Is there such a thing as a "donut hole-less" Lux V?

alvdll

Newly Enlightened
Have been hearing your guys talking about donut hole on Lux V lights, I am looking for a donut hole free Lux V, am I dreaming?

Last edited:

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is there such thing as a "donut hole-less" Lux V?

I have an L4 and a U2. Both have a doghnut hole, but it completely dissapears as soon as you get more than 8 inches away from a white wall. For real world purposes, I would consider both lights to not have doughnut holes.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is there such thing as a "donut hole-less" Lux V?

i'm not sure but I would like to know... those of you that have used the 20mm IMS reflector w/ luxV's what was your result? donut free?

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Hi all
The Lux V is a 4chip LED- you can easily see its structure if you look at it with a magnifier. The cross in between the LED dies is projected as a shadow, as it were. This is inevitable but can be very subtle or invisible depending on the focus achieved. Perfect focus will always show it, but moving the LED up or down in the reflector will blur it to some extent. For what its worth my U2 has no visible donut hole in practical use, but up close to walls at low levels it is noticeable.

Hope this helps.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my household there are 2 SureFire L2s and a SureFire L4. Both L2s have donut holes, depending upon how picky you are in defining "donut hole." The L4 does not, but its LED is slightly off-center:

l4offset5ng.jpg

Scott

Thanks to www.imageshack.us for Free Image Hosting.

nc987

Enlightened
Ive got a L5, U2, and L6. The U2 has a slight donut, but my tint is a really good white so ill take the compromise and its not apparent in real world applications, only white wall tests. My L5 is great with a very very slight donut, again only on a white wall. my L6 rules has none and is the best of the bunch as far as beam quality goes

CLHC

Flashaholic
The only "high-end" LED flashlight from SureFire that I have is the SF.L2. Pretty much what JimH Beezaur summed up. Only when "inches" from surface do I see a "hole." But since I'm using it to light things farther out away from me, I don't see one.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
No hole on my Hyperlux V (at all). The one on my L4 is very slight--so slight that I don't even notice it unless I'm looking for it.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
No , it's not a pipe dream

I have one and it really lights up a room well with no donut hole.

It's the Nuwai TM-301X-5 which uses 2 cr123a batteries.

If you will click on this link to > Flashlightreviews.com and scroll down to the beam shot - then read the sentence just above the beam shot - you'll notice that DougP the reviewer was impressed that it didn't have a hole which is common among Luxeon V lights.

I like mine and recommend it . It is also very lite weight and can be had for about $65.00. It's length is 5". It has a pocket clip firmly attached and comes with a nylon/velcro belt pouch. Mine has a reverse clicky switch with *momentary-on* button press feature. You can get them in black or titanium silver color.

That is a very good website to bookmark and use it to study many different lights. Much valuable information is provided there by "QuickBeam" who is a valued member of this forum for his contributions. I trust his reviews .

Get one .........and enjoy

Your original question :
alvdll said:
Have been hearing your guys talking about donut hole on Lux V lights, I am looking for a donut hole free Lux V, am I dreaming?

alvdll

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all, I am wondering the Nuwai TM-301X-5 isn't focus properly and that is the reason why it has no donut hole? Or maybe Nuwai is doing a better job than SF?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's focused just right. It's not a light for *throw*.

If your purpose for wanting a 5 watt is for close to medium range and putting out a wall of light.....this is it.

It works best for inside applications.....lighting up a room or blinding an intruder and being able to see him well.

alvdll said:
Thanks all, I am wondering the Nuwai TM-301X-5 isn't focus properly and that is the reason why it has no donut hole? Or maybe Nuwai is doing a better job than SF?

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
alvdll said:

The Nuwai TM-301x-5 has an orange peel reflector and is meant to be for flood lighting.
If you are actually looking for a led light that throws a distance go for 3watt light. Like the gladius.

Flakey

Enlightened
my U2 doesnt appear to have a doughnut hole just one big fat hotspot. but you tell me here is a shot of it against a movie theater screen =)

c9c8e486d43c.jpg

if theres one there i dont see it and i really dont mind, looks great very very usefull beam i love it!

waion

Newly Enlightened
All my Lux V flashlight have the doughnut hole. As what JimH said, the holes disappear at a certain distance.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well.......concerning a Surefire U2.........I'd say it DANG well better not have a hole in it for the $250.00 ++ dollars you have to pay for one .

To me that would be equal to payin $250.00 for a premium , state of the art, Pirelli racing tire with a hole in it !

If ya wanna pay for donut holes - go to dunkin-donuts , they'll charge you for the holes too.:popcorn:

Yes , you can get a donut without the hole .:grin2:

Get a cheap Nuwai - have a good light and be able to make your car payment and buy some batteries too. .:)

Don't pay for a hole . Study em carefully.........then enjoy. .:rock:

Last edited:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux V's do not have donut holes. It's the (improper) placement of the lux V that creates the donut hole. Your title suggests it's the fault of the Lux V. Just nitpicking, that's all :D

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
When adjusting the focus of my MrBulk SN2, the focus setting for maximum throw always produces a donut hole. It is possible to get rid of it by backing out the focus slightly, but this also results in a hotspot that is not as tight.

I consider a donut hole to indicate optical focus (for throw). My U2 has it, and i don't notice it in regular use.

Last edited: