PayPal Phishing

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've heard of this occurring, but never had an incident occur to me, until now. I just received and E-Mail, supposedly from PP, that confirms my payment of $179.00 to ECAP Enterprises, LLC for a "Tommy Armour RAM 17 Piece Golf Set". Is has the shipping information going to Kenneth Limanseto in Rohnert Park CA.

I immediately went into my PP account (not using the links in the message) and verified that these funds were not taken from my account. I've since change my PP password. There are a few things that made me leary of this message.

#1 - The text of the message was in fact an image, not free-form text that one would expect.

#2 - There a notice and link to click on if you think this was an unauthorized purchase.

#3 - Although the link they want you click on to report the fraud is listed as a PP domain, it's actually going to an IP address.

I've attached the message/image here.

PPF.GIF

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get those occasionally. I get similar emails from various banks, none of which I do business with. I delete all of them, although sometimes I'll snoop around them first just to see how well they hide evidence of being fake.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I got a Paypal email last summer like this one regarding a purchase for ~$8,000.00 (I think for an LCD HDTV) that of course I never made. I too went to my Paypal account to see what was going on, and there was no record of such a transaction.

Monolith

Enlightened
this_is_nascar said:
It has the shipping information going to Kenneth Limanseto in Rohnert Park CA.

The address is legit:

Park Meadow Apartments

I guess you could call the office and ask for Ken :grin2:

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
I get those all the time. Turn off HTML email, it is all spam and phishing.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've gotten a bunch of those, telling me I've just bought such and such. My dad gets them even more often that I do, and he doesn't have an eBay or Paypal account!

Last edited:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I report it anyway. Maybe if everybody reported every time they got one PP's email system would get so overloaded they'd have to act..

Other than reporting it, what else can do you do?? Visit the link on a known safe system (linux, maybe even linux cd distro) and spam them back with vulgar false information?? That could be fun..

amlim

Enlightened
ACMarina said:
I report it anyway. Maybe if everybody reported every time they got one PP's email system would get so overloaded they'd have to act..

Other than reporting it, what else can do you do?? Visit the link on a known safe system (linux, maybe even linux cd distro) and spam them back with vulgar false information?? That could be fun..

yep, me too. i make it a point to reoport it.

kingkong63

Newly Enlightened
My name is Kenneth LImanseto. I was too being scammed with this $179 golf clubs. The scammer sent email similar like the one that this_is_nascar got. The email was saying that I purchased and paid an item in the amount of $179 that I've never seen or purchased. It asked if the transaction was correct or not. If it is not correct, it asked me to put my info, my back account, and everything else. So, I did... Now, I had to close my bank account, my Paypal account.

So.. whoever was the victim of this, I just want to say, if I were the scammer why would I even mention my own name and my where about...

I just found out about this.. and my bank told me that if you are asked for your info, such as Bank account, SSN, or any important info via email.. DON'T EVER GIVE IT OUT... I Hope this will clear out my name....

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I get these also! I can tell that they are fake as they are sent to my regular e-mail address and NOT to the e-mail address I use for PP! My ISP lets me have as many e-mail address as I need!

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Ray:

To be on the safe side, check with your credit card company, and see if there has been an unauthorized purchase.

I have had to replace a credit card twice this year, because of unauthorized use on PayPal. I have never responded to any phishers either. I have recently come to the conclusion that PayPal has either been hacked, or has an internal security issue. PayPal offered me free monthly credit reports, via Equifax, a few months ago. PayPal never admitted they had a problem though.

oldgrandpajack