Can anyone test the Fenix LxP's with C cells and do a runtime chart?

tron3

Banned
I don't have the equipment to rig an LxP model flashlight with C cells and do a runtime chart. Anyone here interested in doing it? (x=0,1, or 2)

I think a lot of us would be interested in seeing how C cells stand up to AA and Lithium AA.

I know, I been pushing C cell technology lately but look at it this way. According to my polls, a good 1/3 or more of people want a C cell version of their favorite light, moreover the Fenix.

Think of this as free market research for companies to build us the lights we really want. Just because you don't care about it, many people here still do.

Let's not have a jihad over battery types. :xyxgun:

<poll withheld to protect the innocent.> :sweat:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
The whole purpose of the Fenix series was to have a small EDC light? Using C batteries goes back to a big size light. Maybe you can get a 2 cell Mag modded or a Nuwai, if you want C's. Maybe I'm missing something here? :thinking:

drizzle

Enlightened
I'm with fieldops. I have nothing against C cells and could see owning one but I don't see any point in hooking the Fenix to them. The Fenix has compromised head size to make a small package. If you are going to go with C cells you might as well make a head size appropriate for them.

My 4AA Propolymer Lux should be here soon. I may get the C cell version of this light in the near future.

tron3

Banned
In my thread "other fenix lights we would like to see" one of the poll options is C-cell, and a number of people voted on it.

I figure all other things being equal, I would know how long a Fenix C-cell light would run.

I get the feeling they are making a cr123 version. But who knows?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, we could do some math and get some decent estimates... The Fenix L1P runs for about one hour on an alkaline AA cell which has 2850mAh. The C cell has 8350mAh or about 3 times the capacity so roughly 3 hours of runtime. The C should be able to keep with the current demands a bit better than the AA cell so maybe 3.5 hours or 4 hours at the very most.

In all honesty, I'd rather have a Fenix that was driven only half as hard that ran for twice as long if it was going to run on a C cell.

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
Would it not work the same as a Inova Radiant 2C ?

Also I think Li-ION is the future, a Fenix LxP with a 18650 cell would be great, IF it were a properly protected one and the charger was built in. (AND there were multiple settings)

Anyhow more LED lights should use 'C' cells, AAA's are too puny, AA's don't cut it, D's are too big and heavy, whereas C's are just right.

Or we should all just wait for supercapacitors to overtake primary cells. They will eventually.