Turning myself in.....

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently , I've got so much time on my hands that I've just gotten way too comfortable here in the past few weeks . Seems I've been a bit opinionated and antagonistic past few days... I just finished provoking Goldserve over here.

So , I've come to the dire conclusion that some banishment is needed and I just can't do it myself .

So, put me in prison blues, I'm ready for sentencing. Make it swift.....

:mecry:

:devil: Hurry, the devil is growing:devil:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey there xochi how are you doing?

Look. Just bend you meal ticket sideways and stamp it with "NO DESSERT" and call it good, and promise to never never do it again. hehe. :devil:

I can put you to work if you want? Feel like managing a passaround?

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure Jim, I reckon I'd have to act as an upstandin feller to do a job like that all proper and such...that might just be the ticket. :)

How about a PM with the details?

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Been there, done that, xochi. :( Seems like you've realized what you're doing and are ready for a change in spirits; that's important. :twothumbs

Please consider apologizing to goldserve and anyone else who you think you've offended and call it day. js will buy us :buddies:

Ans speaking of passarounds... :thinking:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
xochi,

If you're really interested, I want to do a passaround of a TL FBOP with a premium pack and a Gen 4 LA, but I have a few reservations:

One is that I know people have gotten burned on passarounds before and I really don't want to lose a complete TL setup to some bad apple. So I know I want to restrict the passaround some how. I don't want a person to be able to sign up on CPF the day of the passaround opening, and get on the list and abscond with the light and never be heard from again.

On the other hand, I don't want to be too exclusive and restrict things to people who probably don't really need to see a TL first hand anyway.

The other issue is that even if each person only has the light for 3 days, that means about a week per person when figuring shipping times. So if 20 people sign up, that's like 4 or 5 MONTHS worth of time with the light out there in transit. That's OK and all, but it's a rather long time even so.

So what I need is a way to get this light out to no more than 15 CPFers, and out to the 15 right CPFers--the 15 people out there who will most benefit from being able to play with this light for a couple, three days.

Got any ideas on how to figure that out? I had been thinking of restricting it to CPFers who joined before 2006 and who had 100 posts or more as of the signup, but that could be both too restrictive and not restrictive enough.

But however it happens, and whatever is finally decided, it would be really great if you had the time and inclination to monitor and keep track of the passaround and those signed up and do record keeping on the thread and so on.

So if you want the job, it's yours--and you can get to play with the light yourself in the bargain.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and I don't care if the lights gets scratched up a little. I just don't want to unwittingly and unwillingly "donate" it to someone.

Let me know. It'd be cool if you really were interested.

But if not, no problem. I can certainly do it myself.

Bob_G

Enlightened
Simple - essay contest :D And he who makes penance gets to read them all and send you a selection. Limit it to LED guys - incan guys should know all about it, or are already off in hot-rod land. I'm serious - the TL/FBOP is the incan for LED guys.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
js said:
So what I need is a way to get this light out to no more than 15 CPFers, and out to the 15 right CPFers--the 15 people out there who will most benefit from being able to play with this light for a couple, three days.

JS - I ran the Gladius passaround with 30 folks that lasted several months. I lost sleep at the beginning of it worrying about what I had gotten myself into. Turned out just fine, and I only had one cracker I had to harass. Compliance with the "use it 3 days" rule did happen, but mostly each person had it longer than that, so it really stretches out. An email or PM to the participant on the 3rd day encouraging compliance might help.

One tip that I picked up, which I know they do at bladeforums as well sometimes, is not to send out a list of addresses with the light, but rather to PM the current participant with the next participant's address. That way you can weed out participants who leave CPF or become inactive after the passaround starts. You can also limit it to members with more than 100 or X number of posts, and require home and work phone numbers which you can call to confirm before shipping. I contacted one cop shop in OR to confirm that a participant was a LEO before adding him to the list. Its no guarantee of success, but diligence can really increase your odds.

Also, maybe require each participant to post a short review or set of comments rather than just playing with the light without comment. Thats the whole point of the passaround too - to stir up interest in the light. I had no interest in the Gladius until I played with one, and ended up making a purchase.

cheers

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
xochi said:
So, put me in prison blues, I'm ready for sentencing.

Maybe no playing with your flashlights for a couple days....naw that's too harsh.
got it..

For one week--No soup for you! :nana:

Don't worry about it. I've done some bad things to a co-worker this week. I felt bad about it and afterwards I tried to apologize. When that didn't work, I then realized that I was just stating the obvious and if I happened to do it while my voice was a bit elevated, it was all due to the person's original approach.
So now I don't feel so bad. :laughing:

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Passarounds usually take a long time - even when limiting the participation to 30 people. For example, the Pila GL3 passaround lasted around 18 months or so, IIRC (and the light literally went around the world!). Before Powernoodle so eloquently dished out the rules for the Gladius passaround, I had relied solely on people's honesty and the CPF PM system for contact. Now I can actually call people if there's a delay; it's nice to have that ability. I've ran "a couple" of passarounds and have not had a loss yet. Sure, I've had to :poke: a few customers, but in the end all's been well. Delays are commonplace, so a "3 day" review period really means 10-12 days per person (this includes transit time, etc.).

I usually PM or e-mail people when the light is on their way, and ask them again after a couple of days to send it or confirm sending it. I only share the address of the next person in line with the sender, and after the passaround is done I delete my lists with contact info.

You're the owner of the light, it's pretty much up to you to set the rules. Unless, of course, you want to delegate the decision-making entirely to the passaround coordinator. As P-noodle said, it's a big responsibility, and I do worry a lot about the lights under my "custody".

A thought on international "legs" of passarounds: it can get complicated with different postal systems, tax regulations, customs, and comparatively high mailing costs (vs. CONUS only). Canada is not much of a problem, but sending lights elsewhere can get messy (as was the case with the Gladius and SF U2 passaround we're doing - the Gladius is still stuck somewhere in the US/UK customs/postal service limbo). :green:

Incidentally, I have not received anything in direct retribution for coordinating all the passarounds I've done.