If you could go back in time, would you bring your youthful self a modern flashlight?

tron3

Banned
Forgetting for a moment how this could impact the "time line".

Would you give your younger self a modern flashlight?
Or would you give yourself an older modded flashlight .

If so, how many?

If so, which ones?

If not, why?

Would you caution yourself about not letting the wrong people see it, impacting time line, etc?

I've often pondered this. Should I just bring myself a Xenon bulb for that old Streamlight? Or some other old flashlight modded so it doesn't attract attention?

I am most likely to give myself the the 4 C-cell Nuwai. I know the batteries are available, and at that size, most people might not question the output, though the white light could shock them.

In the least I'd also give my Fenix L0P. (Did they have AAA 20 years ago?) And probably a supply of Lithium batteries.

Don't want to give too many. Just something discreet to EDC and something bright for emergencies. Not sure I would give any 5w LED with CR123. I can just see myself showing my friends and blinding them, etc.

Should be a fun thread. :)

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: If you could go back in time, would you bring your youthful self a modern flashlight?

Heck no, then younger me would become such a dominating force in the flashlight world that SF wouldn't exist. Paul Kim would be out of work. Everybody would fight to own the AC-LITE ;)

speederino

Enlightened
Since going back in time seems to involve either a phone booth or a DeLorean, neither of which are prevalent in my area, I'm not going to think too hard on this one.

I think I'd go with a nice black steath sammie'd minimag, or an L1P.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
I'd go hotwire - no explaining to authorities what UFO your 5 watt LS came from.

2D mag with UCL and 8AA-D adapter and KPR118 or similar.

IonFire

Enlightened
Re: If you could go back in time, would you bring your youthful self a modern flashlight?

Just like my signature, thats a mighty big....

IF

daBear

Enlightened

Heck no. I would bring myself some stock tips. Xerox, Microsoft, WAL-Mart, anyone of which if bought at the correct time would yield enough money to buy SureFire.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would take a minimag and machine out most of the aluminum so a Pacific 2AAA light would fit inside. Inside the 200 lithium AAA cells there might be a listing of letters... MSFT WLMT YHOO CSCO...

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nooooooo.

Things are just fine the way they are!

No temporal paradoxes on this forum, please.

Earthquakes, tidal waves, dogs laying down with cats, a different shaped gearstick on the mini metro, slugs drying up, Matrix 2 and 3 not sucking bigtime...apologies to messrs Kartz and Rhymer and also to Mr. Blinovitch and his flying limitations circus...:poof:

cslinger

Enlightened

If I could go back time I would only need to bring myself a flashlight bright enough to read the list of lottery numbers and underdog sports winners that I had with me.

lotsalumens

Enlightened

I would not have given myself anything. The lights I had at the time were fine, and I had a lot of fun with them. If a future-self had given me a Surefire I would have gotten used to it and would have had nothing better to look forward to for many decades. In a world of Eveready lights I would not have been able to enjoy any other light! Also just think of the torment of having a light like that as a kid, and then having no way to replace the batteries or bulb! (when did 123's and really tiny halogen bulbs come into existence?? Relatively recently I'd think.)

cfb

Last edited:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't want to do any of that future stuff. If black projects got wind of it, that would be it for you. They'd haul you into a room with the smoking-man from the x-files...."don't worry you can trust me"

That's when its time to show the new offering from wicked laser's, tell him you honor all major credit cards.........:laughing:

Last edited:

hquan

Enlightened
i wouldn't bring my younger self any lights for the same reasons already mentioned above. However, it would be kinda interesting to go back even further - let's say 50 b.c. and bring back some modern lights - attached to some modern weaponry. You could then carve out a nice little kingdom for yourself... ;)

Cliffnopus

Enlightened

If I could go back in time, I'd have a Chrome McLux PD and a permanent smile on my face.

Cliff

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

I'd like to see their faces when examining an eternaLight Elite Max, or a U2, or yes McLux PD!!!

dim

Enlightened

If I could go back in time, I'd bring my youthful self a Time Machine.

Of course, I couldn't have just one Time Machine. I'd have to get at least one for throw, one for flood, one for the key chain, one for the left pocket, one for the right pocket, and no Time Machine collection would be complete without a Hot-Wire Time Machine!

dim

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Nyctophiliac said:
a different shaped gearstick on the mini metro

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! the horror!! the horror!!

Actually, I don't give a poop about the gearstick... as long as the gearboxes and engines on the pre 1990 models are the same (cheap replacement parts for my Mini)

But seriously, I wouldn't bring myself any lights, I wouldn't give myself tips on what stock to buy or what games to bet on... I'd just go tell myself that I should be a bit more careful with my first flashlight. Not that it was a good light or anything, but I still remember getting it from my dad when we went on a camping trip. It was a black aluminium body, with a red plastic bezel and a big red sliding switch. It was the House brand of the Hema (for the dutch readers) and was powered by 2 D-cells. I even remember my dad putting in a krypton bulb when the original burned out... God I loved that light... I wish I still had it... :mecry:

rikvee

Enlightened

I'd go back to 1974, the year I started working as a live sound guy.
There's a lot I'd like to say to myself :rant: :tsk: , but if all I can do is pass on a flashlight they'd be two TNC KeyLux 1AA's 200mA, bezel twistie.
From the pile of money I would subsequently save on incandescent globes and batteries I would then wait till Surefire reased the 12ZM (with the SRTH 2.5" reflector), with the only other purchase a nice 5W Led module by ARCmania, just around now.

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whatever light you brought back, it would need to be a recharge type, as the cells we had access to even 20 years ago don't compare to what is available now.

Screehopper

Enlightened
If I could go back in time, I'd send my E2e-HA and my 9P w/turbo head to the days when was I a kid in summer camp. Flashlight wars would be won by me since I'd be able to anticipate when someone has their 3D or 4D M*glite pointed in my direction and I'd get them with my tactical flashlight before they could light me up. :)

Back in the days, as kids, M*glights were considered the best flashlights.