Luxeon Dorcy project

flashlightguy

Newly Enlightened
I'm working on running a luxeon using the dorcy 1-AAA flashlight as a host.
Right now I have a Max1797 and a 22uH inductor and a 47uF capacitor on the output. I've managed to put all this on the old board, but it's pretty tight.
So far I have 180mA driving the Lux1 from a nimh AAA. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Anyone know what the L0P is driven at? Are they running at the full 350mA that the Luxeon can handle?

Thanks

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt it runs close to 350. The L0P is quite a bit less bright than the L1P or L2P and I doubt if either of those are overdriving the LED. My guess is the L0P is probably set to about 200ma... or somewhere between 175ma and 250ma.

Problem with running the Dorcy much harder than 200 is the heat... it certainly isn't conducive to excellent heatsinking. I think a mod using 3 Peak Snow 29 LEDs would be pretty sweet... just crammed in there as long as they are generally facing forward. Good brightness, good tint, decent runtime. Getting them centered might be a challenge though.

flashlightguy

Newly Enlightened
I ordered some coilcraft inductors and now I'm getting around 250mA into a lux1.
the 47uH was giving me around 200mA, and a 10uH was giving me 260mA, but I suspect it was probably saturating.

I know the light is a little big, but it's a good platform for mods.

Now, I just need to get some LTC3490's to replace the one I killed.