PT Tec 40 w/lithium batts.

paulr

Flashaholic
Just a few seconds til the bulb burns out, but it will be very bright while it lasts.

David_Campen

Enlightened
I see that PrincetonTec advertises a run time of 5 hours on alkaline batteries. This seems wildly optimistic.

I don't have knowledge of the Tec40 but the PrincetonTec Surge cannot handle Lithium batteries, the bulb goes supernova almost instantly.

For a 4AA, 4-watt incandescent that can handle Lithium AA batteries get a UK4AA with the 4-watt lamp module that is sold for the NiMH rechargeable version.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want to use lithiums in a PT40, try a 5 cell bulb.

David, are you sure that 4 watt module can handle 4 lithiums?! That amazes me unless it's somehow regulated. The UK4AA eLED which is regulated does nicely on lithiums but the xenon versions would probably go out pretty fast.

kubolaw

Enlightened
paulr said:
Just a few seconds til the bulb burns out, but it will be very bright while it lasts.

Actually, unless PT has changed their Tec40 bulb characteristics in the past few years, the Tec40 handles lithiums just fine (it is correct that the Surge cannot use lithiums). Based on my own experience, lithiums would bump the runtime to about 3-3.5 hours, at which point the light would be basically dead (versus somewhat under 2.5 hours with alkalines).

John

David_Campen

Enlightened
David, are you sure that 4 watt module can handle 4 lithiums?! That amazes me unless it's somehow regulated.
No regulation that I can tell but it works great. I have two of these with several hours burn time and dozens of on-off cycles without a bulb failure.

My guess is that while Lithium drop less voltage under load than alkalines they do drop more voltage under load than NiMH so that at this load the Lithium end up being close to the NiMH voltage.

wattsoccurring

Newly Enlightened
I've also been using a PT-40 with lithiums without a problem. For me, this helps make it a great light to have in the car even through the winter.
Even if you blow the bulb, general PR bulbs to fit are so easy to come bye.
Great little light!