SureFire QC...

JonL

Newly Enlightened
Guys,

Any of you have the SureFire LED heads that are permanently sealed? Like the KL1? I have this head and it is full of debris (dust)... Is this normal for a SureFire?

Man, this E2L is my first SureFire flashlight and I'm already freakin' depressed...
frown.gif

SCblur

Enlightened
I have a KL1 that I recently bought, and it is perfectly clean. I have also bought an E2e, A2, G2, and L2, all without issue except the A2, I got a bad bulb with that one, and they sent me a new one pronto. If I were you, I'd call SF customer service. One of the things you get, when you pay the Surefire premium price, is amazing customer service. I'll bet if you tell them you're disappointed with debris in your KL1, they would be happy to exchange it for you. I have always found them more than happy to accommodate me on such requests.

Bottom line, if you've paid for a surefire, you shouldn't be depressed about it. Call them, and my bet is they'll want to fix it for you.

If you do call them, let us know how it goes.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing is permanently sealed ;)

Really, though, I'd think there's got to be a way to clean that out..

JonL

Newly Enlightened
Guys,

Just contacted SureFire and got the RMA number... So far, I would have to give the customer service an A+...

I'll keep you updated.

smile.gif

Perel

Newly Enlightened
SCblur said:
all without issue except the A2, I got a bad bulb with that one, and they sent me a new one pronto.
How long did that take? I've been waiting three weeks for my replacement bulb..

SCblur

Enlightened
Just short of two weeks to get my replacement. Quick compared to what I've heard from others. I had an E2e that held me over, so the time flew by quicker :)

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'll jump on this "SureFire QC is SH**" bandwagon, especially after my most recent purchase. I really hope SF doesn't sell to our troups. I hate to think how many injuries or deaths have occurred of a soldier reaching for his newly acquired SF light, only to have it fail when he/she needed it the most.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hopefully SureFire's quality standards are the same for whomever it's built for, whether the general populous or military or otherwise. I've read in a couple of their catalogs that they "drop everything" to accomodate the requests for the military and go to work on it immediately to assure that it doesn't fail them while on duty and that it works 100 percent. With that in mind, I'm wondering the if they do the same for non-military personel. Then again, hearing about the "issues" others are experiencing with their said SureFires as posted here on CPF—makes me wonder about purchasing some particular models.

Enjoy!

Longbow

Enlightened
Two months ago I bought a new HA clickie tailcap that wouldn't work right out of the box. I lost a tiny spring trying to fix it, so I threw it away. Recently when I bought my KL3 from a local dealer, out of three heads that I inspected at the counter, only one was dust free under the lens. Buyer beware I guess.

JonL

Newly Enlightened
Longbow said:
Recently when I bought my KL3 from a local dealer, out of three heads that I inspected at the counter, only one was dust free under the lens. Buyer beware I guess.

This is the exact same problem that I have. The KL1 head on my E2L is full of dust. To me, this isn't acceptable. I don't care what anybody says, I paid a lot of money for this light and I want it to be perfect.

And when the side of the box says "THE WORLD'S FINEST ILLUMINATION TOOLS", that's what I want. That's why I bought this light, because I've read so many great things about SureFire.

This is the reason why I asked about the other KL heads, if they can be opened. I mean, I'll clean the head myself, to my standards if I have to, if that is what it takes. Just make the thing accessible so I can finish the job.

carrot

Flashaholic
JonL said:
This is the exact same problem that I have. The KL1 head on my E2L is full of dust. To me, this isn't acceptable. I don't care what anybody says, I paid a lot of money for this light and I want it to be perfect.

And when the side of the box says "THE WORLD'S FINEST ILLUMINATION TOOLS", that's what I want. That's why I bought this light, because I've read so many great things about SureFire.

This is the reason why I asked about the other KL heads, if they can be opened. I mean, I'll clean the head myself, to my standards if I have to, if that is what it takes. Just make the thing accessible so I can finish the job.

I have the Surefire G2 and A2. Both are perfect. I think Surefire QC is much better with incandescent than LED. Give 'em a little longer with LEDs and I'm sure QC on their LED lights will be just as good.

As for opening up the bezel, quite a few members have managed to open them up -- the two that come to mind at the moment are JasonC8301 and Chop. They just twist open, but the threads might be Loctited, requiring boiling or a heat gun to break the Loc-tite.

This post might be of help... https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1258375&postcount=23

firefly99

Enlightened
JonL said:

It is amazing Surefire, the manufacturer of "THE WORLD'S FINEST ILLUMINATION TOOLS", still leave finger print or dust inside the bezel.
They should have inspect for dust and remove if any, before sealing their bezel.
Why they are not wearing gloves during the final assembly process of their flashlight ?
If they had done it right the 1st time, there will be more customer satisfaction.

JonL

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

Got my E2L back from SureFire...

I would have to say that it is much cleaner inside than before, but it's not pristine. Also, there is a mark that I didn't see before, but it's not very noticeable...

Anyway...

smile.gif

JimmyB

Enlightened
I read the other day that something like 60% of the household dust you see in the air is from dried, dead, skin cells. So when Surefire says they put themselves into every light they manufacture, I guess they're not kidding.
drool.gif

JimmyB

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
JimmyB said:
I read the other day that something like 60% of the household dust you see in the air is from dried, dead, skin cells. So when Surefire says they put themselves into every light they manufacture, I guess they're not kidding.
drool.gif

JimmyB

I guess I never thought of it that way!! LMAO!

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Melted the lens on your plastic surefire? Call them up and they'll send you a lens kit. You gotta knock out the old lens, and using a vise, snap in the new one. 5 minute job

whorton5

Newly Enlightened
I just recently purchased my L4, L7, and G2. L4 = flawless. G2=flawless

L7 had the body of an 8AX Commander, but with a KL7 head. It worked fine and was brighter than sin, but I asked if they had just run out of bodies and they said "Oops, we goofed." UPS showed up 3 dyas later to pick it up. Gonna send me a new one. I thought about living with it, but for that much moolah...at least wanted one that said L7 on it. :grin2:

Bottomline: I love their CS policies and their lifetime-warrantied, eye-searing lights, but their QC on products does need some work. I'll be back to buy a U2 or Kroma when my wallet recovers this Summer. :)