Please Help, light newby here!

Englander

Newly Enlightened
Ive been directed to this forum from Knifeforums.com because as u can guess, i need advice on a light.

Ive got a wind up torch about 6 inch long, but you gotta wind the thing for 30 minutes to get 1 hour of total white top light, and then a reduced 2 hours of slightly diminished light, after that its wind up time.

So what i need is a battery torch, hand held about 6 inch long, prefere it to be light and not 2 wide, that projects light quite far (idealy a beam about a bus/coach width at a bus/coach length or even better specs if possible). Also something that doesnt cost the world to buy (idealy no more than about £30 (dunno what that is in dollars)).

Ill be using the torch for search and rescue purposes and general emergancy needs, but wouldnt mind using it a tab more all depending on the price of batteries etc. Any suggestions, even torches u reccommend that dont quite fit the specs im after are very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Craig.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hello and Welcome!

There's a lot of flashlight out there and there'll be a lot of recommendations. Maybe you can start looking at the Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon. It is very reasonable enough and besides it does have an excellent throw! In U.S. Dollars it can be had for roughly $30.00, don't know what the currency rate would be in your country, maybe £17.18?

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

iamerror

Enlightened
Maybe something like a Surefire G2 would work for you. It is about 5 inches long and weighs about 4 ounces. I imagine it would be bright enough for your needs. Would its 1 hour runtime be long enough for you? One thing though, it takes 2 123a size lithium batteries, these can be expensive at stores... you can find them a lot cheaper online.

Another flashlight that might work for you is a Streamlight 4AA Propolymer Luxeon. A lot of people here seem to like this flashlight (I do not actually own it yet). It takes 4 AA batteries and should last about 4 hours. I do not know how large it is.

Both of these flashlights are made of plastic (if you care) and will both cost around 30 US dollars or a little more.

Welcome to CPF, I hope you find a flashlight that fits your need.

Spudman

Enlightened
Welcome Englander,

I would also recommend a Surefire G2, or if you want a metal body I would recommend a Pelican M6.

Both are good performers for their price. Shop around online for good prices on the batteries though.

Gary

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Englander!

If you haven't done so, please visit theledmuseum.org and flashlightreviews.com Both sites are run by fellow CPF members and have amazing information summarized there. It sounds like you have narrowed what you'll use your light for, and how much you want to spend. Excellent first step!

I don't see your mention of battery type, which will also be a consideration. Are you willing to jump into CR123's or would rather prefer to use AA, C, or D? All that info will be available to you on the sites I mentioned. Good luck with your search.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome, you will get more information in short time than you can imagine. Do not feel overwhelmed, there are a lot of good lights for you. SPend time reading all the recommendation and then spend time reading up on the choices at the sites mentioned, both Flashlight reviews and LEd Museum, both great reference places I use constantly.

I like the Inovas, they are great lights, but also for what you are looking for the Streamlight Propoly 4AA is a great choice, one of the best in an affordable light.

Have fun with them all, they are like Lays potato chips, you cant stop at just one...

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi craig,
"search and rescue", this might need the light to work for how much hours?
And thus most of the real SAR lights (=Sure-Fires, as long as You want to pay what they cost) get kicked, or anything else using CR123s or being incandescend.

Would also vote for the Streamlight Propoly 4AA, 4 hours+ very useful and strong white LED-light. Cheap, rugged, small, good beam, cheap batteries

www.flashlightrevies.com has already been mentionned.

What lights do You know, used till now?
Ever used LED-lights (powerful ones), what do You think about this white light (some persons just dont like it)?

PS: if You used that wind-up-torch till NOW, a much better light would be a Fenix L2P, the best light in this 2AA class by now, or a Mini-maglite with a better LED-upgrade (Terralux, f.e.)
The Fenix is much stronger than anything using 2AAs You might know, offers 3 hours full power light, very sturdy and small. The Streamlights beam is much stronger (more batteries)...

Last edited:

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
Id reccomend a fenix l2p or l1p.Small good throw,AA bateryor rechargables and in budget,45 dollars,25 pounds ,or so.

carrot

Flashaholic
I have never had the chance to compare a Fenix L series with a Streamlight Propoly Lux. But I do know that the Fenix throws light pretty impressively for its size, and is a very convenient size.

Englander

Newly Enlightened
Well guys/gals, thanks very much for the input, you have given me a lot to think about!! Im thinking not CR123A bateries, they cost about £2.50 per battery over here (thats almost $5 each!!!).

The reason i want something so cheap is because i intend on taking it traveling with me, for at least a year, so as you can guess the thought of me carrying a $250 torch around with me is a little scary, along with the £500 ($750) GPS ill probably end up taking and a few other expensive guddies, ill be carrying thousands of dollars worth of kit with me, franky I think thats asking to be mugged/robbed, so im plannin on taking less espensive kit with me, but obviously i want good stuff.

I am thinking of getting a surefire for use in my country, but im going to wait until this timer runs out on the site incase sumin ace comes out before i decide to buy anything.

Again thanks for the advice and any other thoughts/considerations you might have would be welcomed.

Sincerely Craig.

carrot

Flashaholic
Online, you can order batteries for much cheaper. Amondotech and BatteryStation sells lithium 123s for $1 each, and both (I think) ship internationally.

I wouldn't worry about being mugged for a flashlight. Most people have very little idea of what quality costs... a Maglite is usually "top" quality for them.

I can't say any words about the SL 4AA Propoly Lux, but it is a pretty popular light here. As for the Fenix, I have the L1P and it throws pretty well for a light its size; I'd say it can throw a bus' length and a little more. The L2P will be a little brighter, and have longer runtime.

Englander

Newly Enlightened
I know what you mean by they wont know quality unless i shine it in the whites of their eyes, what i mean by getting mugged is, they wil mug or steal things simply because we have them (generally meaning my pack with everything i own in it), and id much rather have a $30 dollar torch stolen from me than a $250 one, even if they dont have a clue how much to sell it to their local pawn shop for lol.Although the thought of being mugged/robbed at all is not a pleasant thought, i cherish all my posessions, no matter what they cost, but its generally easier to replace a $30 torch than a $250 one and certainly less sickening lol :)

jezzyp

Enlightened
I'd echo what others have said,either

Streamlight PP Luxeon
Surefire G2
Fenix L2P

As you said AA batteries that means either the streamlight or the Fenix.
The streamlight runs on 4 AAs for about 4 hours
The Fenix runs on 2 AAs for about 2 hours
The streamlight is bigger and brighter than the Fenix.

From what you have said so far I think the Fenix L2P is the one for you

The danger is on here you start looking for ONE decent light, get hooked and start buying them all - be warned...

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Englander, welcome to CPF!

I EDC a Streamlight PP Lux AA, and while it's a fantastic light for the price, I think you'll be disappointed if you buy it. It will certainly throw as far as you want it to, but I think the size of the hotspot at that distance will disappoint you. Like others, I suggest the Surefire G2.

Cheers! :buddies: