anyone gone to recent autoshow?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone gone to recent autoshow? What do you think of the new camry 2007? I think it is a great car for the money. It has 268hp and runs quietly as a church mouse.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't been to a autoshow since 2003. Though I haven't even sat in the new 2007 Camry, it should be a good car. The outgoing model is pretty outstanding in my opinion unless you value driver involvement.

The Camry and Accord are both about the best values you can get in the segment.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
thats a lot a pnies for a toyota what size is the motor?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie33 said:
thats a lot a pnies for a toyota what size is the motor?

the new camry has V6 engine from the avalon. I saw it at the Canadian autoshow. it looks very elegant. It isn't a buick at all. It has plenty of low end torque according to newcardriver.com test.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the new Camry at the NAIAS in Detroit in January. I'm not terribly crazy about the styling of the new Camry, but it certainly isn't as bland and pedestrian as the outgoing model, and you can't argue with the specs on the car, especially for about the same money as the old one.

It looks like Toyota is starting to use that Avalon engine in several different vehicles. In addition to the new Camry, the new RAV4 is available with that V6, we're considering getting one next year (the RAV4).

-Keith

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
I think Toyota did a great job interpreting the previous Monte Carlo styling in their new Camry.

Not as plain as before, but stying isn't generally a reason for getting one.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, though pretty much all current Toyotas are more attractive, in my opinion, than they were 5-10 years ago, Toyotas design goal for external styling has long been to offend as few people as possible without any specific goals as far as actually pleasing anyone.

The thing to keep in mind with Camrys, Accords and Civics is the resale value. I mean, if you tend to buy a car and keep it for 15 years, then the resale value isn't as important as reliability (which the Camry also has), but if you plan to only keep it for 3-5 years, the Camry, Accord and Civic have absolutely OUTSTANDING resale value. I had my 1999 Civic Si for 39 months and it dropped from $17,200 to $15,800. That's about 8% in three years. Compare this to Ford Tauruses which regularly (if you know where to look to not get ripped) sold brand new for $9,995 for a car with a sticker price of $22,000.

Not sure how the new Ford 500 will turn out (though I doubt it will be a huge improvement over the Taurus in terms of resale value.

Same thing with the Kias and Hyundais. I mean, when they were half the cost of a Civic, it made some sense for those on a super tight budget, but now that the Spectra is only maybe $2,000 less than the Civic, but drops 60% or 70% in a year, that $2,000 more for the Civic makes LOTS of sense.