E1L or E1E, what's your preference?

SCblur

Enlightened
I have just received an E1L and bought a MN01 LA for my E2e, so I now have all four E series combos at my disposal. I like the E1 form factor for EDC around home, but I'm torn over wether to carry the E1L or E1E. Here are my thoughts, what are your opinions/advice/preverences?

Reasons I like the E1L:
1. REGULATED!!!! (this is big)
2. brighter than E1e (no spill though)
3. very white light
4. durable LED
5. better thrower than E1e (again, no spill)

Reasons I like the E1E:
1. Beautiful beam profile (crappy throw, but hey, it's one battery after all)
2. Smaller, nicer package than big KL1 head (this one matters)
3. more sidespill for a 'more usable' beam

Whadaya think? Which one should I carry? I have too many options now, and I can't seem to settle on one, therefore I'm looking to let you guys convince me. Anybody have both of these and consistently prefer one over the other?

Thanks,
Josh

CLHC

Flashaholic
I haven't seen the SureFire E1l so cannot comment on it. But the SureFire E1e I like and EDC alternatingly with others. Reasons are pretty much as you described them in your latter half of reasons.

Enjoy!

SCblur

Enlightened
Thanks CHC. Sometimes I think less really is more. I find that once it gets dark and I need to go somewhere, I often spend more time deliberating over which light to take with me, than I actually spend using it. I guess that's why I'm on CPF though, everybody has a hobby. I just wish I didn't have three expensive ones.

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
Well I like the e1e wiht the kl4 head on it more then the e1l. Does that count?

AlexSchira

Enlightened
After reading this topic, I suddenly remembered a local deal I can get on an E1L.
...I want one.

firefly99

Enlightened
I use the E1E more often because :
a) it is smaller and lighter than E1L,
b) does not get as warm as the E1L
c) incan beam is more useable than LED, on dark road with street lights
while LED is more wash out.

The difference in output is quite small, my eyeball said "not very bright"
I would rather put a KL4 on a E1 body.

Will use E1L indoor.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I've a question, does the KL1 head and E1e (or E1e bezel and the E1L) match in color anodize? If not, can somebody post some pics? Trying to decide which I want to pick up next.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
BOTH, of course!

But for EDC, E1L lets you not worry about a spare lamp, and is useful for most purposes.

daloosh

SCblur

Enlightened
Here are some pictures for color comparison. All three lights are stock, and as you can see, the KL1 on the E1 body matches far better than the stock bezel on the E2. I think color matching is a crap shoot, given he HAIII process, so these pictures probably are no representation of any particular SF light's color matching. That disclaimer said, here 'ya go!

lights_001.JPG

lights_002.JPG

lights_003.JPG

carrot

Flashaholic
Thanks SCblur. It looks like the difference in colors between the E1e and E1L are exaggerated in Surefire's photos. I think I'll pick up an E1e soon, and if I really want, pick up a KL1 later. (Trying to cool down my spending.)

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I normally pick LED over incandescent. I don't have personal experience with either of the SF's, but I'm considering an E1L just because.

Jost, have you tried a Nuwai QIII? I think it is smaller than the E1L and it has what I consider a wide beam.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry an E1L everyday... nice spot... good enough up close.

If anyone else does, do they use a holster or just place it in a pocket?

firefly99

Enlightened
Dan_GSR said:
E1L out throws the E1E ???
Yes, it is a thrower.
As a thrower it is very impressive for a 1 cell. Just don't expect any side spill.
Addition of a F04 diffuser would make it a flood.

firefly99

Enlightened
carrot said:
I think I'll pick up an E1e soon, and if I really want, pick up a KL1 later. (Trying to cool down my spending.)

Smart choice & sequence, to pick up E1E follow by KL1.

If you pick up E1L, follow by MN01 LA. You still need to get a bezel for the MN01 LA.

May I tempt you to get a KL4 instead of a KL1 ? That would a Great choice. :devil:

carrot

Flashaholic
firefly99 said:
Smart choice & sequence, to pick up E1E follow by KL1.

If you pick up E1L, follow by MN01 LA. You still need to get a bezel for the MN01 LA.

May I tempt you to get a KL4 instead of a KL1 ? That would a Great choice. :devil:
That was another thing I was considering... except I'd rather pick up an L4 instead of just the KL4. More lights = happiness.

The E1e seems like it'd suit my needs better, as well -- if the E1L/KL1 has as tight a spillbeam as people say, it won't have that much advantage over the Fenix L1P, which I think sometimes has too small a hotspot for certain work.