Thoughts on Surefires L2 Lumamax

CLHC

Flashaholic
Yes I have no regrets whatsoever with my SureFire L2. Two-stage lighting, slim profile (albeit a bit elongated) and BRIGHT and white wall of light on high, which is what I prefer for my uses, short to medium range. More than enough light still, even on low. Besides, AW sells rechargeable batteries for this model which is found in the Dealers section of this forum.

Enjoy!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own an L2 and I like it. I also own an A2 and like it more.

But that's just a matter of personal taste.

My complaints about the L2 would be that it doesn't throw well, and that it is a bit too bright on low. Also it's significantly longer than the E2e and A2.

However, it is dang bright on high, has a beautiful flood type beam that is great for working indoors and at close range, and has the same lovely switching that the A2 and L1 have--which just can't be beat. I love that switch.

You can't go wrong with an L2, especially if you like LED's.

magic79

Enlightened
I have an L2 and it is my bedstand "bump in the night" light.

The L2 is not a superior thrower, but it isn't designed to be. It puts out a "wall of light" with a great deal of light in the side spill. That's why I like it for use investigating noises in the house: you aren't just looking for a tiny spot; instead, it covers the whole room or hallway in bright, white light. The 100 lumens is spread across a wide beam, so it doesn't appear as bright as some 65 lumen spots, such as the L4.

To me, the two brightness levels make it more useful than single stage lights I have, such as the L4.

It's the last Surefire I would ever get rid of.

As noted, it's a bit longer than other lights, but it still fits in my pocket if I want to carry it.

Last edited:

jonman007

Newly Enlightened
The L2 is great in all respects, as long as you are happy with a very bright flood with very poor throw. I would prefer a bit more throw because I find a flood beam isn't too useful outdoors.

frisco

Enlightened
I like the L2 allot. I find that most times the flood beam can assist many people at one time more so than a narrow pointy beam.

Situations I've found the L2 broad beam useful:

- Trick or Treating with kids. Lighting up larger areas for the kids to see. Momentary tail cap to flash on coming cars. Low power level lasts along time.

- Night time road repair on motorcycle. Very pleasent softer broad light is easier to work under than super bright hot spot.

- Making adjustments to cameras and other equipment while on location with film crews.

- Guy I work with used his L2 to assist his daughters Gymnastics team to saftey during a power outage two nights ago in a Gymnasium. (Proud L2 parent story)

I'm not saying at all that there is not a need for a throw monster (I have thoughs too)... but for me I would say the L2 would cover most my needs. If all heck broke loose and I had to take only one of my lights... it would be the L2. Keep in mind that I do not own a U2 (yet)

The bottom line is that you really can't go wrong with the L2 and it is not the only type of light you should own.(you should know that by now reading through this forum!)

frisco

Luxman

Enlightened
I like the L2 a lot... got one for my wife. Very Nice general purpose light with excellent compromise between throw and flood. The two brightness levels make it a very versatile light.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
I like the L2 and think it is an excellent Light.

I almost ended up buying one a while back. Reason being that I got an L4, due to wanting a smaller body, with less Light on low.

However, the L2 is regulated and no question an incredible Light.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned the Surefire L1, L2, and A2 flashlights, and after careful consideration, I sold the L2 and kept the A2 and L1. The L2 was longer than the others making it even more awkward for pocket carry, and I found the combination of the light output and beam pattern on the A2 and L1 to be much more useful for me than the L2. Its a good light, it just wasn't right for me.

-Keith

ScottyJ

Enlightened
I have an L2 and it is a great light. The high beam floods a huge area. It used to be my EDC until I bought an HDS. There is nothing I don't like about the L2, the HDS is simply a bit more pocket carry friendly.

ScottyJ

Enlightened
I have an L2 and it is a great light. The high beam floods a huge area. It used to be my EDC until I bought an HDS. There is nothing I don't like about the L2, the HDS is simply a bit more pocket carry friendly.

Luna

Enlightened
I've neglected my L2 by putting it into briefcase duty. Now that I have som of AW's cells for it, that might change.

When it comes to posket duty, I like the E1L with RCR123. I might put a FluPIC in it or jacket the current of the stock board up. If I do the latter, a Mc2es will find its way onto the body.

MrBadger

Newly Enlightened
There's a lot of good comments here to give you a feel for the L2, but you really need to evaluate YOUR reasons for wanting to own this light. It's probably not the best light at any of the things it does, but it does do a lot of things well. It's sort of a jack of all trades, master of none.

I think it's probably one of the best all around lights to be had, especialy for the price. And now that I have AW's rechargable cells for it and OregonShooter's new tail cap bezel, I don't think I could do any better with just one light.

I currently EDC my L2 either in my day bag, or in my pocket, but it's with me one way or another about 95% of the time. In my bag I also have a SF G2 with the P61 and primaries if I need some throw, but I rarely use it.

I do like the size of the L4, but I'd have to see them side by side to see if it matches the high beam on the L2. If you add the two stage tail cap (Mc2es?) you might come out with something pretty close in a smaller package. Anyone have both that can comment?

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have given thought to the L2, but when they first came out there were reports of a high pitch electronic whine emitting from the light. Can anyone comment on this?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are in a very, very quiet room you can hear a faint whine. It does not indicate a problem, just a natural behavior of the light. Some find it annoying, most do not. I think most who find it annoying at first eventually don't notice it. Normally you have to hold the light within a foot of your ear to hear it.

Scott

CLHC

Flashaholic
Exactly what Beezaur said! Inches away from your ear or in "dead" silence environment.

SCblur

Enlightened
The L2 was the first real light I bought. Before my L2, the only thing I knew of good lights was a nice Mag. Therefore, I will always have a special place in my heart for the L2. That being said, I sold mine in favor of an A2 (I'm a hypocrite, I know). I'm a pilot, and my L2 was frankly too bright, even on low, for the cockpit. I love my A2, but I find myself missing my L2 at times. The wall-of-light the L2 is famous for is beyond words. you must see it to believe it. It does in fact let out a small whine on low. Not normally noticeable. The only time it ever bothered me was when I tried to use the L2 to read by, when it was quiet. Otherwise, not an issue.

If you don't need throw, and you want a TON of light, you will love the L2. I've decided to recreate my L2 by getting a KL4 head for my E2e body and a 2 stage tailcap.

Good luck in your search, and let us know if you decide to get one.

Josh