Trick I discovered to see the main and spill beams with the naked eye.

tron3

Banned
I was lurking in a food closet last night when I noticed a new bottle of Syrup. I was curious how well my Fenix L0P could penetrate this Amber goo. So I go into a darkened room and press the light against the bottle.

:wow: Not only did I see the main beam focused, I saw the dimmer spill beam coming out of the sides. Worked on a honey jar too! If you REALLY want some awesome beam pics, some of you zealot types will want to pour this stuff into a large smooth beaker and keep it around just to see beams.

I think I have proven myself a worthy Flashaolic, so now you all don't have to get me. :rock: <Goes back in hiding just in case.>

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have a block of frosted lucite that worked great for this sort of thing but now I can't find it anywhere <sigh>.

tron3

Banned
zespectre said:
I used to have a block of frosted lucite that worked great for this sort of thing but now I can't find it anywhere <sigh>.

A darker lucite would probably be best. Unless you are looking to preserve color purity with white fosted, darker colors show better.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was just something I had laying around, a roughly brick sized block that was just slightly frosted throughout. Laser beams bounced all around it it, it was a lot of fun but I lost in somewhere in my last couple of moves and haven't seen it since.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I observe flashlight beams outdoors while the snow is falling or when the air is cold enough so I can "see" the steam from my breath.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
tron3 said:
I was lurking in a food closet last night when I noticed a new bottle of Syrup. I was curious how well my Fenix L0P could penetrate this Amber goo. So I go into a darkened room and press the light against the bottle.

:wow: Not only did I see the main beam focused, I saw the dimmer spill beam coming out of the sides. Worked on a honey jar too!

You could also try shining into a sealed at one end toilet roll inner cardboard tube, held a short distance from the front of the torch.

This should remove main beam, leaving just the spill.

I haven't tried it yet, will do so later.

the_beast

Newly Enlightened
I don't get it. The trick I use to see the main and spill beams with my naked eyes is to point the light at something when it's dark and look at what light comes out.

Have I missed something?

tron3

Banned
the_beast said:
I don't get it. The trick I use to see the main and spill beams with my naked eyes is to point the light at something when it's dark and look at what light comes out.

Have I missed something?

Yes. When you cast it on a wall, you see only the reflected light. When you shine through a dark liquid substance, you see the actual beam. Much like seeing a laser beam with a smoker. With flashlights, it's more fun because you see the spill beam.

the_beast

Newly Enlightened
Aaaaahhhh. Now I get it. Sorry.

I don't have any syrup/honey or similar, so I can't test it. But are you really seeing the beam or variations in the syrup? I'm gonna have to go find me some transparent goopy stuff and go play in the closet.

Hmm better get an explanation ready for when my girlfriend asks what I'm up to...:whistle:

tron3

Banned
the_beast said:
... But are you really seeing the beam or variations in the syrup? ...:whistle:

You most certainly will. I suppose a long exposure pic might reveal a little more.
A bottle of mouth wash might work. Even a tall bottle filled with water and dark food coloring. Play around, you never know.

Just tell your girlfriend to hold the bottle. :naughty:

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
Guys, I just don't know about this.
bowdown.gif
Mrsjclarksnakes, the woman who must be obeyed, already thinks I am strange. If she finds me playing in the dark with a bunch of flashlights and a jar of honey she might just pack up and leave me.
evilgrin07.gif
Hmmm....I think I have a jar of honey in the pantry.
jclarksnakes

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
leukos said:
I like to use the smoke from a campfire to check beam profiles. :)

Yeah, I used to do that too but my wife got tired of calling the fire department to put out the living room carpet :ohgeez:
:lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign:

garageguy

Newly Enlightened
I took some fog beamshots in my garage with a dj fogger awhile back. This is my first attempt at this so keep that in mind. I may try to do some more another time. The second photo is the same setup as the first but with longer exposure.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting