Color Inova X5's $19.90 at Frys

Canuke

Enlightened
For those in the California area and possibly elsewhere, the color Inova X5's have been priced down to $19.90 (white ones remain at $29.99). From what I know, when a Frys price ends with .90 cents, it means it's going to be discontinued.

Did someone else here say that the color X5's were going away all over?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmm... if the white ones are $19.90 as well, I'll go pick up another one.

I noticed today at Target, that the X5s they had looked like they've been upgraded to the Nichia CS LEDs. The new X1 with the reflector have what I believe are CSs and the keychain lights also look like they've been upgraded to CSs.

If the X5 line has been upgraded to the Nichia CS LEDs, I wonder if the ones Fry's is discounting are the ones made before the 'upgrade'.

ow!myeyez

Newly Enlightened
i went to fry's the other day and i also spotted and bought a blue x5 at 19.90. i never owned one b4 but the rings from the light are very pronounced...they don't make a circle. instead it makes about three ugly rings and some flood...is that how it is supposed to look?? they all looked like that at the fry's i went to... so i assumed they were supposed to be like that...not a smooth beam at all. can anyone confirm this or do i have a reject on my hands?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easy, now ;) Hmmm, I'm gonna have to check into that. Roadtrip to see the g/f takes me right past the one in Indianapolis..

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh oh... guess I better head up to the one in Fishers/Indianapolis before AC cleans them out. If they have them both, I think I'll pick up a white one and a red one.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just of 69 North. The first exit past 465 on the north east side of Indy.

If you aren't familiar with the area... beware. 69 North between 82nd street and 116th street is the absolutely worst traffic in Indiana. Northbound is unbelievable during the afternoon and I've seen traffic backed up from 116th street to the 56th exit... That's a bit over 6 miles.

I did just go there this evening. They had exactly two white X5s and they were priced at 29.99 and they rang up $29.99. I was kinda disappointed because of the two they had, one was MUCH brighter than the other one. I assume they have upgraded them with the Nichia CS LEDs as the color profile was in line with the CSs. The dimmer one was more consistantly white.

They also had blue LED X5s in black or titanium, green LED X5s in titanium and red LED X5s in black, all priced at $19.99.

I got one of the latter. Very impressive red output. I had no real use for it, but I rationalized it to myself by thinking that now, I won't get the Nite Ize red module... Of course, I still will.

I was looking at the blue X5s which is now the only color I've never had. The blue LEDs are pretty crappy and you can see all kinds of artifacts in the beam pattern of each LED. I'm not being overly picky, I mean, I was just shining it on a white price tag from about a foot or more away and you could see all kinds of swirly dark lines and whatnot. I'm sure at 20 feet it would be fine though.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been thinking about picking up either an X5 or a nite ize in blue for a minimag for my dad in deer season as it is supposed to make blood stand out. Perhaps for this price the blue X5 is the way to go now.

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
That's weird, the white LED version rang up 19.90. I wonder if the cashier just did a quantity and scanned one of the color ones?

I'll have to find the receipt...

pizzaman

Enlightened
"That's weird, the white LED version rang up 19.90. I wonder if the cashier just did a quantity and scanned one of the color ones?"

I took a chance and went to Fry's to get another white LED X5. I had the cashier scan it and it came up at $29. Not on Sale. I was pretty dissapointed.

I consoled myself by picking up a white LED X1. At least the trip wasn't a total loss.

TR

InfidelCastro

Banned
I picked up one of the white Inova X5's from Target Monday for $37. Returned it on Tuesday. It did have the Nichia LED's. It was pretty bright, but I don't like the angry blue that 'white' Nichia's give off in the center of the beam.

The biggest problem with the light though was that the LED's were not centered, so the beam was off kilter. In other words the beam was not going in the same direction as the flashlight was pointing. Very annoying.

I would like a red X5, but I wish it wasn't a two cell sized light when it only uses one cell...

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I wish the red X5 held two batteries and just had a different circuit.

I do wonder something... I wonder if Target would price match Fry's price on X5s. If so, I wonder if they'd honor that same price on the white LED lights as well. I'm sure it costs Target the same for a white or colored LED X5.

Would that be considered unscrupulous?

Is this one of those things where if I have to ask, it's probably not?

str.gif

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Color Inova X5's now $9.90 at Frys in Illinois

I was at the Fry's near Downers Grove, Illinois tonight (Thursday, March 2) and they priced the Inova colored X5 lights down to $9.90.

The blue X1 price was down to $4.90.

I almost bought a green X5 in black case, but I didn't need one so I passed up the deal.

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
cratz2 said:
I noticed today at Target, that the X5s they had looked like they've been upgraded to the Nichia CS LEDs. /// If the X5 line has been upgraded to the Nichia CS LEDs, I wonder if the ones Fry's is discounting are the ones made before the 'upgrade'.

Hey, I've been saying this for a couple of months now! But not sure anyone believed me. I got a good one by careful selection, but the local Target had what seemed to be two versions in identical packaging - one dimmer and one far brighter and with the hot blue center. I said they seemed to be the Nichia CS IMHO. I know some hate the color and I'm not terribly fond of it either, but considering the output and thow benefits, this X5 has become a favorite.

Now I have received a green X5 and am not sure whether to return it, mod it, or what. It has the older, fluted body. The light is very irregular, patterned, swirly - not just from one or two LEDs but from each of them. I was hoping for a nice, uniform green flood like the white flood.:ironic:

- Bill