Cabelas 6V XPG light

zehnmm

Enlightened
Last week, my wife and I were traveling to Dallas, and made a side-trip to the new Cabelas in Ft. Worth. I ended up buying 2 of their 6V XPG Xenon lights. They advertise some 65 lumens, and comparing it to my E2E with the 60 lumen MN03 bulb, I find it to be a bit brighter ---- hence, from my vantage point, their claim of 65 lumens could very well be true. The light sells for $29.99 and comes with a holster. Not a bad deal for a 6P clone.

The other thing was that they had some sort of special going on whereby if I signed up for one of their credit cards, I got an instant $15 off of my purchase, another $10 off on a future purchase, and 2% for my Cabela's purchases, when I use the card. I see their deal as kind of an alternative to what REI does with their dividends. The bottom line is that I got a 2nd light for our son for $15.

The light has a lexan lens and an on-off clickie tailcap. It does not have the LOTC feature, nor does it have a momentary feature, but so far seems to work ok.

As other posts have stated, it appears to be a Digilight clone.

All in all, this will make a good light to stay in my truck for occasional use.

Regards.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lexan lens? That's what I had thought, but when someone reported that the XPG mininturbo head has a glass lens, I figured the stockl head would, too.

zehnmm

Enlightened
When I was looking at the lights, I asked one of the sales people if the lens was glass, and his reply was that it was a lexan polycarbonate lens. I forgot to ask about the turbo-heads while I was there.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I know is that one CPFer wrote that the turbo head has or "definitely has" a glass lens. Personally, I wouldn't be too sure.

innerlight

Newly Enlightened
Customer Service has been wrong before, but according to an email from cabelas.com, both the standard head and the turbo head have a lens made from "proprietary, high impact plastic."

uz2busmc

Newly Enlightened
The main reason I said these were glass in prev post was because the instructions gave warnings for a glass lens. I guess there is no way to really tell without breaking it. For those that believe these lights are from G&P, they stated that they had no idea what "Cabelas" is in an email I received from them. Cabelas would not tell me who makes them and Digi did not answer if they provide them for cabelas. Personally, I just want to be sure of what lamp is in them so I don't waste money on another lamp from Digi that might actually be the same one that is in the XPG.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
uz2busmc said:
For those that believe these lights are from G&P, they stated that they had no idea what "Cabelas" is in an email I received from them.
You wrote to G&P, and they replied? In English? How did you reach them? Perhaps they'd be willing to sort out the confusion over the lumens and current of their various G60s, G90s, and G120s.

innerlight

Newly Enlightened
10-4 USMC

I hope you are not aggravated. I was not trying to prove you wrong or anything. It was important to know, for me anyway, because I would rather pay a few extra bucks at digilightusa.com and make sure I am getting glass. I don't want to put out $70 or more for a light and then have it scratch next year thereby affecting the beam, even slightly. Especially true since noone is selling the bezel seperate from the lamp assembly.

Incidentally, I have ordered a body and tailcap from blackrifles and a 12V turbo head from digilight. I will let everyone know what I think when it comes in.

Peace.

uz2busmc

Newly Enlightened
innerlight,

No... I am certainly not aggravated - at all- I was typing at work and had to get my .02 in kinda quick... sorry if I came across aggravated. If anyone has probably become aggravated, it would probably be Paul over this because I've beat this issue a bunch, and it seems that I am interested a little more than most.

Paul,

This is what they wrote me ( below ), goodluck having them sort it out, kinda broken Eng. Now... the 9v G&P you have, I imagine looks like the XPG on cabelas website, correct? Because I just noticed that the ones on the website are not the ones you get when you order from them now, the one that arrives... and the one that I received... look like the Digi light. The tailcap on the 12v digi and my 12v xpg are the same and I don't see these tailcaps on the G&P website. There is also some diff in the body of the G&P and the Digi, I imagine one an older model than the other, maybe this wil shed more light (pun intended).

Dear Miguel,

We regret to let you know that we don't know what is Cabelas, if you need to know do we have the model of flashlight that you want it, please refer to our website, we have shown all our flashlight that we have.

Best Regards,
Webmaster

uz2busmc

Newly Enlightened
Forgot to add...

If G&P is sincere ( given the person who wrote me actually knows ) and they don't know of cabelas and digilight would not answer me, I'm still going with the idea that Digi supplied cabelas and there is a strong chance they are not derated versions being sold by cabelas.

Sales point of view, Digi would not want to tell because people could get the same light for half the cost from someone they cut a deal to. If they don't tell, the market plays itself out, they keep their bulk sales with cabelas and they keep thier direct sales aswell.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
uz2busmc said:
Paul, Now... the 9v G&P you have, I imagine looks like the XPG on cabelas website, correct? Because I just noticed that the ones on the website are not the ones you get when you order from them now, the one that arrives... and the one that I received... look like the Digi light.
I'm exhausted from comparing the various parts of the various versions! I think that the Surefire P compatibility Wiki will be up by next month, and together we can sort out the differing tailcaps, heads, and such.

I rather like the oversize, deeply knurled tailcap that came on my LEDWave Z-3, even though it's not a clickie. Those khurls make it very easy to turn.

uz2busmc

Newly Enlightened
Sorry Paul, I wasn't thinking about the fact that you might have to physically look at your lights for the comparison ( with the many I'm sure you have ), besides a Mag or two, I only really have the XPG to worry about... so it's easy for me. Like I said before, I do appreciate your trouble though, and I do look forward to the campatability table, thanx again.

juancho

Enlightened
Hope this is the right thread to post this, I was asking Paul some questions about the Cabela's XPG that I recently bought and I got some interesting answers.

By the way,
Thanks Paul!!!

Re: Question from Juancho
Quote:
Originally Posted by juancho
The original head have a glass lens, BUT the BIG head's lens is plastic.:rant:

Your experience matches the reports in CPF. I didn't believe it (glass in one, plastic in the other) till you told me!

Quote:
The light have a clicky switch and looks to be relatively well made (in China).
It's probably the same switch used in the G&P T9 and X9.

Quote:
Question #1: Where I can get a Pyrex or glass lens for the Big head?
Order a 43mm filter .

Quote:
Question #2: What is this light? it is a Digi Light? or what?
It's one of five or six variants of the G&P T9 (narrow head) and X9 (wide head). Each is specified a bit differently: plastic lens or glass; clicky switch, reverse clickie, or twistie; high-pressure lamp or regular; round wide head or faceted (many sides).

Quote:
I tried my G&P remote pressure pad tail-cap switch, it screw in but don't work.
It will probably work if you add a metal spacer, like a U.S. dime. Many bodies are like that; switch the tailcap, and you may be 2 or 3mm short.

Quote:
Any idea if will stand out the recoil of the 30-06?
No idea. Digilight rates its lamps for use on a rifle, but from what little I know about rifles--or is that a shotgun?--the 30-06 is a serious weapon!

Quote:
The instruction paper say that the lamp is USA made, what is this lamp?
All the G&P resellers say that. I have no idea; to me, G&P is 100% Asian. I think that's their way of telling us that it's made in the same factory as Surefire lamps. I don't think it's true.
Quote:
Where I can get spares from?
You can't buy a lamp alone; you can buy the small (26mm) lamp assembly as a G&P G120 or Digilight 12VHP. The G120 is available on eBay, but go with the Digilight; I'm more confident that it will fit the 39mm miniturbo reflector, too, and it should be more efficient. You can buy it direct from Digilight USA
Quote:
Thank you for your help, best regards,
Juan C.
You're welcome. Questions like yours are of interest to all, so please feel free to copy and paste this, or parts of it, into the Cabela's thread. Paul

Regards
Juan C.