Torches at WDW

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
WDW..Walt Disney World, Florida.

We had a lovely 2 weeks there a couple of years ago, 2 adults, AKL.

Wasn't into torches then.

Not much anyway, way before I discovered CPF and got sucked in.

I wonder, what have your experiences been using torches at WDW.

Also, other means of illumination, eg: Glow in the Dark

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Disney is VERY well illuminated at night and entirely for effect. I can't think of a place anywhere on earth that has as much thought invested in this way.

"Personal" lights that blink, like rave lights, would be fun to walk around with and would be entirely consistent with the park atmosphere. Walking around with a convetional flashlight of any kind might look kind of odd.

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a good way to ruin a ride. I would hate for some jerky kid to take a high powered flashlight on Pirates of the Caribbean or some other ride and spoil it for everyone. I know that a CPFer wouldn't do this. Plus, a loose flashlight would definitely be a safety hazard on a roller coaster. Besides, the parks are pretty well-lit.

I always like to have a flashlight in a strange hotel room though. It makes those middle of the night bathroom trips easier.

BTW, I love WDW. I went there for my honeymoon, my 5 year anniversary and took my kids for the first time last summer. It is awesome and cannot wait to go back. I even have a Disney Visa card to rack up points.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, thinking of using torch when walking only of course.

Only time I used it was after fireworks at Epcot, (three visits !) when it was crowded and dark with loads people, helpful to shine on ground, so wife and I could see where each other was in crowd.

secamp32

Newly Enlightened
I always bring a few when we go to WDW. With all the crowds it easy to lose a kid in the dark. I try to get the kids to wear glow sticks that makes it harder to lose them. Even during the day you may need one. Last time we were there my daughter fell inside one of the dark walking rides and I needed a light to fix her boo boo. Several years ago my son was inside the dino play area where it was dark and he got scared. He was fine once daddy's e2e lit the way! I generally bring a bright light (the SF E2E) and a dimmer led (SL keymate or batonlite or an ASP elite).

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
We have been there many times. We used to camp in Ft. Wilderness. Used lights all the time there. Their areas around the campsites are lit, but not well. So walking back from the bus stop at night I would always use a light.

In the parks, I never do. I think there is plenty of light to walk with. But I use my lights judiciously. I camp with scouts all the time. I walk at night by moonlight or with the help of an Arc AAA whenever possible. So you may want to use one more than I do. I have used one to shine on some of the shoreline when riding in a boat back to the campgrounds.

We absolutely love WDW also! We go every year. We buy annual passes in July and use them for two weeks. Then go back the next June for two more weeks on the same pass. We went there on our honeymoon also. We have 4 more years until our 25th anniversary. We plan to renew our vows down there.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
A UV light might be interesting on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Everything there is fluorescent and the whole ride is blacklit.

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is actually pretty disturbing and weird. Lots of colorful mushrooms and toads, and at the end you go to hell. Maybe they're trying to say something there...

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually have a few on me when I take my family down there. I normally wear comfortable "cargo" type pants which allows a 1x123 or 2x123 light to be carried in a side pocket very easily. Another pocket always carries my trusty CNC-123 and of course a Photon Freedom is stashed somewhere else. I carry either a backpack or a smaller BugOutGear bag with a SF G2, E2e or Pelican M6 Xenon.

I rarely use the lights in the parks, unless it's a low power light and I need to look through a bag after dark. Actually, my 3 year old daughter was frightened in the cave on Tom Sawyers Island so I did light the way out (making sure not to distract or blind any of the other park guests).

I find I do use them quite a bit when walking the paths of the Disney "moderate" resorts (Port Orleans and French Quarter are our favorites) late at night. They can be handy spotting the many small rabbits that live on the properties as well as identifying what may or may not be lurking in a dark corner or row of shrubs. So far, the 6v Xenon lights seem to offer the best compromise between easy all-day carry and blinding, long range lighting. I tried a Lux3 in a 27mm reflector but found that it lacked the long range punch of the SF incan's. Same with a LuxV in a 27mm...

Jon

Last edited: