LionCub info!

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey! I got my first Mr. Bulk light! It's 99/100 HA3 natural with a Ubin. I'm surprised at how light it is. LOL (no pun intended) It weighs like, a feather and it's small too.

So I was taking LUX readings and was also surprised at the low reading of 1400 LUX on the first try. Then I took out the reflector and popped in a 20mm reflector from a magmod. Holly crap! 1100 LUX at 1m, I never realized how much a good reflector makes a big difference. So then I took out the 20mm from my Aleph2 and tried that. Aha! 1800 LUX, that's more like it. I was hoping for 2000 LUX which is what my RAW Ubin posted with a smaller but high quality reflector.

Any tips on getting 2000 LUX out of the LC?

Does it make a difference which side of the lense faces the LED? (I could swear it made a difference when I flipped it over tonight but I'm in disbelief)

Also surprised to watch the LUX reading dropping like a rock. I'd say the 1800 LUX got down to the 1600's in less than two or three minutes on high. (It is regulated on lower levels)

I have a LC reflector kit upgrade on order with the Shoppe.

Any other things I should know?

I like this light :rock:

nuggett

Enlightened
I dont know about your Lioncub, but I want a U bin in my RAW!

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
CroMAGnet said:
Also surprised to watch the LUX reading dropping like a rock. I'd say the 1800 LUX got down to the 1600's in less than two or three minutes on high. (It is regulated on lower levels)

Any other things I should know?

I like this light :rock:

If it's a stock LionCub, it does not have regulation. The output is lowered by PWM. The output will essentially follow the battery discharge curve and will also be affected by the emitter die temperature. The rapid drop is caused by the heating up of the die due to the current level.

I believe that the diver board is size compatible with the regulated Chameleons and is capable of being swapped when they become available.

cy

Flashaholic
as it's already been stated, lioncub are direct drive on high setting. so it's best use no higher than Kbin vf to limit current to luxeon.

Kbin vf should limit current to aprox. 1.1amps. you can easily measure forward voltage by simply taking a measurement at emitter.

this in one instance that a lower vf luxeon is not desirable.

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
My first LionCub was expertly modded by Cue003, who opened up the bezel area and fitted a McR-20 (Aleph 2 and McLux III PD reflector), then popped in a UW0J from his Raw. The glass is AR coated on one side only, make sure the greenish reflection is the OUTSIDE of the light (so the coating is technically on the inside of the lens, limiting light trapped in the reflector area. No regulation at all, so the drop you see is your 123 cell crying uncle for being taxed with the full on DD load. Dont get the Chammie upgrade in my opinon, the regulation puts an even heavier tax on a 123 cell and shortens runtimes significantly. And you lose UI0, which I love (64 levels varying brightness versus UI with only 5 levels) which also has tactical momentary operation not found in the new Chammie firmware. I personally love the Chammie but dont like the effect of the regulation has on runtime. If you have a 168 body and ran the big Pila cells then the regulation is a big plus, but with the 123 its a bummer. You already hti the sweet spot with a U-bin and MCR-20 for big lux numbers. You want higher, over 3500? Get a Lionhead. Its a stock Mag reflector in a trick housing. Center THAT hotspot on your Meterman and watch the numbers fly. The most incredible throw possible in a small LED light. Basically equal to the performance of ANY 2D or 3D Mag with O-sink and Lux 3, that fits in your hand!