Got my discounted AA E2 Lithium's - Measured voltages

tron3

Banned
The day I have long for has arrived. My very first ever Lithium AA's have come and I finally measured the power of them compared to Duracell AA Alkalines. (Sure, I have no life, but you are reading this - right?!)

Keep in mind, my readings are within +/- 0.1v on a Protek A-413 analog multimeter with no load.

Duacell Alkaline - exp date: Mar 2011:
1 cell (Nominal 1.5v) - 1.8v
2 cells (Nominal 3.0v) - 3.4v
3 cells (Nominal 4.5v) - 5.0v
4 cells (Nominal 6.0v) - 6.4 v

Energizer E2 Lithium - exp date: 2019
1 cell (Nominal 1.5v) - 2.0v
2 cells (Nominal 3.0v) - 3.9v
3 cells (Nominal 4.5v) - 5.5v
4 cells (Nominal 6.0v) - 7.4 v

As expected, the voltages are higher for the Lithium. The only non-scientific test I did was to use 2 batteries in my portable handheld fan. As expected my juiced up motor of WD40 and Progold spun like a beast with air easily felt 6 feet away. The Lithiums ran it noticibly faster as I could hear the difference. In all, I am VERY pleased with my brief findings.

Now, is this really safe to use in my Fenix L1P?

Last edited:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
People have been using the Fenix for a while now with no major issues using lithiums. Your readings maybe just a shade high. I think the normal is about:

alkaline 1.6

Lithium 1.8

I think the descrepancy for your meter is about +.2V from nominal. Just keep that in mind for future testing if you do not recalibrate your meter.

cheers

tron3

Banned
fieldops said:
People have been using the Fenix for a while now with no major issues using lithiums. Your readings maybe just a shade high. I think the normal is about:

alkaline 1.6

Lithium 1.8

I think the descrepancy for your meter is about +.2V from nominal. Just keep that in mind for future testing if you do not recalibrate your meter.

cheers

Well, It reads zero at rest, and the battery checks out.
Let's see what others come up with.

Last edited:

tron3

Banned
I couldn't find the original thread, so I posted it here.

After testing all my discount Lithium AA, I had 2 that are dead.
Not weak dead, but DEAD. Neither was suitible for use in my L1P, no light at all.

One measured 0.25mA and instantaneouly dipped to near nothing.
The other is 25 ma does nothing.

So, instead of .68 cents each, they are 71 cents each.

$34.11 / 48 good batts.