the spillbeam, the Striker VG from LEDLogic has great throw. It's kind of a chunky light though...

carrot

Flashaholic
HDS is going to be making a turbohead light, similar to the EDC but standard with a 2x123 body tube.

CLHC

Flashaholic
What PiM said regarding the Aleph from The Sandwich Shoppe.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
HDS is going to be making a turbohead light, similar to the EDC but standard with a 2x123 body tube.

is it one of the two on pocketlights.com???

-David

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a weblink where I can see detailed specs for the Aleph 3 5W Luxeon???

Thanks.

Paul_in_Maryland said:
  • At the premium end, there's an Aleph 3 head with a 5W Luxeon. In fact, Aleph now has an even wider head (45mm?) that should throw even further. I think I've read that the 3W Luxeon may throw even farther in these heads.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go down the forum list to McGizmos..
They're custom heads (or you can build one with parts from the Sandwich Shoppe)
The Mags with a LuxIII throw REALLY far (mine was only drawing 700mA from cheap $1 store batteries)

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
A single AA light with a 38mm, 1.5-inch, turbo head, is the best I can throw together.

It has two-brightness levels. It is obvious that the MaxLite AA body can share heads and tail caps with Surefire E-series and Aleph lights. It is not a pocket carry light but with a Downboy 917 converter and a UX1J emitter it has a throw beam that goes a long way. It does need the 14500 Li-Ion battery or 2xCR2 batteries to run the Aleph 3 head. Some CR2 batteries are tight fitting but the rechargeable CR2 batteries have no problem.

The standard head easily runs an alkaline, lithium, Ni-Cad and NiMH battery. With a 2500mAh NiMH battery I get almost two and one half hours. On low the light runs almost 21 hours. We backed off the power to the converter and put a brighter S-bin Lux I emitter in the light.

The overbuilt light has amazed many people. It is as mean as it looks.

Originally the idea was to make the brightest custom AA light in the world. And it is. But while the light was being designed we added Surefire/Aleph compatibility. The optional parts were built before the light was designed.

The transformation in the picture was something I could not resist. It looks like an AA light but runs one AA size Li-Ion battery. This variation of the MaxLite is very bright.

The body is made of a solid billet of aircraft grade T-6061 aluminum. It is built like a tank. No kidding. The light is so modular that it can be assembled in 10 minutes. The anti-roll collar was added to the tail so that any head could be used and the light would stay in place when it was set down.

Next week these lights with the natural color hard anodize, laser engraving and the standard head should be available.

And it can have a turbo head. :)

maxlitealeph3head4yu.jpg

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've finally seen the Aleph 3 head on McGizmo Product FAQs and General Information , its mighty impressive. :wow:

Being a newbie to the world of flashlight leggo, how do I build myself one of these awesome torches on the lowest budget?:broke:

If I buy the Alpeh 3, does it come with the 5W Luxeon? What body(3x123) should I use? Or should I buy one of those cheaper chinese made torches and just use the body with the Aleph 3???

Thanks......

Paul_in_Maryland said:

igabo

Enlightened
Paul_in_Maryland said:

Wow.. That's next in my collection; especially for $68. Hope it can run off of li-ions. Did a search on ebay and couldn't find any though. :mecry: