Some Gladius Qns

alvdll

Newly Enlightened
Before I jump the gun to spend my money on the Gladius I would like to know are all the new versions of ALL COLORS are HA3 or only the Black and OD ones are HA3? I have never of HA3 offered in Khaki and Grey color. I do know that the 1st batch of Glaudius are ceranics but I dun want the ceramics version and only would pick the HA3 ones. I am getting either the grey or khaki desert and am afraid that i may end up with a ceramic Gladius, that would be boo-boo :rant: TIA for your help. HELP HELP!

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the gray and tan ones are still ceramic. Not sure about green, but black is HAIII.

If I were you I'd hold off a month or so. They just fixed the tailcap, and the new design is not in circulation yet. I was bit by this last week, had the "issues" and had to send the light back.

Scott

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened
My understanding is that black will shift to HA, while the colors will ALL remain ceramic coating. A very good coating BTW. But, like all coatings, it is susceptible to wear and tear. Even the Boron Carbide on my Kershaw Black Chive has some wear marks. And it is WAY harder and better bonded than the CeraCoat on the Gladii.

alvdll

Newly Enlightened
thanks Scott for the tips, hey! were there issues with the tailcap? I am not aware, what were they?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
There has been an infrequent problem due to some kind of internal tolerance problems where the light can go into intermittent activation.

My Gladius arrived the other day, so of course I was playing with it, using a set of batteries for familiarization with the switch. (Refamiliarization actually -- I had one before and returned it.) Someone came to the door, causing our pug dog to go berzerk. So I strobed her to get her to stop barking. I got about two strobes and nothing. Plan B: squirt gun. Back to the light. Punched the button again, nothing. Switched to constant on, nothing. Switched to momentary, got light. Variations on this will hapen when the tailcap is not on just right. It is repeatable, but it is not a frequent problem. I would say 1 out of every few hundred activations or less, and this with lights that have the problem. Not many do.

What happens is that there is some kind of glitchy contact (or something) on some lights that happens sometimes. You can lose light during activation, but there is an easy fix: remove and replace the tailcap. This causes the electronics to "reboot" and the light returns to normal activation.

The first light I had (a gray one) was returned for a fluke tailcap that leaked, but it too was intermittent. I lost confidence in the design and decided to wait until the tailcap was redesigned. I read in the Manufacturer's Corner on CPF that the cap issue had been fixed, so promptly ordered another one from Night-Ops ($206, not bad). Wouldn't you know it though, I purchased too early. The new, redesigned caps are not in wide circulation yet. So I await a fixed light as I type this.

Another thing to be aware of is that the tailcap can rattle. Some caps sound like there is a BB loose inside. The one I just sent back had a horrible rattle in constant on mode, nearly went back just for that. The old gray one just barely had a rattle.

The gray one's finish was ok, but not real durable. I would say it was about like regular black anodizing. I had it clipped to the front of my bunker coat for exactly 1 structure fire. It wasn't knocked around that bad, but did get some bare spots. A gray light with patches of aluminum doesn't look that bad, by the way.

So that's the long version.

It is a great light, just a glitch with the original tailcap design in a few lights.

Scott

alvdll

Newly Enlightened
I try searching the Blackhawk websites regarding the Black Gladius and I was not able to find any statement from the maker saying the Black Gladius is now HA3. I also heard (rumours???) that Gladius bearing a specific range of serial numbers are HA3, anyone hear about these? I read from another thread, someone mentioned that those Black ones bearing serial number > #5000 are HA3, however, today I borrow one from a friend, his is a Black one bearing #17xxx (couldn't remember the exact) and I really dun think his is a HA3, it felt like ceramics... :thinking:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
The black one I got last week was HAIII, but wasn't smooth like SureFire or other black HAIII lights. I don't know just exactly how they finish the light, but apparently that is indeed HAIII. It is matte and rough, almost like Parkerizing.

Scott

P.S. It is very grippy and not at all reflective. A very nice finish for a tactical light, IMO.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I can confirm that Ken Good posted that any 'black' Gladius made after No. 5000 would be in HA111. All other colours are ceramic.

Some tailcaps have had a manufacturing problem where the tailcap has caused a malfunction. This is not widespread and those tailcaps which are faulty will be replaced at Blackhawks cost. The 'issue' of the Gladius tailcap breaking if dropped directly onto its tail end whilst in lockout mode is still (AFAIK) being worked on. However, it appears to be so infrequent an issue that it maybe that it doesn't warrant the cost or time to rectify and will be dealt with under warranty?

Compared to the various problems reported by users of the U2 the Gladius is having relatively few issues which need addressing. *Before I'm flamed this doesn't mean I'm anti U2 or Surefire*

Although there have been few comments specifically about how good or bad the HA111 is holding up on Gladius's it appears to have had little negative feedback on CPF suggesting it wears better than ceramic versions?

A few folks have reported a dislike of the way that the reflectors are fitted into the bezels of Gladius's with some commenting about a deformed reflector base beeing seen. My Gladius isn't 100% perfect in this regard and at distances of less than a few feet on a white wall the distortion that this causes is visable. However, In use this is not of any significance and the beam is uniform and with an excellent colour balance.

I confess to being a fan of the Gladius and would happily buy another if required. The engineering and functionality of this light is on par with the very best manufacturers out there and whilst not perhaps up to the aesthetic or superlative finish of some Surefires is excellent.

I thoroughly recommend this light to you and believe you will not be disappointed with your purchase.

Doug