SO I got my new KL3 head in today. Very nice.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very happy to see a little box from FoxIntl on my stoop today. Inside was my precious. My new baby. I really like this thing. Are they sure its only 30+ lumens? It seems alot brighter. I kid you not it seems at LEAST as powerful as a P60. Definetly my new EDC. Can't beat this thing with a stick. Can definetly be used for tactical purposes, that tight beam is just wicked on the eyes. (Yes, I tried it on myself - typical CPF, huh?) Tint is VERY good, I have a hard time deciding if it has a slight blue tint or not, its that white.

Highly Recommended

jtice

Flashaholic
Glad to hear you like it.
I have a KL5 and love it,
and have been thinking about getting a KL3 for better runtime,
but I am afraid the lack of spill will bother me too much :(
Unless it throw like crazy. :p

~John

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, be warned. It has virtually NO spill compared to a KL5. But the throw is insane. You can also get the new lower profile beamshaper for it to diffuse it for close up operations. I'll be ordering one next payday as a matter of fact.

jtice

Flashaholic
any chance of a few beamshots? :D
once you get the beam shaper.

If it was alot more low profile than most SF filters, etc, then I might try that.
Have anything to compare the throw to?
SL 4AA Lux, Alephs, PR heads, Inova T4?

~John

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:
I kid you not it seems at LEAST as powerful as a P60.

Highly Recommended

Nice buy :thumbsup:
I like the KL3 so much that I'm finding it hard to give it up in favour of a gladius although I think the latter throw slightly further and is more useful with more functions.

Try a ceiling bounce test and you'll see the P60 is slightly noticeably brighter. The human eye isn't that sensitive to a diff of about 20-30 lumens, and with the nicely collimated beam, the KL3 looks very bright indeed.

I'm still waiting for my darn F70 beamshaper to arrive :) Once it does, I can see if it fits and how bulky it is.

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
I just ordered mine yesterday. Not coming till the end of the week:mecry::mecry:. If you are looking for beamshots. Flashlightreviews.com has a review of it here.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does a magmod out throw the KL3? I would think it would... but..?

jtice: you could always drop a reflector in there. You can put a 20mm reflector and flat glass in a 4th gen KL1. I'm not sure what size reflector would fit a KL3, 27mm?

Longbow

Enlightened
It out throws my pp 4aa lux, is very white and easy on batteries. I love mine but do intend on getting a beam shaper.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:

jtice: you could always drop a reflector in there. You can put a 20mm reflector and flat glass in a 4th gen KL1. I'm not sure what size reflector would fit a KL3, 27mm?

A mag definitely outthrows a KL3. I find most reflectors, esp substantially big ones like a mag will win over any optic, even my 2 degree carclo.

The mag's tightest focus throws it 100m or so pretty easily, while the KL3's range is about 50m max. It's a nice collimated spot for mid range use, but once the distance is about 10-15m, the spot opens up quite a bit.

I'm not sure what reflector would fit, but prob the 27mm. I'm not gonna mess with my head (I think :D ) esp when I am intending to sell it off to get a gladius (ok, I'm slow :nana: ).

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
If you read the review it says that the KL3 is designed to have slightly less light output then some, but hugely improve battery life.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it is only drawing around 220-250 (can't remember the figure) ma.
I bet the modded ones at 700-1000 ma are even better throwers :)

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: So I got my new KL3 head in today. Very nice.

Which model beamshaper fits the KL3, the F70? Its a 1.47" head right?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: So I got my new KL3 head in today. Very nice.

FM64 reportedly fits.
F70 should theoretically fit, am still waiting for mine to arrive. Should be soon now.

Yup, 1.47" head

colubrid

Enlightened
Whats the difference between the KL4 and the KL04?

I know the KL04 has an adjustable beam but will it give as wide a flood as the KL4?

I want something with the widest beam.

Last edited:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
TLE-5 does not even come close to my E1L... it's really a HUGE difference

IsaacHayes said:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL3 II is great, but it's too big to be used on small host bodies (it's possible, but that defeats the purpose of compactness), also the beam profile is too spot IMO. Besides, I only have a SF M3 so I can't buy the KL3 II but instead the KL6. Now, anyone tried the KL6 with positive results? How does it compare with the KL3 II, and what's the runtime of the KL6 on three and four prime 123As? Kindly advise.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the KL6 is reflector based so its' going to have a more traditional beam. Someone around here posted beamshots of the KL5, KL6, U2 and others. Might search for it. The Surefire site says it will run for 95 mins regulated on three cells, don't know about 4 cells. I wouldn't try it unless they say its safe to do.