What Would You Do For A LAMINA??? | Images of BL3000 @ 2045 lumens |

K-Shell

Newly Enlightened
I just got a Lamina BL - 3000 100 watt red LED! I said it's for an X-Ray warning light but I mainly just want to see its output. Has anyone ever owned one or have any pictures of one running at full output???

Also it needs a power supply, I think in the order of 6.3V @ ~15A. Anyone know of anything cheap besides a tractor battery????

thanks

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Re: What Would You Do For A LAMINA???

K-Shell said:
Also it needs a power supply, I think in the order of 6.3V @ ~15A. Anyone know of anything cheap besides a tractor battery????
Any PC power supply will give you 5V at upwards of 20 amps. This of course won't drive the BL-3000 to full brightness, but it'll come close (probably about 85%). Don't forget the sunglasses. :devil:

OddOne

Enlightened

I have a white Lamina BL3000 mounted to a 1.25" diameter x 6" long solid copper rod. I'm using a custom-made step-up regulator circuit and a reflector from a theatrical/stage light. It's still a work in progress though but it'll put 130,000+ lux onto a meter @ 1m from the LED array.

oO

K-Shell

Newly Enlightened

jtr1962 said:
Any PC power supply will give you 5V at upwards of 20 amps. This of course won't drive the BL-3000 to full brightness, but it'll come close (probably about 85%). Don't forget the sunglasses. :devil:

Thank you JTR1962, your idea worked so nicely!!!

I received the LED array yesterday and ever since I have been messing around with this PC power supply I had lying around, trying to make it into something completely different. So I pulled out the electrical engineering books, the oscilloscope, the multimeter and the soldering iron. I clipped off all of those annoying connectors that where hanging out of the P.S. and added my own banana clip connectors. On top of the P.S. I put one of those switches with the spring loaded plastic cover (like the kind a pilot flips to launch a nuke). And I modified the voltage regulating circuit (NOT EASY). To change the voltage wasn't hard; I just had to change some resistor values behind a zener diode. so I could make the voltage drop significantly or raise slightly before I kicked the over voltage protecting circuit which cut off at exactly 6 volts, and I NEEDED 6.7 volts. This kind of annoyed me because I spent hours doing all of this custom work and couldn't get the voltage I needed. But then I got lucky. by researching part numbers of many of the components on the circuit I found that one of the I.C's on the circuit was a Comparator I.C. its a logic circuit that says, if (Voltage on pin n1) > (Voltage on pin n2) then (Pin n3 goes high or low) depending on the config. Almost certain that was the over voltage protection circuit and preying to my all mighty that it wasn't part of the voltage regulator circuit I removed it and jumped the pins together. I turned on the P.S. and wham!!! a regulated 6.7 volt flow without kicking off the P.S.

So I hooked up the Lamina BL-3000 and man that sucker was bright. They weren't kidding about using sunglasses. This thing lit up my office in broud daylight outputting its full tested 2045 lumens at 100 watts of red light. also my office window overlooks an airstrip, so I set up the LED so it shines straight down the runway and I walked down to the end of it (about a half mile or so). Even out in the sunlight, high noon this led was still as bright as could be. I guess because of the heat rising from the ground it kind of looked like a bright flickering road flare. I can't wait to try again at night!!!:grin2:

Last edited:

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, the BL3000 is a beast!!

lamina1h.jpg

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic

I'm glad the idea worked out, K-Shell. The only Laminas I've played around with are the white BL-2000s at 108 lumens. I wish I had an excuse to order a red BL-3000 just for kicks but I really don't. 2000+ lumens of red light in something about 1 inch square would be really interesting to actually see.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, that's a whopper of a tail light!! ahhaha.

FirstDsent

Enlightened

OddOne said:
I have a white Lamina BL3000 mounted to a 1.25" diameter x 6" long solid copper rod. I'm using a custom-made step-up regulator circuit and a reflector from a theatrical/stage light. It's still a work in progress though but it'll put 130,000+ lux onto a meter @ 1m from the LED array.
oO
I sure hope you post pictures and beamshots of it. It sounds exciting.
Bernie

K-Shell

Newly Enlightened

Ok you guys want to see pics:

heatsink.jpg

this is up close but don't let the camera full ya, its really bright!

spread.jpg

there's not much focus on these arrays, so believe me,
almost 180 degrees of my living room is this bright!

setup.jpg

My custom PC power supply system hooked up to the Lamina,
the multimeter is watching the heatsink temp, I averaged
around 70c/158f with no fan on that sink.

(Notice the flashlight!)

powersupply.jpg

more of my beefed up power supply.

compare.jpg

If you noticed the flashlight that was sitting in front of the Lamina
heat sink, I ran a comparison on the two. River Rock makes the
flashlight. it contains a Nichia Jupiter LED, which is then (Unlike many)
focused through a lense to create a small but somewhat intense spot,
And still the BL3000 almost wipes is out of the picture!

running.jpg

one more of the Lamina running

IT's a Bad Motha F*(ker!!!! :devil:

Heres a LAMINA picture for laughs
Brightest LED array ever recorded
http://led.linear1.org/brightest-led-array-record/

aterion-white.jpg

Last edited:

Navck

Enlightened
Re: What Would You Do For A LAMINA??? (2045 lumens 100 watt) |IMAGES|

Yes... These would be pretty good in the taillights of cars.

K-Shell

Newly Enlightened
Yea i had the same idea of using this LED as the break light on my Harley. iv had some close calls in my life and i want people to see me when i stop. but i still feel sorry for the guy behind me!

sportsterup.jpg

pic of a 2000 HD sportster i rebuilt

Last edited:

Latest posts