online sellers of cheap magazine subscriptions?

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've fooled around and let several of my subscriptions run out, so I need to renew. I was wondering if there were online sellers that had good prices for renewals. I'm talking about magazines such as "Popular Photography" and "Car and Driver".

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what time of year they usually do it, but I get my subscriptions from kids selling them for fund raisers. They are $10 per year. I only get Motor Trend and Car and Driver from them as they usually don't sell Grassroot Motorsports or any gun magazines.

Eric_M

Enlightened
I just got a subscription from MagsDirect.com for one of my paintball magazines. I saved $10 on the annual subscription but had to wait 3 months for it to take effect. About 3 times what it would take if I would have gone direct to the magazine for the sub.

They're good but take longer to get started in my experience.

Eric

Kirk

Enlightened
bjn70,
I've had luck calling the Customer Service 800 number for the actual magazine and asking if they'll match the discounters' prices. Most won't go for the lowest you can find but they will go quite low. Example, Time magazine's "normal' subscription is $59.95 a year. I called Time and asked for their lowest rate and got $29.95. The lowest internet rate I could find was $24.95, but the Time lady said a lot of those "cheapie" magazine distributors take a long time to start your subscription or even rip you off. I also got Autoweek for $19.95. I figure I can't go wrong calling and renewing with the "real thing".
Kirk

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to the fatwallet.com forums and search "magazine". The discounters take a long time to get the subscription going, but there are some pretty crazy discounts. I recently got three years of Rolling Stone for a little less than $6! I also renewed Consumer Reports for two years for $22. RS took three months for the first issue to show up, but for $6 how much can you complain?

Peter

Diode

Newly Enlightened
NetMagazines.com has good prices. But I must warn you about the long wait time. My first magazine took 3 months to get started. The last magazine took over 5 months!