How do you folks ship internationally from the US?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious. I have sold several items on CPF but always limited the sales to the CONUS or 50 states. Might like to expand my horizons.

When you ship int'l, whats it called and how much cost does it generally add?

thx
me

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
lots of options - I think the least expensive is global priority at the usps, then global express. Most of the carriers (UPS, FEDEX, DHL) have like a two-day guarantee or something, so they're like $30 for a letter sized envelope..

MSI

Enlightened
It is cheapest to use USPS and they have a online calulator which tells you what method of shipment is cheapest for your specific package, and that will vary depending on weight/size. Economy is slow so best to stay clear of that, and Airmail is usually not much more expensive and can actually be cheaper sometimes. Global Priority is also sometimes a very good option, especially for small but heavy items that fit in a GPM flat rate envelope.
Btw, I would limit my collection of countries to ship to (i.e. Western and Northern Europe, Canada, New Zealand and Australia).

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've shipped pocket knives to Sweden and Norway (guess those scandanavians like their higher end knives!) and I think it was about $5 each time. Shipped two lights to Australia and one was about $5 and one was about $8. Other than that, I think I've just shipped to the US and Canada.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most things I recieve come Global priority, to Canada.
The cost doesn't vary much when using an envelope and stamps, I don't think the cost is much different to ship within the US as it is to Canada.
Tracking can be a bit slow, I have seen items that say the parcel got to US customs and sits there, meanwhile, the package is on the recievers kitchen table.
I have never lost an incoming or outgoing item in my transactions to the US, I have shipped and recieved using every available technique.
However, when sending out of the US the parcel is subject to more fees from customs, most vendors (those who sell) will project a smaller value to the package, this helps deter thieves as well as the greedy government. Lowering the declared value does not affect any possible insurance claimes due to loss. :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
I send stuff abroad all the time. Global Priority Mail (flat-rate envelopes) are mostly my choice, but once in a while I go AirMail (due to size or shape and I can't fit stuff in a GPM envelope). Never a problem (knock on wood).

Protaeus

Enlightened
I almost always recieve my flashlights in a Global priority pre paid box...

Although, I think Lighthound sent me my MA02 Lamp and lubricant in a global priority envelope...

Interesting way to post a lamp assembly wrapped in foam :)

not complaining, since it arrived in one piece with a bonus keychain torch! yay lighthound!

still, wouldnt it be more prudent to put lamp assemblies in more solid protections?

:):):)

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
powernoodle said:
Just curious. I have sold several items on CPF but always limited the sales to the CONUS or 50 states. Might like to expand my horizons.

When you ship int'l, whats it called and how much cost does it generally add?

thx
me

c'mon powernoodle, there are lots of us flashaholics outside of the States! :laughing:

Global Priority Mail Large (9-1/2 x 12-1/2 inches) and Small ( 6 x 10 inches) are flat-rate (whatever you can stuff into the envelope) at US$9.50 and US$5.25 respectively.

There are other options for larger sized items, and should be reasonably priced, which you can of course pass on to the buyer. Sometimes we international buyers don't mind paying for the shipping to get the item.

Of course, sometimes the item is just not feasible to be sold out of the country (unless the buyer is willing to pay anything for shipping).

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
powernoodle - thanks for doing this!

Increasingly, CPF is becoming an internationalized community and it's good to see more people doing business outside their borders.

For lights, Global Priority is really the best option. Global Express if tracking is needed. So far, I've received many dozens of Global Priority packages and not a single one has been lost - however a couple of Airmail and Economy packages disappeared.. some lucky bugger is probably enjoying the loot somewhere, I dunno.

They do tend to handle the Priority/Express packages a little better.

paulr

Flashaholic
I've always just sent regular airmail. For a small flashlight that's just a couple bucks typically. I sent a heavy-ish pair of shoes once (probably 2 kg or so) and it was around $30 if I remember right.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just use the USPS and it's global priority. Plus insurance of course. I haven't mailed too much stuff out though. Just a couple of inexpensive TurboHeads (I thought they were inexpensive, never bothered to look up the MSRP, now I know why people jumped at them so quickly. But better to pass on the savings, than to try and make a huge profit.)