Pics of the New Inova XO (with reflector)

widget

Newly Enlightened
Isn't the reflector better than the TIROS since the TIROS only produces a spotlight with little spill?

ront

Newly Enlightened
I really wonder how the throw of the new XO2 will compare with the XO? I am very near to buying a Surefire L5, but I am just wondering how the XO2 would compare with it. I have a XO3 and last night compared it to the L5. I think the XO3 had more throw, but the L5 had MUCH better flood as well as good throw. The L5 just plain had a better beam.

Ron

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm sure I'll pick one up to check out, but I must say I'm kinda disappointed that the bezel end now looks like that of the X03 rather than the straight lines of the X0. I know this is probably to allow a larger diameter reflector, but in my opinion, the X03 and T3 is too bulky overall to carry in a pocket.

For a light in this class, I'd definately trade some throw for a larger hotspot and a spillbeam and I think that should be achievable with a more narrow reflector than the X02 seems to have.

ront

Newly Enlightened
The XO2 will be shorter though than the XO3. Also I am not sure that the diameter of the head of the XO2 will be a bit smaller than on the XO3. Take a look at this link and see what you think.
http://www.pocketlights.com/blog/2006/02/day-2-from-2006-shot-show.html

I don't think the size looks real bad. But untill I hold it in my hand and try to put it in my pocket, I sure could not say for sure.

Ron

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmm... well, that might not be too bad then...

Thanks for the link/pic.

ront

Newly Enlightened
That is what I am thinking. I am really looking forward to seeing one! I still wonder how it will compare with the L5.

Ron

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, just guessing of course since I haven't seen the X02, but there's no way it will be as bright as the L5. I'd expect it to have comparable throw though if not a bit more.

widget

Newly Enlightened
Will there be a T series equivalent to the new Inova XO (with reflector)?

I like the HA3 & clickie on the T series but prefer the flat sides on the body of the X series.

Ikonomi

Enlightened
I am seriously considering picking up one of these when they come out. I love Inovas, but until now they've all had something besides a reflector: lenses, optics, unpolished cones.

But this new XO looks very, very cool. Of course, they should call it the XR. The "O" in XO stands for "Optics".

The new X1 looks good, too.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
widget said:
Will there be a T series equivalent to the new Inova XO (with reflector)?

I like the HA3 & clickie on the T series but prefer the flat sides on the body of the X series.

As a point of clarification, I'm not entirely unsure that the X0/X03 aren't HA (Type III) coated. They seem to take an awful lot of pocket carry with very minimal signs of wear.

I know the tactical vs clickie issue will come down to personal preference but before the T series was out, I wanted clickies on the X series. My first T series was a T2, then a T3. Both of them have clickies that are slightly more difficult to engage than I find ideal. Not as hard as the Brinkmann Legend, but too difficult for my reasonably strong hands to turn off and on 50 times in quick succession.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
As a point of clarification, I'm not entirely unsure that the X0/X03 aren't HA (Type III) coated. They seem to take an awful lot of pocket carry with very minimal signs of wear.

Although it is a very durable finish and some of their press releases have said their lights are hard anodized, no Inova flashlights have ever been Type III hard anodized except the limited run of X5's that CountyComm had done. I've personally done a scratch test with a sharp knife on a standard black X5 and a CountyComm HA X5, the finish scraped off with the black X5, and it didn't leave a mark on the CC HA X5. I now have a black X5 with scratches on it :(

-Keith

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
A little OT...

cratz2 said:
Both of them have clickies that are slightly more difficult to engage than I find ideal. Not as hard as the Brinkmann Legend, but too difficult for my reasonably strong hands to turn off and on 50 times in quick succession.

My Brinkmann Legend had a perfect switch, was it common that some were really hard? I had never heard that before or was mine a different version? It was a momentary forward clickie with rotary lockout. I still have it as a back-up to my G2Z combat light.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: A little OT...

RebelXTNC said:
My Brinkmann Legend had a perfect switch, was it common that some were really hard? I had never heard that before or was mine a different version? It was a momentary forward clickie with rotary lockout. I still have it as a back-up to my G2Z combat light.

In general, I preferred the more diffused beam pattern of the Legend to that of the G2, but all three of my Legends had very difficult to press tailcaps. But they were all bought at the same Walmart over the period of a couple months so they were quite possibly from the same production run.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
NeonLights said:
Although it is a very durable finish and some of their press releases have said their lights are hard anodized, no Inova flashlights have ever been Type III hard anodized except the limited run of X5's that CountyComm had done. I've personally done a scratch test with a sharp knife on a standard black X5 and a CountyComm HA X5, the finish scraped off with the black X5, and it didn't leave a mark on the CC HA X5. I now have a black X5 with scratches on it :(

-Keith

That is possible... entirely possible... But my original X1 is black and I've carried it probably over 100 days and it still looks 99% as good as it did the day I got it. It's actually stood up quite a bit better than my first Fenix L1P's HA finish though I know the quality of those has been questioned quite a bit.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
That is possible... entirely possible... But my original X1 is black and I've carried it probably over 100 days and it still looks 99% as good as it did the day I got it. It's actually stood up quite a bit better than my first Fenix L1P's HA finish though I know the quality of those has been questioned quite a bit.
It is a very tough finish. All of my black Inova "X" lights are virtually blemish free, except where I scratched my X5 with a knife. Tougher than most standard anodizing from what I've seen.

-Keith

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
NeonLights said:
... Although it is a very durable finish and some of their press releases have said their lights are hard anodized, no Inova flashlights have ever been Type III hard anodized except the limited run of X5's that CountyComm had done...

Inova's web page data sheets for the X1 and X5 claim "Precision-machined aircraft aluminum body with military-grade, Type III anodizing."

Are you saying Inova's claim is incorrect?

Ikonomi

Enlightened
Well, I just tested a few lights (Inova XO3, CountyComm HA X5, X1, River Rock 2AAA, Minimag 2AA) with a sharp knife. I was, of course, able to scratch through the finish on the River Rock and the Minimag, taking a nice curl of aluminum out in the latter test.

Surprisingly to me, I was also able to scratch through the coating on the X1. The HA X5 and the XO3, however, proved impossible to scratch. Maybe my knife is not sharp enough, but it seems to me that the XO3 is indeed type III anodized. I guess the X1 is not, or has an inferior application, at least.