Tired of Donut Holes

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my L5 conversion head and it's beam has the exact same type of noticeable donut hole (at all distances) as the U2 that I sent in to Surefire for repair.

I checked my L2 against a white wall and I could not see any donut hole in the beam. Am I just unlucky with the last 2 lights that I purchased?

The donut holes that I am speaking about is easily noticed even against objects other than white walls. On my U2, it was easier to notice on the lower levels but it was still easy to see on the higher levels. On my L5, it was apparent right out of the box.

I have looked at the beam shots posted on the forum of the U2 and the L5 and they all look great. I just want mine to look that good.

By the way. I took the advice of many on this site and I purchased a Fenix L1P and I am very impressed with it. Thanks to all for the great advice.

-Goatee

ront

Newly Enlightened
I have been considering an L5. I went to a local store that had 2 in stock. I lloked at the beam on both of them. One had a donut hole and the other did not.

Ron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would encourage you to purchase the one that does not have it. It has been driving me crazy. Seriously though... I am happy to hear that they can be made to not have the donut hole. After my L5 today, I was starting to wonder...

-Goatee

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the donut not disappear if you alter focus on the light, it does on my torches, as the reflector moves away / towards the luxeon...

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't mean the kind of donut holes that you eat. I don't think I will ever tire of them.

-Goatee

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
With any light that has a 5W LED try before you buy whenever possible.

My first L2 was great, I didn't know what a donut was. My second L2 had a bad donut...I tried to get Surefire to replace it with a better head, they didn't. I decided that I could not live with this specific light, (the donut was very obvious, even during normal use) the dealer I bought it from very kindly took it back.

I was lucky enough to find a dealer that was prepared to try out the L2 he had in stock for any donut problems. He told me that it showed only very slightly on white wall....I decided to buy it and he was right, the donut was very slight and acceptable for my use.

Unfortunately I understand that there is no consistency in the 5W LED performance in these lights....tis a pity for the fact that some models of these lights have a high price tag.

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
I remember a post a few months back regarding donut holes. As the thread goes i believe they talked about taking your flashlight and directing it at something other than a white wall. The thread commented that while any donut hole would show up on a white wall it would be much better to use your flashlight in a real world situation to truly decide if the donut hole matters.

My Surefire U2 has a slight donut hole when directing it at a white wall but that is not its intended purpose. I can take it and direct it down a hallway or outside across the backyard or down a darkened alley way and the flashlight is awesome.

I guess my point is don't get so hung up on the donut hole thing. It is what it is. And i guess its up to everyone to determine if its really that bothersome.

:sleepy:

Flashlight Enthusiast
iNDiGLO,

The donut hole on my U2 was visible at 25 feet directed at objects outside. Is this the case with yours?

-Goatee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just finished looking at the beam of my L5 against a wall and interestingly enough, from about 12" to 18" from the wall, the hot spot is perfectly focused. When I move the light away from the wall, the donut hole appears.

Additionally, when I move the light closer to the wall than 12", the hole in the center of the hot spot re-appears.

It looks like the light is focused perfectly at 12" to 18".

I am hung up on this... I guess it is because I am a true believer in the value of perfectly focused lights with no rings or dark spots courtesy of the Surefire website.

-Goatee

planex

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately it seems like Lux V lights have inherent problems with donut holes to some degree as well as a fairly short life-span, around 500 hours.

I am hoping surefire releases current and new model lights that use the Lux V with the new K2's. Although I don't know if they will be flood type lights or not.