Lighthound 8 LED 1AA UV flashlight.....

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I already have (and love) the 12 LED 3AAA UV light shown on Lighthound's website, it's a fun little light, great for illuminating security features in currency, looking for *ahem* bodily fliuds *ahem*, and just generally seeing what unexpected stuff flouresces when hit by UV, it's also great for charging GITD stuff....

when i first bought the LED UV light, i had to decide what version i wanted, the 12 LED model that uses 3 AAA's in a carrier, or a slightly dimmer 8 LED one that uses a single AA.....

i'm not a big fan of carrier-lights, but i wanted the most power available, so i picked up the 12 LED version, it was a good decision, the carrier was only slightly annoying.....

so, on this last Lighthound order, i decided to get the smaller 8 LED version that runs off a single AA, just to have both versions, and to directly compare them both.....

the 8UV is a taller, narrower light than the 12UV, it has a black painted body, the paint is fairly durable, and withstood a good amount of my "scratch in an unobtrusive area" test, there is an O-Ring sealing the tailcap, but no o-ring sealing the head, the head is removable and contains the entire light engine, held in place by a threaded friction ring, the clickie switch on the barrel has a rubber cap to prevent water intrusion, i'd class this light as "spray/splash resistant", not dunkable, not designed to withstand water entry

the 8 LED version's business end appears to be machined out of aluminum, and the 8 individual LED's sit recessed in wells drilled into the head, much like the Inova X5, the wells act as reflectors, as well as protect the LED's from accidental damage

all LED's appear to be aligned straight ahead, unlike the 12UV, which may have some off-center or misaligned LED's, i've handled 3 of the 12 LED versions, and LED alignment is spotty at best, it's nothing *horribly* bad, but what do you expect for a $7 light....

the 8UV uses a standard rubber capped clickie on the barrel of the light, as opposed to the reverrse-clickie tailcap of the 12UV

i'd give the durability/fit and finish edge to the 8UV

as far as light intensity and UV frequency, the difference is quite dramatic, even with partially depleted batteries, the 12UV is easily *twice* as bright as the 8UV, and the 8 is running on a fresh Duracell

the 8UV also seems to be emitting a higher frequency UV, the light is more to the "bluish" side of bluish-purple, i'd hazard a guess it's emitting in the mid-400nM range, wheras the 12UV is in the high 390-400ish range, it doesn't illuminate credit card UV ink as well as the 12UV, i can get a usable range from 12-24" with the 12UV, the 8UV will only illuminate UV inks at 6", and the UV ink is more transparent under the 8UV

uric acid residue on the toilet at work is also less apparent with the 8UV....

overall, i'm rather dissapointed with the 8UV.....

8UV Pros;
very well constructed, solidly built
all LED's are properly aligned
standard clickie switch on barrel
runs on a single AA

8UV Cons;
less powerful than the 12UV (to be expected, after all, it has less battery power to work with)
produces less usable UV light (higher frequency, not as good at illuminating currency security features)

overall rating (on a scale of 1-10); 4, the poor UV frequencies emitted make it less than useful, if it produced similar UV frequencies as the 12UV, it'd rate higher, perhaps a 6, it's not the lack of power that knocked the rating down, it's the poor UV frequencies it produced

my first real "dissapointment" from Lighthound :(

Don't worry, John, not mad at *you*, you didn't make the light, you just imported it, i wasn't expecting much from the 8UV anyway, more of a curiosity than anything

depending on how .... evil.... i'm feeling, i *may* try dropping in a 3.6V AA Lithium into the 8UV to see if that improves it's performance any (at the expense of runtime), i think these LED's are underdriven anyway

Pics tonight when i get home....

MacTech

Enlightened
Okay, turns out there was a loose/dirty connection in the 8UV, causing a lower brigtness setting, removing the head and cleaning the contacts helped dramatically, as did popping in a AA Lithium cell....

it's still dimmer than the 12UV, *and* still produces a higher and less useful UV light....

here's some pics;

first off, the scale comparison;
8UVscale.jpg

left to right; Minimag, Lighthound 12UV, Lighthound 8UV, Inova X1

8UVside.jpg

8UVheadon.jpg

Illumination shots;
8UVfront.jpg

8UV_12UV.jpg

8UV12UVbeamshots.jpg

finally, i illuminated a set of flourescent index cards thumbtacked to the wall, distance was 10 feet, sorry for the blurry shots, what's important here is the intensity of the glow...

the 8UV;
Glowcards8.jpg

the 12UV;
Glowcards12.jpg

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
MacTech said:
when i first bought the LED UV light, i had to decide what version i wanted, the 12 LED model that uses 3 AAA's in a carrier, or a slightly dimmer 8 LED one that uses a single AA.....QUOTE]
Ive been back twice to Lighthound for that 12 LED deal.:sold: I'm glad I found out about that place.cool name ,cool place for cool lights

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had exactly the same reaction as you, MacTech. But still a useful light.

I must clean out the contacts as you describe and see if there is any difference.

Lighthound still #1 for me!

Where did you get that red metal X1?? It's gorgeous!

MacTech

Enlightened
Nyctophiliac said:
I had exactly the same reaction as you, MacTech. But still a useful light.

I must clean out the contacts as you describe and see if there is any difference.

Lighthound still #1 for me!

Where did you get that red metal X1?? It's gorgeous!
the X1 was purchased at the Discovery Store in the local mall

as far as the 8UV goes, tighten down the silver bezel as well, that's what was actually causing the poor light level, in fact, it loosened up so much last night that it quit working, i was about to angrily revise the rating to *zero*, then i discovered the aluminum bezel ring was loose, snugged it back down, and the light works fine now

MacTech

Enlightened
powernoodle said:
Mac - does the 12LED work on, ahem, animal fluids, blood, etc? I'm waiting on USPS to bring me one.

best regards
yes, it works on our old mixed-breed dog, Hannah's "leaks", she's an old girl, and has developed a minor leakage problem (she's on meds for it), the 12UV works well for detecting the leak spots...

heck, it even found some old, old "residue" from my old (now dearly departed) male Maine Coon cat, Columbus, when he took up "spraying" in his autumnn years, even though he had been fixed as a kitten.....

ps56k

Enlightened
Re: Lighthound UV flashlight.....

me too - just ordered the 12UV - looking for Cat spots, and missed target from our son....
---
Item Name: 12 LED UV 3xAAA Flashlight
Item Number: UVAAA
Quantity: 1
Total: $6.99 USD

Cart Subtotal: $6.99 USD
Shipping: $3.99 USD
Sales Tax:
Cart Total: $10.98 USD

ps56k

Enlightened
Re: Lighthound UV flashlight.....

Now that I have the 12LED UV light on order, I was wondering about something that I see on CSI... Why do they have an orange filter plate clipped to the flashlight (or wear orange safety glasses) when using their UV flashlight looking for evidence ? hmmm - maybe a safety issue to protect from viewing a direct reflection of the UV light ?

carrot

Flashaholic
That's right. Long term exposure to high-powered UV will cause damage to your retinas. Take care of your eyes... no fun in being a flashaholic if you're blind.