I'd like to hear from some of our LEO members..

AshA4

Banned
My brother-in-law is going to graduate this May to become a LEO in N.C.
I have taken it upon myself to provide him with his illumination tools.

I would like to ask our CPF LEO's what they carry on the job, their experiences with their current setups and what factors played a role in their decisions.

I have a general idea of what I am planning to send my B-I-L, he'll have several choices believe me.

I appreciate any input and I have read and re-read older posts on this subject but would like some present date opinions as tastes/situations/real world tests do change.

Thanks!

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
It depends on the type of work he'll be doing.

My opinion...

I do a lot of highway work so I use a Magcharger(1160) on traffic stops. The Mag60 is bright enough to burn through darkly tinted windows on SUVs/Vans, strong enough to bust off car parts, and serve as a pseudo baton. I love it.

I also carry a SF G2 (or a Golston since it fits nicely in the Surefire holster) on my belt as a backup light.

Then I also have an L1P in my left pocket for searching vehicles. That's probably just the CPF in me though, the SF or Golston could fill this role as well.

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
Well I work third shift, so I am big into lights. Here is what I use and what I recommend:

Use: I use a Streamlight Ultra Stinger, it is rechargable, which I find useful...plus it has a good light range distance wise...and, if necessary could be used as an impact tool. Rides shotgun with me wedged in my seat..and in jack pocket when I am out.
Surefire M3-CB, on duty belt in holster...I use this for building searches with the Rogers/Surefire method, and as my "bright light" when my SL is being charged.
Surefire L4. carry it on my duty belt as well...use it when I am in the bars checking id's, and for close in stuff..sometimes when clearing buildings.

Recommend: Something rechargable...save money on batteries, and generally you want at least one "big" light, and usually a rechargable fits this bill.
I recommend at least one or two duty/back up lights...ESPECIALLY when working the night shifts...always should have light for safety. A light that can fit in a holster on the duty belt is ideal, makes wear easy and loss of the light at a minimum. And last, never hurts to get something else a little more compact that can be put in a pocket, or placed skillfully on the duty belt. It is a PITA to carry spare batteries in your pockets, and you never know if it will die on you so being redundant with light is a plus.

Last thing I would recomment...always keep spare batteries somewhere, I keepa box in my locker.

Hope this helps, and tell him good luck and stay safe.

bagman

Enlightened
I'm a Police Officer over the pond in England so the price of 123A's is a major factor on my lights for work :rolleyes:

I buy in bulk from the US for lights at home, back ups etc but all my main lights for work are rechargeable or use rechargeable batteries.

My main long range light is a Tigerlight, I dont carry it on foot patrol but its always in my gear bag and goes in the door pocket when I'm out in the car.

Depending on what shift I'm doing my main belt light wil be;

SF M3 running on PILA 150s batteries
Blackhawk Gladius on PILA 168s
SF Z2 with a P90 bulb and 2 x unprotected R123A's

I carry a SF L4 in my vest pocket for close range/indoors searching (also running on a PILA 168s)

Ourr vest pockets have slots in the front of them for pens etc and these are great for extra batteries. I can carry 2 x 150S in them.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Do any LEO's still use a Mag 6D? I've been thinking of picking one up lately and putting a MagnumStar bulb in it.

I know it's not exactly high technology, and they're pretty ungainly, but you can't beat the runtime along with the brightness. Decent capacity Alkaline D's can be found for fairly cheap if you look in places like Big Lots and know what to look for.

Anybody here still use old technology? I've been frustrated by the prices and short runtime of CR123A's lately.

bagman

Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
Do any LEO's still use a Mag 6D? I've been thinking of picking one up lately and putting a MagnumStar bulb in it.

I know it's not exactly high technology, and they're pretty ungainly, but you can't beat the runtime along with the brightness. Decent capacity Alkaline D's can be found for fairly cheap if you look in places like Big Lots and know what to look for.

Anybody here still use old technology? I've been frustrated by the prices and short runtime of CR123A's lately.

Lots of my colleagues still use D cell M@G's mostly 2 or 3 cell ones

I'm slowly wearing them down though :D

I've bought 3 x SF G2's for shift members and sold my old G2Z to another.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a Surefire M6 with a Jim Sexton (JS) custom designed battery pack, but this setup isn't available. The Tigerlight might make a passable substitute, but I don't own one so I can only speculate.

Several LEOs here and in the past have suggested the Surefire M3. I have that as my backup light and I think I can guarantee that any LEO would be thrilled to get one of these.

I would recommend backing a larger (more expensive) primary light with a Strion. All of these lights have intense center brightness, throw, which is a primary consideration, in my opinion.

Still, my coworkers doing the same exact job as me have different priorities and different flashlights.

bikeg

Newly Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:

Not from what I have seen, If you go to a uniform supply store that caters to LE folk, they most likely will have the magcharger, maybe some 2-3d mags and a bunch of streamlights, pelicans, surefires etcetc.
Where I work most guys are using beltable LEDS, or Stingers, Scorpions.

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:

I am also slowly widdling guys down away from these. It is amazing, guys drop the Mags once and BLAMMO they don't work. I have dropped my SL US several times and besides the scuffs, no problem working. I was a fan of them, well back in the day before I learned a little more about lights.

bikeg

Newly Enlightened
RemingtonBPD said:
I am also slowly widdling guys down away from these. It is amazing, guys drop the Mags once and BLAMMO they don't work. I have dropped my SL US several times and besides the scuffs, no problem working. I was a fan of them, well back in the day before I learned a little more about lights.

Yes sir!

My "first" Inova X03 looked like it had been the victim of a scud missle attack, worked fine!

ibcj

Enlightened
Magcharger w/ WA1160 for a primary patrol light. Plenty tough and bright. Rechargable is a must when using a light so much. It's also not super expensive and could easily be replaced if it was lost. I've abused mine for 12+ years and it's still going strong.

AshA4

Banned
Thank you for the replies thus far. Here is what I have set aside for my B-I-L to choose from -

~MagCharger with (2) 6 volt nicad batt sticks, (3) chargers AC/DC and a seperate one to just charge a Ni-cad stick to be on hand, just ordered (4) WA 1160 bulbs cause stock bulbs just aren't enough, complete extra lens assembly, 2 extra switches (just in case)

~2D ROP, 6 AA FM chargable batt pack w/USC,(no one likes to take out and charge individual cells) Energizer 2500 batts, (4) extra #3854 packs, LS reflector, Boro lens (2) extra

~Mag85, 9AA FM chargable batt pack w/USC, SMO reflector, Energizer 2500, Boro lens, (3) extra bulbs

~SL Stinger XT (thanks Kew) w/extra bulb (1) A/C charger, D/C charger on order and more bulbs

~For backup/belt lights - SL TL-2 LED, SL TL-3 incan, Inova XO, Inova T2, SL Scorpion LED

I've got about a dozen or so BS 123's on hand to get him started/test for the backup lights. I'm thinking the MC with the bulb upgrade is going to fine for him. My only concern with the ROP and Mag85 are runtime but the output of both is just sweet. I like the regulation of the Inova's and even the SL's arent bad. I know the TL-3 is only good for about an hour but I figured the output will be a good backup incase his main light failed him for whatever reason.

He is in no ways a flashaholic but I do manage to send him lights for Christmas and birthdays in the past. I want to make it somewhat easy for him to choose the right illumination tools so he doesn't have to worry about them. I can make suggestions but he will ultimately need to use the lights and decide for himself.

More thoughts or suggestions welcome.:)

secamp32

Newly Enlightened
Most of those lights would probably not appeal to a non-flashaholic. I'm only a part timer but would recommend the Streamlight Ultrastinger. Its not unwieldy, but stout enought to use as an impact weapon in a pinch. It also doesn't say "CLUB" like a big maglight. Its brighter than a stock magcharger and chargers easily in the car or at home. For a secondary I like the SF z3 but I just ordered a Gladius so I'm not sure about that. I also carry a small red led light for looking at stuff while I'm sitting in the car. Nothing like using a 60 or 100+ lumen light when you drop something in the car and have it reflect back in your eyes.

Blazer

Enlightened
On the belt, a Streamlight Strion and a Pelican M6 LED, as well as a ring for a mag charger or a Streamlight SL-20-X LED

In the duty bag, Streamlight Stinger Xt and the MagCharger or SL 20-X-LED

Reasons,
Strion, primary light for traffic stops when I have to get out of the car quickly.
PM6LED, for a backup long lasting light

Mag Charger for primary light and possible impact weapon, I'm Auxiliary so firearm is not available, impact weapon is my next best friend from my partner. SL-20-X-LED is quite attractive as it is basically two lights in one, so it's slowly replacing my magcharger.
The Stinger Xt in the bag is an extra in case one of mine burn out or if my partner needs a light.

If I were in your position and had about $125-$130 to spend I'd buy my BIL a Streamlight SL-20-X-LED as I think it is a very versatile light and too expensive to buy myself.

nightwalker

Newly Enlightened
I, also work nights. I, carry a 6P with a P61 lamp on my duty belt and a streamlight M-3 mounted on my handgun and some times mounted on my M-4.
I, have a Nuwai Q3 for backup and if I, can't access my ASP I, have a Mag 6 cell c for encounters.

Newly Enlightened
~MagCharger with (2) 6 volt nicad batt sticks, (3) chargers AC/DC and a seperate one to just charge a Ni-cad stick to be on hand, just ordered (4) WA 1160 bulbs cause stock bulbs just aren't enough, complete extra lens assembly, 2 extra switches (just in case)

I'm a big fan of the Magcharger with the 1160 bulb. Been using mine for over 8 years, maybe 3 with the upgrade, and it's a good solid coplight. They do have NiMH batteries that will give a longer runtime and can be charged in the stock cradle. Just don't leave it in there for an extended period, as over his days off. I still use my origional switch so the extras might be overkill plus I think it's under warrante.

As for any of the lights that you have to remove batteries to recharge, they might not be a good option. They make great lights with lots of power but if it becomes a hassle then it won't be used. It needs to be simple and user friendly.

~SL Stinger XT (thanks Kew) w/extra bulb (1) A/C charger, D/C charger on order and more bulbs

A popular cop choice.

~For backup/belt lights - SL TL-2 LED, SL TL-3 incan, Inova XO, Inova T2, SL Scorpion LED

I'm partial to Surefire but that's me. As long as he has a backup better than a MiniMag. I like the Strion though.

edakoppo

Newly Enlightened
I'm not an LEO but you might want to see if you can find out what the agency's regs are. What I mean by this is that some agencies have specific regs on what lights their people can or cannot carry, and some even go so far as to mandate what they must carry.

One example of this is that from what I've read, LAPD has banned any lights that could be used as batons. Another example is Sacramento PD (a friend used to run a business that supplied them), which mandates that all their officers have a blue LED light on them (brand/type not specified), so they can summon a chopper if needed and they're in a radio dead spot or can't talk, but I do not recall what their other loadout was.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, find out what the regs. are because some only allow a certain size & some only allow polymer lights. Then after that is done look at my signature line for some good examples.

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
AshA4, I have just about 30 years field experience (and hey, after 30 repeats of the first year, I ALMOST have it down-pat, but I digress...), and have gone through a LOT of lights.

My inventory of lighting tools includes:
- 3 Dorcy 9" LED 2 D traffic wands, for traffic directing or strike-fusee replacement, carried in a tool box in the trunk of my patrol car;
- 1 Pelican M6 xenon, silver coloured, with 2 x RCR123A 3.0 v Powerizer lithium-ion rechargeable cells, mainly as a back-up in the tool box or a demo;
- 1 Pila GL3 (white/blue LED tail cap), with 3 x RCR123A 3.6 Powerizer li-ion cells, always on my duty belt, in a snap-and-velcro secured flap top nylon holster;
- 1 MXDL 3 watt LED, with 3 AAA alkaline disposable batteries, always on my duty belt, in a velcro secured flap top nylon holster (originally to fit an OC canister);
- 1 Maglight 3 C, black, with KPR118 bulb, modamag MOP reflector, flashlightlens.com borofloat lens, 3 x 18500 li-ion cells and a 3-C-length piece of PVC pipe as a cell spacer/adaptor, carried in the tool box as a back-up;
EDIT - 1 Maglight 2 C, black, with HPR40 bulb, heavy stippling aluminum reflector (thanks to litho123 for both!), 2 x Pila 150A cells (thanks to Jon Burlison), standard lens (funds low - sigh!!) and PVC spacer/adaptor, also in the tool box as a back-up EDIT;
- 1 Gladius, original ceracote black, not in operational use pending a special occasion.

I hope to soon add a LED Logic Striker VG, with RCR123A or 16340 3.0 v li-ion cells, to that inventory, once I get some more money together.

If your brother is issued a Mag 3 C or D, or longer, by his Department, I would suggest you buy him a LED 3 w or 5 W replacement bulb, and dummy C or D cells if it is a 4 to 6 C or D, and he will be very happy with the output.

If your brother is issued a MiniMag, consider buying him an LED drop-in module.

If your brother does get a Mag C or D issued by his Department, but must buy his own batteries, buy him some 18500, 18650, C-equivalent or D-equivalent li-ion cells and chargers from AW or some of the other members on CPF and buy some high-powered KPR, HPR or XPR bulbs from some CPF members or wholesaler/retailers that advertise on here.

Tell him that, if his Department has screen-printed or embroidered t-shirts, I would be willing to exchange one of my Force's t-shirts for one of his! He just has to eMail me either from his work or home account, with his name, rank and Departmental name and address, so I can ship to his office.

Last edited: