Can I use 800m Rech Batts in Amilite Neo T3

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
....I have an Amilite and so far have not found a protected rechargeable 123 cell that will fit in it. The unprotected cells are not quite as fat but still may not fit in this light. The battery case on the Amilite is even a tight fit for some of the 123 primary cells. I use the protected 3.0 volt rechargeables from e-electronics.net in my Surefire G2 with the P60 lamp. Some people report having to double click to get the bulb warmed up a little to make this combination work. I suspect that the P61 draws so much current that it will not work with protected cells. Be very careful if you decide to go with unprotected rechargeable lithium batteries. They seem to be relatively safe when used singly but do pose some risk when used in multicell lights.
jc

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
R123s simply wont work.... tube is too thin

-David

FlashMike

Newly Enlightened
thumbsup.gif
You CAN use rechargeables!

I went home list night and tried some rechargeable batteries in my Amilite T3. As has been noted in this thread, neither the protected RCR123's I received with my Peak CPF special or the protected RCR123's I purchased from Lighthound fit. The AmiLite Battery tube is simply too narrow.
HOWEVER, I also tried the UNprotected RCR123 I purchased from Lighthound (800mAh). These fit without any problem. The light turned on and ran (though I only tested for just a minute) w/o any problem. I would expect that the additional voltage of the rechargeables would be no issue since they probably sag to well below 4v pretty quickly.

The unprotected 123's are a bit longer than the primary cells, so the oft-mentioned band of non-anodized aluminum is larger and shows even when the head is tightened to turn the light on. I'll take a picture to show this later.

So the summary is that you CAN use rechargeables
smile.gif
. But be careful - the AmiLite won't keep these unprotected cells from over-discharge.

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a really bad idea to use rechargeables. It will get way too hot.

-David

FlashMike

Newly Enlightened
There is no question that the AmiLite will get warm using rechargeables. But it also gets warm using primary cells. It's a small light driving a LED hard - heat is part of that bargain.

Since I don't have a themometer to use for testing, this is what I just did. I ran an AmiLite for 10 minutes with a RCR123. The light was sitting on it's tail and was not cooled by anything other than the surrounding air (no water, hands, etc). I think this is the worse case for heat. I did the same test with my Peak CPF special, also with RCR123.

At the end of 10 minutes, both lights were quite hot, but not so hot that you could not touch them. I could wrap my hand tightly around the heads w/o a problem. The temps seem similar, with the Peak perhaps a bit warmer. They cooled noticably when held.

Based on this result, I plan to run my AmiLite on Rechargeables. IMHO, as long as the light is held (which helps with cooling), there will be no problems. Anyway, an AmiLite is not the torch I think of when I need to provide continuous light for hours.