She sells C-cells by the Surefire...

Would you like to see more LONGER lasting C-cell flashlights?

• Yes, I'd love to see my favorite AA/CR123 in C cell form.

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • No, Lithium AA and CR123 are the future.

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • I'm considering the possibilities. Makes sense.

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Unsure(fire) / Undecided.

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

tron3

Banned
Forgive my pun on the old tongue twister. This was aluded to in an earlier thread and felt it needed some more attention.

In this myriad world of flashlight batteries, it seems that 2 or 3 kinds of batteries are held as favorites. AA, CR123, and D-cells, but not necessarily in that order.

What about the forgotten C-cell? It seems that CR123's are the new C-cell. (They look like baby C-cells, don't they?) When you look at the power of these cells you wonder which is really better?

A CR123 is about 3.7v at 1,400mAh, while a good C cell is at least 3,000mAh and 1.5v. Less than half the voltage but more than double the amps. I've seen at least a few C-cell lights that litterally stay lit for days on end. How many CR123 lights we have like that?

Not as powerful as a mighty 10,000mAh D cell, the little C cell is smaller and lighter. May take more batteries to give us the voltage we want, but it still is a lot longer lasting than even Lithium AA, if I am not mistaken. Sure, we won't see single C cell EDC's any time soon but aren't long lasting lights just as important as small bright lights?

How many would like to see more C-cell lights?

Last edited:

Flakey

Enlightened
i have found that c cells are great for overstuffing d cell bodies and still getting a great runtime, 8c cells will fit in a 6d mag! 5000 mah too!!

tron3

Banned
Flakey said:
i have found that c cells are great for overstuffing d cell bodies and still getting a great runtime, 8c cells will fit in a 6d mag! 5000 mah too!!

Excellent point. C cells are 3000 - 5000 mAh, so they are MUCH longer lasting than Lithium AA, or CR123. 4 C cells could fit into a 3 D cell maglite, if I am correct. Anyone verify this?

Flakey

Enlightened
if you remove the spring and scrape the Anodising off of the tailcap you basicaly have a whole c cell woth of space right there, i think that will work in any D body mag. C cell lithium ions will be another cool thing in the future easy to get the voltage up there, Ie mag85 in a 2d body with an hour runtime =) I think all sized batteries have their place and c is definetly overlooked alot. I really like the form factor of C mags, and am considering a ROP lithium build, but i gotta get the mag100 up and running first =)

tron3

Banned
I just found an excellent example of what I am talking about.

Two 5w Nuwai LED flashlights. One uses 2 CR123's, the other uses 4 Cells.
I own both these lights. Brightness is virtually identical to the eye.

2 CR123 version
http://store.advancedmart.com/nulu5wledalf1.html

4 C-Cell version
http://store.advancedmart.com/lu5wledalfl1.html

Now, what are the differences in run time, at different brightness levels and flashing?

CR123:
100% - 1hr
50% - 2 hrs
25% - 4 hrs
Flashing - 2 hours

C cell:
100% - 4hr
50% - 8 hrs
25% - 15 hrs
Flashing - 8 hours

How can you NOT want your favorite light in a C cell form now?

IonFire

Enlightened
Are you honestly comparing 2x123's against 4xC's?

I prefer 123's, form factor, weight savings, and no discharge.

Poll freak.:whistle:

IF

Chris201W

Enlightened
The SL TT 3C is one of my favorite lights to hold in my hand and use.

I do like the capacity of C cells without the heft of D cells, however, their (relatively) large size still prevents any C cell light from becoming a practical EDC light. They're just too big...

The appeal of AA's and 123A's is the ability to make a small light.

randyo

Enlightened
C-cells are fine, but for stuffing a D-cell light with alternative power, I prefer the 4AA to D adapters. Stuffing 4 AA Lithium cells into a D adapter gives you 1.7V at over 11,000 maH. More than double that of a C cell.

Most of the CR123 lights are too big for keychain use. Since I don't use "pocket lights", I prefer some MASS on my non pocket lights. C cell lights are a "minimum" for my hand carry lights.

Nuwai ALX-233C, Elektrolumens Tri-Star Phazer, there some fine C cell lights available today at both extremes of the price scale.

randyo

Enlightened
Yes, there are others. I believe Modamag makes one that is the length of a 2D cell combo, and Aventrade.com sells the single D-cell size that holds 4AA cells. Size is an issue with these - not all AA cells will fit into your D tube - especially with NIMH. I have no problem with Energizer Lithium, and spotty results with Batterystation Lithium which appear to be a wee bit larger.

tron3

Banned
IonFire said:

IF

Yes, that I am. Any GOOD company selling flashlights for a living reads this forum. It's free market research for crying out loud.

This one poll alone already indicateds that 33% want their favorite light in a C-cell form factor. That's like money in the bank for a 2nd line product. Plus another 12% are greatly considering the possibilities. 45% market potential is nothing to sneeze at, if this poll is typical. Besides in the world outside of flashaholics, people want larger standard batteries, while others want AA. The marketing potential is there.

Sell these things with included AA adaptor, and watch it fly. In the mind of some it's a AA flashlight. Also good for people who don't want to buy another type of battery.

I think we will see a larger selection of C-cell lights soon, and some will mirror their AA/CR123 brethren. A run of 10,000 is good enough to see how they sell, and trust me, sooner or later they all sell.

IonFire

Enlightened
Yup no doubt about it.

I am glad atleast that my favorite light won't be switching any time soon to C's.

I don't want to carry that much weight anymore.

The saying goes, the best light, is the one carried with you, i am not going to carry a 1-3lb torch around, ever.

IF

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
IonFire said:
Are you honestly comparing 2x123's against 4xC's?

I prefer 123's, form factor, weight savings, and no discharge.

IF

IF,
You beat me to the punch... sorry but you've started wayyyyyyy tooooooooooo many polls tron