The best of 1 cell 123 battery led light with 2 stages

thenorthlight

Newly Enlightened
I would like to get your ideas on a single cell led light with 2 stages.Which best?
Thanks for your help.
thanks.gif

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about 1 cell, with 4 or more stages? Try looking at the HDS lights. Surefire L1 and McluxPD are 2 stages single CR123 cell lights
By the way welcome to CPF

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
Surefire L1 -One of the best single cell lights for
THROW - flashlightreviews.com - 38.31 !
Two stage tail cap switch with a run time of
1 hr. 58 minutes on high. From what I've read it
can go for more than 70 hours on low. Small
enough to easly fit in the pocket for EDC.
Type III anodize coating for durability. Pyrex lens
system. This light has excellent throw and is
tough as a brick poop house and can be had for
less that $ 100.00.
Love mine and use it as an EDC for on the job. :thumbsup:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, in my opinion, the L1 is simply too long for a single cell light. I know they have large numbers of fans, but I want a single cell light that is the length of a single cell light. Also, though this will be open to personal opinion, MY opinion is that the low level of the L1 is too low for all but the darkest adapted eyes. I'd want it to be about three times as bright. However, I also take exception to the levels of the L2 (the low is a bit too high an the high has too short of runtime) so I just think my needs are different than those of the expected Surefire L1 and L2 buyers.

For cheaper lights, I had a 2 stage Nuwai Q3 with a TW0J. When run with am R123 cell, the bright was very bright and the low bordered on too bright for a low setting. I forget what resistor it had, but if it was about doubled for a lower low and extended runtime on low, it would be an excellent light for the price. I think I sold it for under $50.

As far as the best 1x123 light with at least two stages, the PD would surely be at the top of many lists. The HDS lights are a very worthy opinion as well as the 42 lumen models can be had for as low as $120 if memory serves.

CLHC

Flashaholic
The McLux.III.PD! or the Aleph from The Sandwich Shoppe! These two are the ideal EDC in hand and pocket as opposed to the "short and stubby" HDS!

Sturluson

Enlightened
The McLux III PD is the cream of the crop. Simple, elegant, and extemely useful. The low is perfect for most situations and lasts hours on a single cell, primary or rechargeable. High is probably around 55-60 lumens, lasts for 90 minutes, and is a good thrower with a very useful spill - best reflector out there.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
In terms of some of the best 1-cell, small EDC lights, check these out:

1. McLux III-PD. An excellent all-rounder with 2 stages. It has two-stage momentary and two stage twist-head. Smooth beam. Not a throw monster, but definately plenty of lumens (approximately 55 lumens is my guess). Relatively expensive though, but you do get what you pay for.

2. HDS EDC lights. The "ultimate" series have 20 levels of light to choose from. Programmable four modes of light: Maximum, Primary, Secondary and Minimum. Some of these modes require a few clicks to get to. Also can be setup as a pure momentary-mode light. This light has many other options. I have the Ultimate 60 XRGT. This light throws a little better than McLux III-PD and has slightly more output. Some can say that the light is too complicated to use but I don't think so...... really, its not rocket science. Can be cheap I guess. You can buy a new Basic 42 for $95 (includes shipping). The U60XRGT goes for $171 shipped. This light is pretty much the same size as the McLux III-PD.

3. ORB RAW Ns. You want powerful lumens in the smallest package? Look no further. This little puppy measures 45mm x 18mm. The casing is made out of nickel silver.....Beautiful work of art. Two stages with plenty of power on high with a TWAJ 3-watt led. Not super expensive (all relative). Can be had for $55 (in pound sterling) which includes the rechargeable battery and charger. Shipping extra. Perhaps too small?

EDIT: :oops: I just realized that you were looking for a 123 cell light. The RAW Ns takes 14250 cells which are CR2 size. That's the only way to get the light down to that size, I guess.

4. Everything else that I owned and tried: Amilite Neo T3 (very nice), Peak Ranier (also very nice). These ones are the cheapest of them all but only have one stage. Both very bright. The Ranier has great throw.

EDIT: :wave: Also check out the GATLIGHT. Never tried it, but it looks interesting. A bit expensive, but definately unique.

Good luck on your search. There are plenty to choose from.

:thumbsup: WP

Last edited:

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
CHC....HDS short and stubby? :laughing: . It's pretty much the same length as the PD. Although, I have to admit that the PD feels better in my hands..... Also has a way...way better clip.

WP

CHC said:
The McLux.III.PD! or the Aleph from The Sandwich Shoppe! These two are the ideal EDC in hand and pocket as opposed to the "short and stubby" HDS!

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
WAVE_PARTICLE said:
In terms of some of the best 1-cell, small EDC lights, check these out:

1. McLux III-PD. An excellent all-rounder with 2 stages. It has two-stage momentary and two stage twist-head. Smooth beam. Not a throw monster, but definately plenty of lumens (approximately 55 lumens is my guess). Relatively expensive though, but you do get what you pay for.

2. HDS EDC lights. The "ultimate" series have 20 levels of light to choose from. Programmable four modes of light: Maximum, Primary, Secondary and Minimum. Some of these modes require a few clicks to get to. Also can be setup as a pure momentary-mode light. This light has many other options. I have the Ultimate 60 XRGT. This light throws a little better than McLux III-PD and has slightly more output. Some can say that the light is too complicated to use but I don't think so...... really, its not rocket science. Can be cheap I guess. You can buy a new Basic 42 for $95 (includes shipping). The U60XRGT goes for $171 shipped. This light is pretty much the same size as the McLux III-PD.

3. ORB RAW Ns. You want powerful lumens in the smallest package? Look no further. This little puppy measures 45mm x 18mm. The casing is made out of nickel silver.....Beautiful work of art. Two stages with plenty of power on high with a TWAJ 3-watt led. Not super expensive (all relative). Can be had for $55 (in pound sterling) which includes the rechargeable battery and charger. Shipping extra. Perhaps too small?

EDIT: :oops: I just realized that you were looking for a 123 cell light. The RAW Ns takes 14250 cells which are CR2 size. That's the only way to get the light down to that size, I guess.

4. Everything else that I owned and tried: Amilite Neo T3 (very nice), Peak Ranier (also very nice). These ones are the cheapest of them all but only have one stage. Both very bright. The Ranier has great throw.

EDIT: :wave: Also check out the GATLIGHT. Never tried it, but it looks interesting. A bit expensive, but definately unique.

Good luck on your search. There are plenty to choose from.

:thumbsup: WP

I got my HDS U60XRGT about 2 months ago and got my wife a B42 at the same time. Both are great lights but WHERE did you get them for those prices???? They seem to have come down about $30 on the U60 XRGT but Im still seeing them over $200.

redone

Newly Enlightened
Does the McLux IIIPD have better throw than Surefire L1? How about durability, and where can you buy the McLux? Thank you

CLHC

Flashaholic
For the McLux PD, look under the McGizmo forum. And there's also one for sale right now in the B/S/T-Lights forum.

Enjoy!

Hello there WAVE_PARTICLE!

Well, the McLux PD feels better in my hands than the HDS. That's all! Then again, Your Methods May Vary accordingly. . .

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
Well, in my opinion, the L1 is simply too long for a single cell light. I know they have large numbers of fans, but I want a single cell light that is the length of a single cell light.

well said... that is exacty what I think

-David

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Gadget Travel,

There was a recent price drop on most HDS product lines.... time to make room for the U85's I guess.
icon3.gif

Anyways, check out OpticsHQ for their CPF pricing. I don't think anybody can beat there prices. Free shipping to boot.
thumbsup.gif

Check 'em out at the Dealer's Corner. They have a PDF on their CPF prices.

CHC: Yeah....I'm with you..... I much prefer how the PD feels in my hands.

thumbsup.gif
WP

GadgetTravel said:
I got my HDS U60XRGT about 2 months ago and got my wife a B42 at the same time. Both are great lights but WHERE did you get them for those prices???? They seem to have come down about $30 on the U60 XRGT but Im still seeing them over $200.