recommendations for corrections officer

Bucfanmike

Newly Enlightened
Im a new c.o. and need a compact light. something in the 5" range so any of the 2x123 lights would work. The light wont get alot of use. Mostly during cell shakedowns, 2 per shift except on night shifts. I bought a scorpion but had problems with the light falling apart the first day so i returned it. My budget is $75 max as this will be a starter light for me. (at least til i get my first uniform allowance) lol

any suggestions would help, im looking at either a g2 or a pelican m6 as value buys, both of which i think would work for me. But just wondering if moving up to $75 would buy me a noticible difference in performance. Also wouldnt hurt if this light is really durable in case it needs to be used to "gain compliance"

Thanks

carrot

Flashaholic
Bumping up your budget to $75 means you can pick up a Surefire 9P. At 6.5" it's slightly longer than what you're looking for but you do get more power for that little bit of extra length.

As for the G2, it feels very durable (I've babied mine), but you might want a little more heft -- the 6P is the same size, but metal and heavier.

Performance-wise, the G2, 6P, G2z, Z2, C2, and M2 are all exactly the same, but in different form-factors (the M2 is the most shock-resistant,, for instance). Another idea is you could buy two G2s (different colors, of course) and in one of them, put the P61 lamp assembly for higher output -- basically, a wider hotspot -- but at the expense of runtime.

Oh, and don't forget to check out the deal from OpticsHQ in greenLED's "CPF Specials" thread -- good discount on Surefire lights.

Bucfanmike

Newly Enlightened
i dont think the pointed crowns are a good idea. we are held tightly to "reasonable" force. The blunt metal ends on pressure points would be a more likely use, plenty of pain compliance without lingering marks.

carrot

Flashaholic
The Fenix L1P and L2P lights are great by any stretch, but I'm not sure I'd use one where my life is on the line -- I'd prefer a time-tested, proven light, like a Surefire. Just my 2¢ on the Fenixes for CO use.

bikeg

Newly Enlightened
I use an Inova XO3 for all around work, I was using an Inova X5, but found when working the yard or somewhere I needed throw that the X5 was just useless.
I would say an XO Or a T1 Or T2 from Inova.
New C/O? Welcome to the family bro!

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
First Off...welcome to CPF and the LE community...I know it is out of your price range but I am huge fan oh my SF L4 for close in stuff, and daily use. I am still waiting for my Fenix L1P to come in, but I have heard good things about that. Maybe you can pick up a E1L cheap...good light and compact.

cy

Flashaholic
Get a Surefire 6P for $59 new or used for less on b/s/t.
6P has been many a cpf'er first quality light.

then as you progress in lights, purchase a 3watt drop-in head for $35. then as you progress futher, bore out your 6P body to accept 18650 cell for several hours runtime.

Surefire L4 is an awsume light too. but it's slightly out of your budget at aprox. $125 used.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome!

Lots of info going on here. . .Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

NickelPlate

Enlightened
Bucfanmike said:
any suggestions would help, im looking at either a g2 or a pelican m6 as value buys, both of which i think would work for me.
Thanks

Either one would be a good choice but since you're likely to get alot of Surefire votes, I'll throw one in for the M6. I just bought the M6 3W LED and it is a great light. The G2 might be brighter at first, but the M6 will give more runtime, durable LED, regulated output and HA III anodized vs. plastic. In addition to the advice here, be sure to check out the reviews linked below for a comparison to help make your decision. Have fun!

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/pelican_m6_2390.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_g2.htm

Oops, I guess I missed your $75 Max budget. The 2390 runs for about $85. Don't know much about the previous M6's.

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
really like the pelican M6 and currently have two. both bored out to accept 18650, one with stock 3watt and one with 5watt side emitter driven by BB750.

wonderful reflector! the basis of Mclux 27mm series. but tailcaps switches have not been the most reliable. that's been my experience, your mileage may veri.

Surefire 6P is a ruggedly constructed light that will not let you down. P60 bulb is an engineering marvel in tuffness.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, almost everyone says, "Surefire" when your life depends on it!

How do you know? (I mean that your life depends on it?) We all assume that LEO's and CO's will have more chance of a life threatening situation, but all of us face possible life threatening situations and we use other lights besides Surefires!

Lots of good suggestions here, but I found the Surefire bias interesting, and had to comment on it.

BTW, I'd say Surefire too!!

Bill

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised to hear that your Scorpion fell apart and it would sound like it may have been an exception rather than the norm. I know street officers who have carried those through years of use and abuse without problems.

For a small light in the 5" range, it sounds like one of the the CR123 lights would indeed be your best bet. Both the Scorpion and the Surefire G2 lights would probably be a good choice for a non-metal light that would be less effective as an impact weapon should you lose control of the light. For a metal light within the parameters of your budgetary constraints, the Streamlight TL-2/NF-2, TL-2 LED, or Surefire 6P would be available from web sources for less than $75, as would the rechargeable Streamlight Strion which is quite a bit brighter than the CR123 lights.

Bucfanmike

Newly Enlightened
i think i found a little extra money that i can contribute to the fund. Im up to about 100 now so that puts the strion in reach. So any other options for 100 would be great. i really like the idea of rechargeable.

Thanks

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could get five two packs of Sam's club Cyclops Xenons for $100 and have ten very bright lights cr123 batteries included. Just demonstrating best bang for the buck here. BTW my scorpion boot fell apart. I still like my scorpion.:p

carrot

Flashaholic
If you want rechargeable, an Inova T4 would be a good, solid performer. From Brightguy, it'll be a little bit more than $100 - but think of all the money you'll save on batteries. You might be able to get it cheaper elsewhere, however.

T4 review: http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_t4.htm

You could also go the Surefire route and get a G2 and KR1 rechargeable conversion kit for about $110 shipped from OpticsHQ using the CPF discounts I referred to earlier. But it'll be longer than 5 inches.

You could get a 9P and put Pila rechargeable batteries in it, too.

Or a Streamlight Strion.

Last edited:

JimmyB

Enlightened
I wrote the following this morning but somehow forgot to send it...........

Before I became a cop I was a C/O in a Washington State prison. I was a floater so I never knew what post I would be working on any given day/night. Back then there really weren't any two stage lights but they would have been ideal for my use. I carried two lights. During cell searches I didn't want the most powerful, blinding beam, as I looked into various nooks. However if I happened to find myself outside in the big yard or anywhere else, a powerful beam with good throw was very welcome. I think a Surefire A2 would be perfect for your use. It's way out of your budget though. A Surefire G2 has excellent throw and a powerful beam for about $30. With the remainder of your funds, find youself a small, relatively dim but long running LED. Something like an Infinity Ultra would be ideal. I wouldn't count on using a flashlight as a compliance tool unluss you are WELL trained in the techniques and practice often.

If it all gets confusing remember that any good quality flashlight will work just fine.

JimmyB

Last edited: