Inova X1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luminosus

Newly Enlightened
Before I pony up the money this summer and get an M6 I want to get a low priced, reliable LED that runs on easy to find batteries (sort of for a BOB). At first I thought the Arc AAA-P would be perfect, but then I heard of it failing some (this seems wierd since it is so highly regarded). So, I went looking at some other brands and came across the X1 for only $15. This is a lot better price (especially since I'll probably be spending $400 for one light this summer), but how does it compare to the Arc? Or, what other cheap, reliable LED that takes AAA or AA (maybe even C or D if I really like it)would you recommend for my mentioned purpose? Thanks.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new X1s are definately a bit brighter than the ARC AAA. And should have longer runtime... of course they are a bit larger and though the Inova is well built, I'd imagine very few lights would stand up to quite the abuse ad misuse the ARC will.

Having said that, I've long loved the form factor of the X1 and the new X1 with the reflector is one of my favorite lights to come along in a LONG time.

Luminosus

Newly Enlightened
I just saw in the Target X1 thread that there is going to be an Arc AA coming out. When will this happen? I think I will check the Targets near my house to see if they have any new X1's. Thanks.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't stayed caught up with the new ARC, but there is an ARC forum you might want to check out. Owner posts there frequently.

Luminosus

Newly Enlightened
Aw man, looking at the Arc story thread in the Arc forum has really got me confused. I think that I'll have to get both the Arc AAA and the X1. How terrible :)

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted about the Arc AA coming out. I'm not sure what the calendar has in store for us regarding this light. Originally, Peter Gransee stated the light would be out around Christmas, 2005. Obviously, that didn't happen and it seems that the production delays with just the AAA lights are keeping him from rolling out new products, although I'm sure he's got some excellent designs in the works. Hopefully, the updated Arc AA will still become a reality.

That said, as I stated in the X1 thread, the new X1 is here now, and it definitely gives all other 5mm single AA lights a run for their money. First off, it uses the same LED (Nichia CS, same as the AAA-P) the Arc AA would have been using, so it is quite bright for a single 5mm light- my guess is around 7-9 lumens.

Second, the build quality is, shall we say, "more refined" than the competing Gerber line or even the Fenix- I'd venture to say that even though the Inova is longer, it is more or less on par with Arc and Peak offerings. The finish is beautiful (especially the "titanium" IMO) and there are the usual Inova niceties like a stainless steel bezel and real glass protecting the LED. The only "weak" point could be the momentary switch, which could theoretically be a source for water intake, but it is nice to have momentary as an option as opposed to twist only.

Given that you get all this in a $20 package that you can get from any number of Target stores around the country, as opposed to paying 50+ and having a product shipped to you (or waiting for a product that doesn't exist yet), there is good reason the new X1 is garnering some attention. I am familiar with some of Inova's "Mag-like" legal practices, and I do prefer to support dedicated smaller companies like Peak and Arc, but I am certainly impressed with what is being offered for the price.

I'd say if you were going to try to get an X1 online to save a few bucks, you better make sure you are getting the new reflectored version as its usability is leauges beyond the older version. As the product codes are the same for both versions, I'd consider just going into a store and spending the extra $5 to make sure you are getting what you are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.